IGNORED

Are the Duggar daughters ever allowed outside the house alone?

QAF_Rocks

I remember in one of the episodes featuring the Bates family, where Michaela stated that there always has to be at least two people when they go to do something, and I even remember when they were being interviewed it seemed they were always paired off etc. Meanwhile the boys were allowed to be out and about alone, but you never see the girls alone.

So I do think its a rule that there always has to be a buddy somewhere, to give an account of what happened etc. Which would really suck!

At the fundie college down the road, theres a rule. Girls can't go anywhere (except work) alone, they have to go in groups of three. Guys can go out on their own, unless there are girls around, then there needs to be at least two guys. Also, girls cant be out after dark (unless they are at work) but guys can.

If you work and you dont have transportation, you have to use the colleges transportation service, but that also costs you money. One time I ran into a guy from the college and he was walking because the bus didnt come and get him. He had to walk several miles. I think I posted about it on the old board.

Good question. I think they would probably go to the courthouse with someone else. If they had jury duty, I wonder if Jim Bob would take them. We've seen him drive them to dentist appointments and hang around during the procedure, so maybe jury duty would be similar.

I wonder what happens at doctor appointments that require wearing a gown in an exam room. Does a J'slave need a chaperone with her? Does JimBob make them check off all the options on the HIPAA form that give him access to their medical information? What if a doctor wanted to talk to an over-18 J'slave privately in the room?

Good question.

I think they would probably go to the courthouse with someone else. If they had jury duty, I wonder if Jim Bob would take them. We've seen him drive them to dentist appointments and hang around during the procedure, so maybe jury duty would be similar.

He can take them to the courthouse but he can't do it for them.Once the selection starts they will be alone with dozens of strangers for likely several hours or possibly days,then hold up in a hotel room alone if they do by some off chance managed to be picked and a jury room of heathens don't forget.And this will happen to all of them if it has not happened yet.

I am pretty sure you can get out of Jury Duty for religious reasons can't you? My Jehovah of Witness friend got called for it once, and she just had to go in there and say they were against it and such and so they got exempt from it?

Good question.

He can take them to the courthouse but he can't do it for them.Once the selection starts they will be alone with dozens of strangers for likely several hours or possibly days,then hold up in a hotel room alone if they do by some off chance managed to be picked and a jury room of heathens don't forget.And this will happen to all of them if it has not happened yet.

Actually, it might not. Even in a small town, one can go their whole life without being called up for Jury duty, apparently. An example is my mother.

And it wouldn't surprise me if religion could be an exemption. The one time I got called in for jury duty there was this one lady who got to leave because she had no one to watch the kids for the next few days. And one of the kids had special needs...I don't remember exactly what those were, but if that is a valid reason to be exempted, then I think religion could be too, though it might depend on the judge?

Interesting that Jana and Jessa is Republican whilst Jill (and Michelle) are 'O' whatever that means.... also Jinger isn't on there!

Well Jinger just turned 18 a couple weeks ago, so that could explain why she isn't on the list yet?

I was *not* allowed out without a younger sibling or a chaperone. There's no rational reason for it- it's just part of the belief system.

Ah, but there IS a rational reason for not allowing a female out alone. She is weak and needs to be protected! A girl or woman alone might accidentally defraud someone or be defrauded, she could sin in some other way if not accompanied by an accountability partner, she might actually speak to a male who is not a blood relative, and most of all, she could escape if allowed to go out alone.

Well Jinger just turned 18 a couple weeks ago, so that could explain why she isn't on the list yet?

I'm in the UK but I pre-registered as a 17 year old so I would be eligible on my 18th birthday. I would imagine it's the same in other countries.

Archived