IGNORED

Fundies on Netflix/Hulu

MandyLaLa

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion about either tv specials on fundie families, like the Duggars and Bates, and also if there are any good documentaries for films about fundie life/beliefs that are good to watch.

TIA

I watched Jesus Camp instantly on Netflix. I think it's DVD only now, though. It was scary.

This riveting Oscar-nominated documentary offers an unfiltered look at a revivalist subculture in which devout Christian youngsters are being primed to deliver the fundamentalist community's religious and political messages. Building an evangelical army of tomorrow, the Kids on Fire summer camp in Devil's Lake, N.D., is dedicated to deepening the preteens' spirituality and sowing the seeds of political activism.

only thing I can think of at the moment is 'Kids by the Dozen'... big families and a lot of them fundies or at least crazy lol!

I watched Jesus Camp instantly on Netflix. I think it's DVD only now, though. It was scary.

Yes! Seconded. It's horrifying, but it's kind of got that "train wreck" aspect where you just can't stop watching. :shock:

Also, you may want to check out For the Bible Tells Me So. It was pretty good:

An exploration of the intersection between religion and homosexuality in the U.S. and how the religious right has used its interpretation of the Bible to stigmatize the gay community.

I saw Jesus camp it was my first real fundie documentary it was terrifyingly good.

Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi is really good, as is The Trials of Ted Haggard. I saw both as HBO documentaries a while ago.

There are a couple good docs on the Phelps family and Westboro Baptist "Church" on Netflix. I'd also recommend, on Hulu, the doc Out in the Silence, which is about gay bashing in small town America. It features a pastor who has to come to terms with his anti-gay beliefs.

Casterly, thank you for the the suggestion, "For the Bible Tells Me So."

I can't remember smiling through tears while watching a documentary for a long time. Of course, a lot of it is scary, but those families who rallied around...and I love the real theologians who point out the errors so many have with scripture about homosexuality. As a bisexual woman married to a man, this doc meant a lot to me. :clap:

"For The Bible Tells Me So" was excellent.

Sadly they took 17 KAC and 18 KAC off Netflix streaming recently, and they were great for easy viewing of old episodes without resorting to youtube. If you want to watch that movie "Fireproof" (starring the fundie fave Kirk Cameron) that the Duggars are always pushing though, apparently it's on streaming. I've been meaning to check it out just to try and glean some kind of understanding of these people from it.

Casterly, thank you for the the suggestion, "For the Bible Tells Me So."

I can't remember smiling through tears while watching a documentary for a long time. Of course, a lot of it is scary, but those families who rallied around...and I love the real theologians who point out the errors so many have with scripture about homosexuality. As a bisexual woman married to a man, this doc meant a lot to me. :clap:

That's so awesome, glad to help!

Archived