IGNORED

Torah observant fundies and the Cormiers

Elaine

Can I crawl out of the woodwork to pose a question (or maybe two)?

Are "Torah observant" fundies in the fundie hierarchy or are they just on their own planet? I am thinking of AnnaMatrix, among others. I have a feeling the fundie royalty would think they are heretics.

I ask this because my personal favorite fundie couple, the flip-flopping Cormiers, have decided (again!) to become Law keepers. I haven't seen discussion here about Brandy and Jason, but I haven't read here for very long. These two open and close a blog every couple of months--whenever they have a "new start" to make.

I left a couple of EXTREMELY polite comments. One was published, the other wasn't and when I pointed it out, I was chided by Brandy, who of course just doesn't "have time" to answer--my favorite fundie dismissal. :teasing-neener: (I need a smilie with it's fingers in it's ears saying "lalalalalala...")

Omg did you see their house tour? I think I've mentioned that I'm not the world's best housekeeper, but wow--they all sleep in the same room, on mattresses on the floor?

And there is STUFF everywhere. I get that houses get messy--but WHY on earth would you put it on the internet looking like that??

Excuse me, I have to go do some chores...

I vote for "on their own planet".

My experience with they hyper Torah observant/Messianic folks is that they would consider VF and other funadmentalists (as well as the rest of Christendom) "not true Christians". So, VF would probably consider them the same, right back. :D

Although, there are a couple of different types that I've met. Super cool people who practice their idea of Messianic Judaism with plenty of grace towards others and without the idea that their particular branch of Christianity is the only valid one. We miss our Messianic friends who moved away recently--they were fabulous to hang out with and our differences were the cause of amazing conversations but never friction.

But then there was the other gal who dressed Amish, and perpetually blogged and posted on fb about how you don't *really* love Jesus if you call him Jesus instead of Yeshua, and how your eternal soul is in danger if you don't celebrate the Sabbath.

It's Brandy's Brood--I think if you google it, you'll find it. It's a pretty short blog, so I think the house tour is on the 2nd or 3rd page.

I have not problem with people who don't have enough $$, or who have messy houses.

I myself am sitting next to a chair that is covered with a sheet--it's a GREAT chair, I just don't like the color--and it is from my awesome Parents in Law. Our (my) house is not perfect, we don't have a lot of $$, etc.--but I'm NOT going to be posting it on the internet.

And I don't have ramdom crap on my walls. That is one of my pet peeves. In fact, I've put--3 hooks on the walls, and one thumb tack. Partly because we're renting, and partly because I just don't like the visual clutter.

She links to Dougie and VF on her side bar. They're not actually Torah observant. They are, today, claiming that they are. That won't last. The only thing they consistently know how to do is change their mind and whine about how they're not understood and are victims. In the last few months they've been on the 'home church' bandwagon, 'real' food, head covering, modest dress, blah, blah, blah. Six months ago they were defending their 'processed food' diet, jeans wearing and Christimas decorating and celebrating. Three months before that, they were Torah observant, 'real' food people.

At any rate. Give it a few weeks and everything will be deleted and the new will pop up elsewhere, probably anonymous, shouting from the rooftops that god has told them what to do this month and dammit, they are right and will do it. For a week.

They are some of the most insecure people ever to attempt an online presence. I also think they give poor white trash* a bad name and for all the connotations that come with saying that, it is still all that enters my head when thinking of them.

Oh, and they really, really want to be persecuted! They are kind of desperate to be among the 'most talked about bloggers' even if that talk is negative. They look for it. They make it up if they are even casually mentioned somewhere.

If she discovers this thread, just wait. There will be a post about how they are following god and everyone else is evil and mean and persecuting them.

*I don't say poor white trash because of their income or their possessions. It has nothing to do with money.

edited because that's what I always have to do.

brandysbrood dot blogspot dot com

(Did I do that right?)

I think the house tour may have been on the last incarnation of her blog. I was a FREAKIN' mess, and I can judge because I have 7 kids from 1 to 15 and my house never has looked like that.

By the way, the Cormiers have 2 kids. I thought a brood was a bunch of offspring--like chicks or goslings or Duggers. Maybe she's just having wishful thinking? That blog title drives me crazy.

One more snark: that post about voluntarily choosing simplicity is so defensive it's funny. They are poor because her husband is a night stocker in a grocery store, not because they gave away their belongings follow Christ (or Yeshua or whatever). They have 5 Compassion children. Cout 'em. FIVE. Did you hear? They have 5 Compassion children!! Brag much?

Jason was offered a million dollars for his songs?! Really? Because I read his poetry once, on one of his many blogs, and it was...ummmm...well...hmmm...

bad. Really. Very. Bad.

Oh, so much to snark about and so little time...

I'm sorry, but if you really believe that your JOB (calling in life, decree of God, whatever) is to SUPPORT YOUR FAMILY, you effing take the money. Or you get a better job. Honestly.

Oh, and they really, really want to be persecuted! They are kind of desperate to be among the 'most talked about bloggers' even if that talk is negative. They look for it. They make it up if they are even casually mentioned somewhere.

If she discovers this thread, just wait. There will be a post about how they are following god and everyone else is evil and mean and persecuting them.

I am aware of their NEED to be persecuted. I am just poking them with a stick, I guess, but Brandy has been my personal crazymaker for a few years. She makes me want to scream. :angry-screaming:

I have never commented on a snark forum before, but thanks for making "my first time" enjoyable.

I am aware of their NEED to be persecuted. I am just poking them with a stick, I guess, but Brandy has been my personal crazymaker for a few years. She makes me want to scream. :angry-screaming:

I have never commented on a snark forum before, but thanks for making "my first time" enjoyable.

I get it. I wasn't commenting on the fact that there is a thread about them. Only that they are predictable and transparent and will take great joy in being talked about because that's what they want. I'm happy to oblige. I've only known of them for a few years and they've been the exact same the entire time and are among the craziest of the crazy. Fortunately, they aren't as known as they'd like to be and they have no real conviction so they'll never be big players in the land of fundie blogging and their insane beliefs will never influence anyone else because they don't stick to any long enough to convince anyone of anything.

their insane beliefs will never influence anyone else because they don't stick to any long enough to convince anyone of anything

Thank you for this. It's the flipping and flopping that sends me over the edge. Pick a life and live it, people!

Ack! Anyone here want to confess to posting the comment "your sheets look dirty"??? :lol:

I seriously want to call bs on her husband being offered a million dollars, but it looks like some of her commenters actually believe it as truth. She reminds me of Emily with the way she seems to glorify them living in poverty as giving it all up for Christ when they barely have anything to give up in the first place.

She reminds me of Emily with the way she seems to glorify them living in poverty as giving it all up for Christ when they barely have anything to give up in the first place.

Doesn't this show up in so many of the fundie wife blogs? I get the feeling that if they had any money or possessions, it would be a whole 'nother story: "God has blessed us for our holiness, so there. You're poor because you're not as holy as we are."

The million dollars is total BS. If Jason is as "socially active" as he claims, he would have taken the money and given it away.

By the way, how can you be a "social activist" if you never actively DO anything to help anyone? As far as I can tell from their various blogs, they refuse to join a church fellowship and they do no charity work at all. In fact, they don't interact with anyone except online. Except for their 5 Compassion kids -- that's FIVE, not four or three, FIVE -- I really don't see them doing any work for the Lord at all.

Wow, I REALLY have issues...can't let it go...need to develop more hobbies.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, that home tour. I recently purchased a house and there were nail and thumb tack holes every freaking where. I patched, and sanded, and patched, and sanded, until I was beyond sick of it. Then I painted, at which point I found more holes that I had missed! I could not imagine why there were nail holes all over the damn place, or what the inside of the house would have looked like with random crap hung on every flat surface. Now I guess I know. If people like that, more power to them, but it's not at all attractive to me.

random crap hung on every flat surface

But if you don't hang a printout of your favorite Bible verses in every room, on every kitchen cabinet, by all the beds, in the bathroom, etc., then how will you remember what you believe (today)?

PSA for Torah-observant Christians: tzniut doesn't mean "fashion victim" in Hebrew.

+1 -- and quoted for truth.

Also, I wonder how confused those kids are going to be if Mom and Dad shift beliefs every three to six months? It may not be much of a problem now, but in a couple of years, one of those girls is going to say, "Mom, why are you throwing out my jeans?" when Brandy decides they have to go to version 3.2 of "Brandy's 'Torah' observance" (after going back to wearing more normal clothes two or three times in the process).

I was flipping through the tv channels and stumbled upon a torah outreach program on the church channel. I couldnt help but snap a photo since hes decked out in religious clothing when hes not even Jewish as well as him butchering the shema prayer.

2mh8n4h.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I noticed they've had lots of blogs and I think Brandy likes being controversial a lot.

I take issue with her post about choosing to live simply (be poor) and refusing a million dollars (why, we don't know) and she says she could easily make a lot of money with her blogs but I don't think she has that many followers does she? I don't think most bloggers make a lot of money unless they are a big blog.

But the house tour, I think she said it was 700 square feet and yes it looks crowded and packed full but I thought it looked organized and tidy. From what I could see they all sleep in the same room so that her girls have a play room. I thought it was a very homey nice place, not messy.

If posting a house tour, AT LEAST clean the damn rooms up! I have posted several rooms in my house and only when those rooms are clean.

By the way, the Cormiers have 2 kids. I thought a brood was a bunch of offspring--like chicks or goslings or Duggers. Maybe she's just having wishful thinking? That blog title drives me crazy.

might be because she does extended breast feeding (she just weened her 2.5 year old) and co sleeping. Which is how a lot of women naturally space out their children specifically those living in pre-industrial societies.

Anyway as for Legalists/torah observent/messanics being outside the loop it seemed like at least Lina had a lot of christian fundie friends who'd comment on her blog, although it was creating some friction at times even though most of the girls had been socialized not to argue or disagree with people. Although LIna did start more or less like a typical fundie and kind of gravitated towards being messianic. I wonder how she's doing these days.

Ack! Anyone here want to confess to posting the comment "your sheets look dirty"??? :lol:

OMG I wish I could say it was me! I saw that photo and thought "I must bookmark!! Here's Emily 2.0!"

Guest Anonymous
She links to Dougie and VF on her side bar. They're not actually Torah observant. They are, today, claiming that they are. That won't last. The only thing they consistently know how to do is change their mind and whine about how they're not understood and are victims. In the last few months they've been on the 'home church' bandwagon, 'real' food, head covering, modest dress, blah, blah, blah. Six months ago they were defending their 'processed food' diet, jeans wearing and Christimas decorating and celebrating. Three months before that, they were Torah observant, 'real' food people.

At any rate. Give it a few weeks and everything will be deleted and the new will pop up elsewhere, probably anonymous, shouting from the rooftops that god has told them what to do this month and dammit, they are right and will do it. For a week.

They are some of the most insecure people ever to attempt an online presence. I also think they give poor white trash* a bad name and for all the connotations that come with saying that, it is still all that enters my head when thinking of them.

*I don't say poor white trash because of their income or their possessions. It has nothing to do with money.

edited because that's what I always have to do.

We could always send them THIS t-shirt!

2h4kier.jpg

Archived