IGNORED

Does Lise know what she signed up for?

PBrooke

So Lise, Cleve M's new wife, is the daughter of a doctor. She hails from Greenville, South Carolina, which is a fairly populated and not far from anything Her house appeared to be in a suburb, albeit a fancy one. Her younger brother's facebook states that he attended a Christian school. It's unclear what they did about the daughters - in fact, Prentiss' site says she was homeschooled before college - but Lise's several years older, and in fact a little old to have been homeschooled her entire life - seems that movement didn't really start picking up steam til the early-mid 90s. At any rate, it would appear her family had the choice to tailor their children's educations individually. Oh, she might have also gone to college (unclear on that one, but Prentiss did) and perhaps even play team volleyball like her younger sister (a few pictures of Lise serving the ball at the New Years Ball weekend refer to her as a 'pro').

Now Lise is a Morton, and about to start her family. But wait, she's probably not remotely near any public or private schools even if she wanted the option. Even if she wanted to loosen up the rules for her own kids, she's got all those in-laws breathing down her neck. And in fact, even if she and Cleve wanted to do their own thing in their own house, like couples do and which, in theory, is even permitted in fundie rules - like wearing bikinis in the backyard or short-shorts around the house - they are, again, surrounded by family who would disapprove. I've often thought of that same thing with Darth and Noah - when you go family compound, you don't even the ability to break your own rules, not even for a honeymoon period.

But Darth, at least, grew up under compound conditions. Given Lise's family's wealth, she might have even had her own room! If I were her, I'd be feeling terribly claustrophobic right about now.

Lise is younger than I am, and I was homeschooled for 1st grade on (in 1983), so she might have been.

I hope that she and Cleve make their own rules for their lives/marriage/family.

Hey her ownership was transferred during the wedding. She traded in her hymen for a pretty dress some cake and life away from the mainstream.

couldn't have said it better!

You would be surprised how many fundie lites from Greenville would trade those things away to "follow the Lord's calling." It pisses me off. Girls like her were friends with my friends (I wasn't quite holy enough for them in college!).

I wouldn't be surprised if she was homeschooled, Greenville is the home for BJU Press and they have probably been publishing homeschool materials forever, just like Abeka - I was video homeschooled through Abeka in the late 90s using VHS. I kid you not, one of those tapes was created in the mid 80s.

About her going to college, I could see her going to BJU or, more likely, North Greenville University - kind of like a Bob Jones Lite college. Still strict, though.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that she went to BJU. Her younger sister Prentiss certainly did - though I don't know if the youngest, Christiana, is.

Archived