IGNORED

Update on Michelle

Mars

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it's real. (as far as I know)

The report of 'miscarriage' is a bit misleading. They went to a dr appt, presumably to do an ultrasound and find the gender of the baby. during the ultrasound they found out the baby's heart had stopped beating. The baby has died in her womb. There are then a few options, two of which are to induce the mother and she will deliver the baby, or to wait and allow her to go into labor naturally (which will generally happen within a week or so) and deliver the already deceased baby. B/c of Michelle's last C section they do not want to induce her b/c it could cause a uterine rupture. So the doctor has reccomended that she allow her body to go into labor naturally and deliver the baby without being induced. If that doesn't happen in a couple of weeks, they'll likely have to revisit that issue.

The report of 'miscarriage' is a bit misleading. They went to a dr appt, presumably to do an ultrasound and find the gender of the baby. during the ultrasound they found out the baby's heart had stopped beating. The baby has died in her womb. There are then a few options, two of which are to induce the mother and she will deliver the baby, or to wait and allow her to go into labor naturally (which will generally happen within a week or so) and deliver the already deceased baby. B/c of Michelle's last C section they do not want to induce her b/c it could cause a uterine rupture. So the doctor has reccomended that she allow her body to go into labor naturally and deliver the baby without being induced. If that doesn't happen in a couple of weeks, they'll likely have to revisit that issue.

How long could they wait?

How long could they wait?

It sort of seems like they've already waited too long; I think the general course of action is 1-2 weeks. If the articles are correct and the baby died around 16 weeks, it's already been 3 weeks and she hasn't miscarried yet. Of course, the articles could be wrong about the dates; I know they were wrong about some of the ages and other little details they mentioned. Or the doctors could be unsure about the exact time of fetal demise. If they wait 4+ weeks, the risks of infection, etc. really go up. They'll have to weigh that against the possibility of uterine rupture

Which kind of shows that her doctor was talking complete and utter bullshit when he said her uterus was in good condition after she had Josie.

Which kind of shows that her doctor was talking complete and utter bullshit when he said her uterus was in good condition after she had Josie.

No kidding! This is wayyyy more serious and dangerous than I could've imagined. She could very easily have died, and potentially, I'm guessing, still could if the miscarriage delivery doesn't go well. How completely irresponsible of them to get pregnant again.

I do hope she makes it through the process ok though. My sis went through this...having to wait to deliver the deceased fetus. It was devastating.

No kidding! This is wayyyy more serious and dangerous than I could've imagined. She could very easily have died, and potentially, I'm guessing, still could if the miscarriage delivery doesn't go well. How completely irresponsible of them to get pregnant again.

I do hope she makes it through the process ok though. My sis went through this...having to wait to deliver the deceased fetus. It was devastating.

I bet it was TLC editing, the doctor likely added "considering what she's put it through" but of course TLC wouldn't air that.

Can they go in and do a C-Section under these circumstances?

they said the foetus was measuring at 16 weeks not that it died at 16 weeks. I doubt they are waiting just for the fun of it...

Can they go in and do a C-Section under these circumstances?

From what I read, the last C-Section with Josie was using a different kind of incision than the others. My guess is that they used a vertical one to get the baby out fast as opposed to the good old bikini cut. That kind of incision has inherent risks with it, especially on a uterus as thin as Michelle's was supposed to be.

In an emergency cesarean this will most likely be a vertical incision (from the navel to the pubic area) which will allow the health care provider to deliver the baby faster. The classical incision made vertically, is usually reserved for complicated situations such as placenta previa, emergencies, or babies with abnormalities.
http://www.americanpregnancy.org

No, that's not it. Pregnancy after c-sections is safe, however, induction with pitocin and/or with the cervix ripening drug greatly increases the risk of uterine rupture. It goes from something lik .7% to 3%. However, Michelle has had a total of 2 or 3 c-sections total, so it would be an even higher increase for her.

I studied this in-depth when planning a VBAC for myself (which failed, FTR, but not due to a rupture and my "baby" is now 7.)

Now that I've read more, if she does have a vertical scar (hard to know for sure) she can't VBAC at all and needs another c-section. I'm guessing she doesn't because with a horizontal scar you can VBAC, but induction really raises the risk. Of course, the main risk of a rupture is death of the baby, and that's a non-issue. But for Michelle, I bet the biggest concern is that you really shouldn't become pregnant again after a rupture, and she's probably hoping for another one.

Then they don't induce folks. They go in an remove the baby via c section.

My SIL was induced the day after they discovered the baby had died in utero (they presumed it had been close to two weeks since the baby died). She had been feeling a bit flu-like but didn't think anything of it. She found out at 16 weeks when they were doing the U/S.

I can't imagine having to go through that.

It's standard practice to avoid certain inducing agents with a history of C/S.

I thought she had an inverted T C/S with Josie? Which, even without her history of extreme pgcy, would put her higher risk than for a LUCS or even a classical incision.

I'm confused. If it's just about safety, couldn't they do a D&E? I had a D&E at 16 weeks - I have no idea what happened in regards to contractions etc., because I was out cold - I did NOT want to be awake for that. Or would the chances of the fetus being damaged rule that out for them? I'd imagine right now, they're probably using herbs etc. to try to bring things on, given what they've shown with using herbs at births, and Jill's midwifery training and all. I'm not meaning to sound callous - I've been through it, and I know it's hell - but a fetus measuring 16 weeks is still really small, not something that would be like birthing even a 25 weeker. Her uterus wouldn't be so big that the scar tissue would be as stretched as it would be at 40 weeks - or does gestation matter in that area, with the scar and VBAC? I've only had c-sections, never vaginal birth, so I've never gotten far with labor and haven't read a lot on VBAC, and admit I don't know much from personal experience here.

I think I read in one article that since Jill is studying to be a midwife she had used a doppler to listen to the heartbeat as recently as the 25th of Nov and had heard a heartbeat.

I don't think they meant that Jill was monitoring her or providing her care or anything. I think that like a lot of ladies I know, they have one of those hand held dopplers and would listen to the baby's heartbeat occasionally. I know several women that have one b/c it gives them peace of mind to be able to listen to the baby and their other children enjoy listening to it as well.

I'm also speculating that Michelle just wants to avoid more surgery if possible and would prefer to just allow it to happen naturally if at all possible. Just speculation though :) :)

I'm confused. If it's just about safety, couldn't they do a D&E? I had a D&E at 16 weeks - I have no idea what happened in regards to contractions etc., because I was out cold - I did NOT want to be awake for that. Or would the chances of the fetus being damaged rule that out for them? I'd imagine right now, they're probably using herbs etc. to try to bring things on, given what they've shown with using herbs at births, and Jill's midwifery training and all. I'm not meaning to sound callous - I've been through it, and I know it's hell - but a fetus measuring 16 weeks is still really small, not something that would be like birthing even a 25 weeker. Her uterus wouldn't be so big that the scar tissue would be as stretched as it would be at 40 weeks - or does gestation matter in that area, with the scar and VBAC? I've only had c-sections, never vaginal birth, so I've never gotten far with labor and haven't read a lot on VBAC, and admit I don't know much from personal experience here.

That would be like having an abortion and they need to avoid the appearance of evil. :naughty:

Just wanted to add support to the fact that just because the fetus was measuring at 16 weeks, doesn't mean it expired at 16 weeks. I recently had to terminate a pregnancy due to serious complications, and it just so happened that I knew with absolute certainty the very day I conceived. Despite that, there was about a 3 week difference between the actual gestational age of the fetus and how it was measuring (which, considering this was an early termination, was a pretty big difference). With a second trimester miscarriage, there had probably been problems with the fetus for some time, and it could very easily have had some stunted development especially within the last 2 weeks of growth. Just saying, sometimes it's hard to measure.

I think I read in one article that since Jill is studying to be a midwife she had used a doppler to listen to the heartbeat as recently as the 25th of Nov and had heard a heartbeat.

I don't think they meant that Jill was monitoring her or providing her care or anything. I think that like a lot of ladies I know, they have one of those hand held dopplers and would listen to the baby's heartbeat occasionally. I know several women that have one b/c it gives them peace of mind to be able to listen to the baby and their other children enjoy listening to it as well.

I'm also speculating that Michelle just wants to avoid more surgery if possible and would prefer to just allow it to happen naturally if at all possible. Just speculation though :) :)

If she was 19w 1day gestation, and the baby stopped growing at 16 weeks, I doubt that was baby's heartbeat that Jill was picking up on the Doppler/baby beat on the 11/25. We know that fetal death was confirmed 14 days after the 25th, but it's likely death had occurred prior to that. I really think that as inexperienced as she is, it's likely Michelle's heartbeat that Jill heard on the Doppler.

That would be like having an abortion and they need to avoid the appearance of evil. :naughty:

Yeah, I thought that might be a factor, but wasn't sure.

As much as I'd love to snark on Jill providing care for Michelle, I still have to agree that just because the fetus stopped growing at 16 weeks, doesn't mean that it died at 16 weeks. I don't think we'll ever know the story on that one, but I believe it's possible Jill could have heard the heartbeat.

Archived