IGNORED

New Bates Blog

SamuraiKatz

Erin was allowed to make this entry. I only found one stand out grammatical error in her post. This makes me think Kelly is the better SOTDRT teacher.

gilbatesfamily.com/2011/11/26/romania/

P.S. I tried to read Mullet's blog this evening. As I read through her most recent entries, all I could think was: Good grief! You've written TWO books and this is the best you can do? TLC needs to provide a ghost writer or tutor or something....

All I can say is... Wow, Erin has really BIG hair.

Erin's hair and her inflated ego need their own zip code.... Too bad she has a little mini-me (Alyssa) who will no doubt have the same big hair and probably the same big ego as her big sister. I hope someone with green hair and piercings comes along and springs one of them.....

Erin's hair and her inflated ego need their own zip code.... Too bad she has a little mini-me (Alyssa) who will no doubt have the same big hair and probably the same big ego as her big sister. I hope someone with green hair and piercings comes along and springs one of them.....

just gimme the green hair dye, i got the piercings! and i'd LOVE to do something like that...;)

Mission trips must be the new beige amonst fundie teenager girls, everyone's doing it!

Mission trips must be the new beige amonst fundie teenager girls, everyone's doing it!

Someone has to teach those poor, godless children in those third world countries about GOD!!! That's why the Duggars keep going back to Honduras. Hello Dim Boob and the crunchy j'Mullet crew, Honduras is a country with a long and rich Catholic history. It makes me want to scream every time they go there. Along with Boob's Spanglish.

The Duggars go to El Salvador. They only went into Honduras on a short day trip during last December's trip.

Love how those gypsies dressed the part. They may be descendents who like to dress up, but they're culturally probably as much gypsy than I am fundie. The set-ups so as not to expose the kids to anything too real is pretty much the opposite of what a real mission is supposed to accomplish. Knowing the dumbshits at ATI, the tracts were probably also in English. :roll:

Erin is as fond of commas as she is of rollers and bouffants.

Yes but everyone knows Catholics are not real Christians.

I know, we're heathens and we worship statues and pray to Saints. Also, we don't read the Bible. But, we hold a hell of a Bingo and we can throw festivals and serve liquor like nobody's business!!!!!! Also, we have kickass football teams!!!! :lol:

The Duggars go to El Salvador. They only went into Honduras on a short day trip during last December's trip.

Love how those gypsies dressed the part. They may be descendents who like to dress up, but they're culturally probably as much gypsy than I am fundie. The set-ups so as not to expose the kids to anything too real is pretty much the opposite of what a real mission is supposed to accomplish. Knowing the dumbshits at ATI, the tracts were probably also in English. :roll:

Erin is as fond of commas as she is of rollers and bouffants.

I can't be totally right all the time.... LOL and more than half of the population of El Salvador is Catholic. But as it was stated up thread, Catholics aren't really Christians, so J'Boob and the ATI crew had to go and save the children and minister the word of God to them.

And yes, I'm sure those tracts were printed only in English.... unless one of the fundies has mastered Rosetta Stone and translated the text..... nwah, because that would take away from prayin' to Jesus for the sinners of the world and makin' baybeez.

Totally agree that they have to save the poor, unwashed Catholics from themselves!!111111

And in Romania, I guess they have to save them from some form of Eastern Orthodoxy, which is almost as bad!!!!!!!!!11

Love how those gypsies dressed the part. They may be descendents who like to dress up, but they're culturally probably as much gypsy than I am fundie.

Actually, gypsy culture is very much alive in eastern Europe. They are a disadvantaged minority, and they prefer to be called Roma.

Actually, gypsy culture is very much alive in eastern Europe. They are a disadvantaged minority, and they prefer to be called Roma.

I thought the Roma were considered a racial minority; in those pics they're all dressed up like it's party time. Why would they agree to meet with a Christian group en masse unless they are less practicing the culture than converted Christians re-enacting their past, sort of like Southerners and the antebellum era (Dougie, et al, I'm lookin' at you)?

I figured that the people in the red shirts might be part of a performing group or something. Roma do dress up and perform for those outside their culture - it's part of their tradition.

They just look like Romanians in traditional dress. Unless they were Rom dressing up for the tourists.

Which picture are we talking about? In the one that's labeled "Gypsy camp", the people are more dark and Roma-looking, and look like they're wearing matching clothes for a stage performance or something. The people in the picture to the right of it are more "average-Romanian" looking, and wearing traditional Romanian clothes. They appear to be singing, so they were probably a performing group too.

I was just disagreeing with Marmalade's assertion that the Roma were only play-acting at having Roma culture. Yeah, there's some assimilation and modernization going on, but they do have their own language, their own music, there own customs and ways of dressing.

[Edited to make clear who I was responding to.]

Actually, my assertion was leaning more toward the assimilation factor and that these particular Roma are converted Christians who act out the parts of their ancestors.

I don't think Gothard would let these "missionaries" anywhere near real gypsies, especially after watching the BBC series on the English Roma and Travellers (who are Catholic...not sure what religion the Eastern European Roma practice).

Someone has to teach those poor, godless children in those third world countries about GOD!!! That's why the Duggars keep going back to Honduras. Hello Dim Boob and the crunchy j'Mullet crew, Honduras is a country with a long and rich Catholic history. It makes me want to scream every time they go there. Along with Boob's Spanglish.

Somewhere I heard that the main targets for the missionaries in Latin America are people who call themselves Catholics but don't regularly attend Mass or otherwise practice their faith. Some of these folks left the Catholic Church for whatever reason while others were raised in homes that were not especially religious (i.e. Christmas Catholics). I doubt that the fundies will be able to convert large numbers of devout Catholics. IIRC, Romanians are mostly Orthodox, but the same principle probably applies to them, too.

Which picture are we talking about? In the one that's labeled "Gypsy camp", the people are more dark and Roma-looking, and look like they're wearing matching clothes for a stage performance or something. The people in the picture to the right of it are more "average-Romanian" looking, and wearing traditional Romanian clothes. They appear to be singing, so they were probably a performing group too.

I was just disagreeing with Marmalade's assertion that the Roma were only play-acting at having Roma culture. Yeah, there's some assimilation and modernization going on, but they do have their own language, their own music, there own customs and ways of dressing.

[Edited to make clear who I was responding to.]

I was referring to the folks on the right in traditional dress. Looking closely I finally saw the picture title 'gypsy camp', that distinguishes that particular photo.

Wonder if they ran into any vampires in Romania? It is the source of the Dracula legend, which was modeled on Vlad the Impaler. Do you think a vamp would be worse than a college student with green hair??

according to wikipedia 87% are orthodox, 6% catholics and 7% protestants. Like I thought a good number of them are Protestants - evangelical. I remember seeing reports on how they would meet every year and at this meeting adults would get baptized.

but most have their own evangelical culture I guess.

Some are catholics, others are mulsims.

Some of these folks left the Catholic Church for whatever reason while others were raised in homes that were not especially religious (i.e. Christmas Catholics). I doubt that the fundies will be able to convert large numbers of devout Catholics. IIRC, Romanians are mostly Orthodox, but the same principle probably applies to them, too.

Christmas Catholics AKA: Christeasters...... LOL

Archived