IGNORED

Rebecca's dad wrote a book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WonderingInWA

Rebecca-exclamation-point's dad has written a book! Who is going to be the first to purchase and report back to us what is says?

hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-for-kellums.html

Also, I think she must read here because her overuse of exclamation points in her Maxwell comments has dropped significantly.

" Jerry W Kellum is a happily married father of five children, ..."

He's got 5 kids? Who are the other 3 besides Rebecca and Annah? Hm.

The book description, which I presume was written by Rebecca's dad:

Do you want to avoid life's common pitfalls? Experience is a great teacher,YES! However, somethings are best not experienced first hand. In " Thoughts From Him " Jerry Kellum shares from his wealth of wisdom from the school of hard knocks, and from his personal relationship with The Lord, how you can walk a smoother path than he did. In this smorgasbord of wisdom, Mr Kellum discusses a wide variety of subjects with a wealth of insight for many areas of life. Yet his delivery is simple, practical, and riddled with scriptural insight. Thoughts From Him includes: His personal journey from a rebellious youth, to an angry failure-of-a-husband-and-father, to the wise and humble servant leader he is today. Wisdom and biblical insight how you may embark on this journey. Courtship, dating, and preparing for marriage. Marriage and family. Work and finances. Prayer, forgiveness and spiritual warfare. Even original music,poetry,one-liners, and some favorite family recipe's. Jerry W Kellum is a happily married father of five children, who possesses a sincere desire to share his wisdom with others for God's glory. Mr Kellum is now living in Missouri with his wife Mary, and two adult daughters Rebecca and Annah.

Oh dear! The grammar and punctuation is appalling. If this is anything like the book, then no thanks!

smorgasbord of wisdom

:shock:

If he says so, I'll take his word for it until shown otherwise. But it's certainly not a shining example of punctuation, grammar, or style, which doesn't give me high hopes for content either.

I like that that smiley is called shock, because that's pretty much the face I was making as I read his summary.

I hope Mr. Kellum didn't teach his children about writing. His summary is godawful. It's full of sentence fragments and misused punctuation marks.

If he was "wayward" formerly, perhaps they are kids from a previous marriage? Either that or maybe the other kids are older and long since moved out of the house?

As for the writing sample... egads. Yeah. Of course, he doesn't need to write so much on the job (he does maintenance) so it's perhaps not such a problem day to day, but wow, he really could use an editor, if he recognizes the problem!

i was scrolling through R!!!!!'s photos last night on my phone, while waiting for dinner to be ready, and was DYING of curiosity about dad's book.

Thanks for the link. Sadly, my curiosity only lasted about a page and a half.

Wait, the title of his book is Thoughts From Him: Challenging thoughts from our Lord Jesus Christ: encouragement revelations and a little humor?

Like, two colons in the title? Seriously?

That strikes me as him thinking he was being an academic by having a title with a colon in it without him realizing that the subtitle technically comes after a colon. Which makes me think he's really dumb. Which makes me not at all want to read his book.

Maybe they're "angel babies"....

Maybe they're "angel babies"....

That's my guess unless he's one to shun children and shunned his from a "rebellious youth".

Guest Anonymous

It looks as though both he and Mrs Kellum had children in previous marriages. I was googling Jerry's book and found this 2004 newspaper article about Mrs Kellum's deceased son.

Read more here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ledger ... rylink=cpy

Two things of note:

1 Jerry is a tool in the things he said to the press for his stepson's obituary:

Even Jerry Kellum admits that his stepson had a heavy foot. "He got one of his cars up to 145 miles an hour," he said, smiling.

2 what a horrible writing style for the obit. I have never seen news reported in this horrible 'fictional' style before (edit: oh yes I have, actually: the news report about the Beasley boy who shot his wife was equally cringey)- is this a typical style for local papers in the US?

ETA: And from another obit., this:

Sims was survived by his mother, Margaret Peppers Kellum, and her husband, Jerry Kellum of Alexander City; his father, John Thomas Sims Sr. of Millbrook; two sisters, a half-brother and half-sister and three stepsisters.

I wonder if Rebecca and Annah are related by blood? And where are all the other siblings?

NO, I've never seen that writing style for an obit before. It is poorly written, and just doesn't seem very respectful to the deceased.

NO, I've never seen that writing style for an obit before. It is poorly written, and just doesn't seem very respectful to the deceased.

I've seen that style before in papers here in Illinois - I think the key is that it's probably NOT a regular obit. I suspect that because this was a military death, it ran as a feature article in the local section. It reads that way to me - I would not be surprised to find such an article on the front page of the local section of my paper. Usually such articles, glurgey as they are, are written with only the best of intentions, too. (Doesn't change the awkward weirdness of the outcome, mind you...)

The beauty of self-publishing these days is that pretty much anybody can get something in print if they want to.

This is also the HUGE SCREAMING PROBLEM of self-publishing. *shudder*

Archived