IGNORED

The Tolerance Rant From Driscoll

debrand

I understand that this is supposed to be funny so he might be using hyperbole. Howver, I still find it troubling. His sermon style seems very, very immature. He sounds like a 12 year old. Perhaps he is funny to Christians, his humor isn't funny to me and I like silly, goofy humor.

The first part touches on the ownership of daughters. No, Mark does not say that he owns his daughters. However, I have noticed in even evangelical society that fathers are encouraged to take interest in their daughters sexuality and adult decisions.

(Before the two minute mark)"No one marries you, touches you, speaks to you, looks at you, text messages you, emails you, or gets to be in the same zipcode as you unless they love Jesus and I love them too....Other wise my daughter is going to get hooked up with some wingnut whack job and then he is going to be at my house for Thanksgiving dinner and I am going to have a fork in one night and a knife in the other and something really bad is going to happen."

2:22 Summary. He gets really pissed when he turns on his car radio and hears that a rabbi will teach Christians about the Old Testament. He doesn't think that a non Christian should teach Christians about the Old Testament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_MLUuNK ... ure=relmfu

Ya, I can see why he wouldn't want some wingnut whack job around his family. It would be some serious competition for him!

Ya, I can see why he wouldn't want some wingnut whack job around his family. It would be some serious competition for him!

:clap:

I"ve posted a youtube video before but I can't remember how I did it.

What bothers me is that Mark seems to believe that he can control his daughters' choices their entire life. What if they fell in love with a Buddhist or a Jewish person or an atheist? Also, the man has a son too. Doesn't he have these talks with all his kids?

We all want our children to make wise choices when they marry but most of us realize that we can't control what our adult children do. We have to trust that we have given the the proper tools needed to make decisions and to stand on their own two feet.

Also, I really don't understand Driscoll's appeal. His maturity level in this sermon seems to be that of a little kid. Honestly, after all the talk of his encouraging men to be manly men, I expected someone with a different style. Can one of you watch the video and tell me what you think?

I"ve posted a youtube video before but I can't remember how I did it.

What bothers me is that Mark seems to believe that he can control his daughters' choices their entire life. What if they fell in love with a Buddhist or a Jewish person or an atheist? Also, the man has a son too. Doesn't he have these talks with all his kids?

We all want our children to make wise choices when they marry but most of us realize that we can't control what our adult children do. We have to trust that we have given the the proper tools needed to make decisions and to stand on their own two feet.

Also, I really don't understand Driscoll's appeal. His maturity level in this sermon seems to be that of a little kid. Honestly, after all the talk of his encouraging men to be manly men, I expected someone with a different style. Can one of you watch the video and tell me what you think?

To embed a YouTube video all you have to do is get the code from the end of the video URL and place it between [ youtube ][ /youtube] (without spaces obvs).

To be fair, he does talk about his son and mentions that it wouldn't be right for any of his kids to date/have sex/anything fun ever.

I don't get his appeal either. I find him no different than a WWF wrestler during one of their soap opera moments. He is all screaming and throbbing forehead veins. He seems like a Grade A jackass.

To embed a YouTube video all you have to do is get the code from the end of the video URL and place it between [ youtube ][ /youtube] (without spaces obvs).

To be fair, he does talk about his son and mentions that it wouldn't be right for any of his kids to date/have sex/anything fun ever.

I don't get his appeal either. I find him no different than a WWF wrestler during one of their soap opera moments. He is all screaming and throbbing forehead veins. He seems like a Grade A jackass.

Except with a WWF wrestler, most people understand that they are just acting a part. Driscoll is a pastor and Christians are supposed to look to their pastors for direction. However, Driscoll seems to have watched one too many episodes of MTV because he acts like the sterotypical man/boy that the media tries to push on us as a regular guy.

Thanks for the information on embedding videos. That was driving me crazy.

What bothers me is that Mark seems to believe that he can control his daughters' choices their entire life.

He not only believes that of his daughters but also his sons. Have you read his "Letter to Gideon" (his youngest child)? In that missile, he states that if Gideon were to grow up to be a universalist or a Pelagian, Mark would have to "oppose vigorously oppose him with tears of grief" because Mark "love(s) Jesus more than I love you". He ends that section by saying, "..you cannot be a universalist or a Pelagian."

Oh and in that same letter he said he was "sure" his first child would be a boy and he was "shocked" when he held his daughter for the first time. Now it could be that he just felt a strong premonition about having a boy (he does claim to be prophetic, as you know) and was surprised he was wrong OR it could be that he is such a MANLY man, such a MAN'S man that he thought it was impossible for him to sire female offspring.

He not only believes that of his daughters but also his sons. Have you read his "Letter to Gideon" (his youngest child)? In that missile, he states that if Gideon were to grow up to be a universalist or a Pelagian, Mark would have to "oppose vigorously oppose him with tears of grief" because Mark "love(s) Jesus more than I love you". He ends that section by saying, "..you cannot be a universalist or a Pelagian."

And that leaves me to wonder how he thinks that he can stop his adult children from doing anything that they want.

He can cry, threaten, disown them all that he wants. If they decide to go against his wishes, there isn't much that he can do. Some people really have a problem understanding that they can not control a situation.

Oh and in that same letter he said he was "sure" his first child would be a boy and he was "shocked" when he held his daughter for the first time. Now it could be that he just felt a strong premonition about having a boy (he does claim to be prophetic, as you know) and was surprised he was wrong OR it could be that he is such a MANLY man, such a MAN'S man that he thought it was impossible for him to sire female offspring.

And I imagine he doesn't accept the fact that it is actually his sperm that determined the sex of his child.

And that leaves me to wonder how he thinks that he can stop his adult children from doing anything that they want.

He can cry, threaten, disown them all that he wants. If they decide to go against his wishes, there isn't much that he can do. Some people really have a problem understanding that they can not control a situation.

It is a sickening quality that is far too common in the ultra-religious. That whole control freak thing is really scary.

Well, that was eye-opening. I had never heard of Driscoll before coming to this board, and as crazy as his marriage book sounded, a video rant is worth a thousand words.

Certainly not a drop of intellect there - just the WWF-style poses and rants.

The part that's sticking with me is him screaming after seeing an ad from a rabbi. Now, we can have a discussion about whether or not it's useful to have interfaith dialogue or learn our own religious texts with someone from a different religious background - but this wasn't a discussion. It's a primal rant, he's talking about seeing the rabbi's picture and screaming, and he's preaching to folks who must like his lots of yelling and no big words approach. That's a tad scary.

Also, I'm sure it's hyperbole, but what's with the "no being in the same zip code as someone who doesn't love Jesus" thing? Ya gonna drive the Jews and Muslims out of the neighborhood?

What gets to me is his anger. Really, if he is this vehemently angry about a rabbi teaching about the bible, it makes me wonder how he deals with family issues at home. I would hope he doesn't growl and flex his muscles when his children upset him.

He reminds me of Fred Flintstone.

Ah, he'll probably have a heart attack before he starts his next decade. I wonder what his blood pressure is?

Archived