IGNORED

Are the Duggar daughters ever allowed outside the house alone?

QAF_Rocks

This has been bothering me for a while now.

The Duggars now have four daughters who are legal adults.

In the earlier seasons of the show, it was my understanding that none of the Duggar children were allowed outside the home without chaperones. They always had to go in pairs. However, this is no longer the case. Since John David started his towing business, we have seen him out and about on his own, with no chaperone.

But I have not seen Jana, Jill, Jessa or Jinger out alone. Has anyone else? Is Jana allowed to make a quick trip to Walmart? Can Jill drive to Starbucks without one of her sisters or the camera crew in tow? I suspect it not permitted, and I find that highly disturbing. Not that John David has it so great, but at least he's allowed to leave the compound without being watched.

I think Jinger is responsible for running errands, and yes, all of the Duggar girls can drive.

Whether or not they're paired with a buddy, I don't know.

Oh, I know they can all drive, and I know that they are sent on errands. But I suspect that they have to take another person with them. I don't think they are allowed to go alone. I guess I was asking if anyone has ever seen a lone female Duggar out in public, not paired with a sister or followed by a camera crew.

Are they allowed to? Yes. Are they encouraged to? No.

There's a difference.

If Jill or Jana *had to* run out alone, then they probably could. No one would body slam them to the ground to prevent them from leaving. However, if they're anything like other QF/ATI/IBLP/Patriarchal families, they are not *encouraged* to do anything alone. It's an accountability issue. They believe that people are more likely to sin or attract sin if they're alone. They'll defend it as a "we just like doing things together...most girls like hanging out with their friends" system.

Based on the Bates girl needing a chaperone to go to her college class I figured there was no way the Duggars allow their daughters out alone since even a college requiring parental permission for interracial dating is off the table. Didn't one of the older ones go to a babysitting job with Joy Anna along as a chaperone/"helper" in one episode?

Yeah, I've seen them out. A few weeks ago I saw Jana and Jill together at Wal-Mart with no one else accompanying them. I also once saw Jana at a fast-food restaurant alone with at least five little kids. I felt pretty bad for her.

Yeah, I've seen them out. A few weeks ago I saw Jana and Jill together at Wal-Mart with no one else accompanying them. I also once saw Jana at a fast-food restaurant alone with at least five little kids. I felt pretty bad for her.

What was in the cart?

Are they allowed to? Yes. Are they encouraged to? No.

There's a difference.

If Jill or Jana *had to* run out alone, then they probably could. No one would body slam them to the ground to prevent them from leaving. However, if they're anything like other QF/ATI/IBLP/Patriarchal families, they are not *encouraged* to do anything alone. It's an accountability issue. They believe that people are more likely to sin or attract sin if they're alone. They'll defend it as a "we just like doing things together...most girls like hanging out with their friends" system.

Thanks, Ruth! You have a lot more insight into this lifestyle than the rest of us do. :)

So I'm curious, since the Duggars believe that people alone are more likely to sin, why do they allow John David to work and drive alone? In a patriarchal system, it makes sense that males would get more freedom than females, but I know they also believe that men are more easily tempted than women. Do they not worry about him getting into trouble? He might be exposed to unapproved music or speech on the car radio. He might drive to a store and buy something that's not allowed. He might even strike up a conversation or a secret relationship with someone outside the family.

When you were living at home, was there a difference between how you and your adult brothers were treated?

Thanks! I knew they were allowed out with each other, but I suspect that they never go out alone. Have you ever seen one of them completely alone, with none of her sisters or younger siblings?

Thanks! I knew they were allowed out with each other, but I suspect that they never go out alone. Have you ever seen one of them completely alone, with none of her sisters or younger siblings?

Not that I can think of.

I doubt if they even know what it's like to be "alone", period! I suspect the only time the are actually alone is when they have to use the bathroom and/or shower. They share a room, they are always with someone. They probably naturally "pair up" to run errands.

John David is a boy. :roll: Though I'd love to see a pretty young lady in a pair of short shorts or mini shirt & tank call needing assistance w/ a flat tire or a tow.... ;)

Thanks, Ruth! You have a lot more insight into this lifestyle than the rest of us do. :)

So I'm curious, since the Duggars believe that people alone are more likely to sin, why do they allow John David to work and drive alone? In a patriarchal system, it makes sense that males would get more freedom than females, but I know they also believe that men are more easily tempted than women. Do they not worry about him getting into trouble? He might be exposed to unapproved music or speech on the car radio. He might drive to a store and buy something that's not allowed. He might even strike up a conversation or a secret relationship with someone outside the family.

When you were living at home, was there a difference between how you and your adult brothers were treated?

John-David, at 22, and having his own career, would be considered to be his own man, in preparation for a headship. Yes. I was treated differently from my older brothers. They weren't encouraged to go out alone, either; but, it was understood to be part of the 'growing up' process if they did. I was *not* allowed out without a younger sibling or a chaperone. There's no rational reason for it- it's just part of the belief system.

What would they do about jury duty then?

Good question. I think they would probably go to the courthouse with someone else. If they had jury duty, I wonder if Jim Bob would take them. We've seen him drive them to dentist appointments and hang around during the procedure, so maybe jury duty would be similar.

Good question. I think they would probably go to the courthouse with someone else. If they had jury duty, I wonder if Jim Bob would take them. We've seen him drive them to dentist appointments and hang around during the procedure, so maybe jury duty would be similar.

Are the girls even registered to vote? I know they're campaigning for Santorum, but would they vote or just allow their dad (or future headship) speak for the family in the voting booth?

Are the girls even registered to vote? I know they're campaigning for Santorum, but would they vote or just allow their dad (or future headship) speak for the family in the voting booth?

I think they'd want all the votes they could get... the women wouldn't be expected to think for themselves, though...

Fair enough, I was just wondering since voter registration is used as a source of potential jurors if they would ever even get called in. I wonder if they'd be allowed to vote on certain things. The wording in certain pieces of legislation might defraud their poor little minds.

Even if the girls are allowed to go out alone, how often would they have an occasion to? There's little kids to be responsible for and errands like grocery shopping are going to take more than one person. There's no outside social events or activities for them to attend solo. It's just not that likely to happen.

John-David, at 22, and having his own career, would be considered to be his own man, in preparation for a headship. Yes. I was treated differently from my older brothers. They weren't encouraged to go out alone, either; but, it was understood to be part of the 'growing up' process if they did. I was *not* allowed out without a younger sibling or a chaperone. There's no rational reason for it- it's just part of the belief system.

Thanks, Ruth. That's pretty much what I suspected.

Any bets on what John David is doing with his limited freedom? He seems like such a quiet guy, not one to draw attention to himself. I wonder if he listens to the radio or reads books or magazines that aren't approved by his parents. If I were in his shoes, I would sneak off to the public library and open an account there. ;)

Don't the Duggars live at least semi-out of town? It seems like given that and with so many people they'd be more likely to plan errands so they get a bunch done at once. Otherwise there would be somebody running out to the store every five minutes. That doesn't answer the question of whether the girls are allowed out alone, but it seems like it would make it less likely to ever come up.

Archived