IGNORED

Anthropology, fundy version.

eohiken

I loves me some anthropology, nothing better than human evolution to pique my interest. Welp, as it happens I was watching a documentary while avoiding both work and housework, (Planet of the Apes: Battle for Earth, it's about co-existing hominid species) and I thought I'd google a head reconstruction of a homo erectus. Actors with latex brow ridges really doesn't give an accurate image. Stumbled upon this little dandy of a site.

omniology.com

Boy howdy, do they know science better than scientists! Was I ever impressed! They really hate those artistic representations.

Holy 1995 web design, Batman!

As a scientist, the thing that irks me the most about ignorant religious zealots is their complete inability to understand the difference between academic freedom for actual experts publishing in peer-reviewed journals and "academic freedom" for any moron with an angelfire account.

And because they aren't actually educated or experts, that leads us to my second pet peeve... their lack of understanding what a scientific theory is. Theories don't grow up into laws. Gravity is a theory. Molecular orbitals are a theory. Germs causing disease is a theory. Why can't they wrap their minds around this concept?

It may be terribly snobbish of me but I can't take seriously the education of someone who puts a comma after "and" ;-)

I was so confused by the first post here. I thought this was about Anthropologie the clothing store, and thought they were carrying frumpers now!

Holy 1995 web design, Batman!

As a scientist, the thing that irks me the most about ignorant religious zealots is their complete inability to understand the difference between academic freedom for actual experts publishing in peer-reviewed journals and "academic freedom" for any moron with an angelfire account.

And because they aren't actually educated or experts, that leads us to my second pet peeve... their lack of understanding what a scientific theory is. Theories don't grow up into laws. Gravity is a theory. Molecular orbitals are a theory. Germs causing disease is a theory. Why can't they wrap their minds around this concept?

And because they don't triangulate "facts". I mean, anyone who knows how to use google, can quickly figure out that the "civil war pterodactyl" pictures on the above site are a hoax, and a tribute to photoshop. Oh, wait...actually trying to verify by using potentially opposing sources would curtail "academic freedom", right? I wonder how my boss is going to take it that I don't care about my data, because my theory sounds so much better without those pesky findings.

It may be terribly snobbish of me but I can't take seriously the education of someone who puts a comma after "and" ;-)

It's called an Oxford Comma, and it's correct English.

It's called an Oxford Comma, and it's correct English.

Oxford comma comes before "and" unless it's in the phrase "Ifs, ands, or buts".

Oxford comma comes before "and" unless it's in the phrase "Ifs, ands, or buts".

Whoops, sorry, you are right. I should learn to read posts before I reply.

Archived