IGNORED

baptist church: if gay's can't marry, we won't marry anyone

browncoatslytherin

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/21/ ... d-for.html

i was quite surprised to see this, but a baptist church in north carolina has said that until there is marriage equality, they will not perform any marriages. i gotta say, i was quite proud of them when i read this.

*edited* to add: now, they will perform ceremonies, but the pastor refuses to sign any marriage certificate.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/21/1660556/pullen-baptist-takes-a-stand-for.html

i was quite surprised to see this, but a baptist church in north carolina has said that until there is marriage equality, they will not perform any marriages. i gotta say, i was quite proud of them when i read this.

Your subject line doesn't make sense: if gays can marry, we won't perform them says to me that even if gays can marry the church won't marry them.

edited to remove what didn't need to be added

Your subject line doesn't make sense: if gays can marry, we won't perform them says to me that even if gays can marry the church won't marry them. (gay's= gay is or gay has, neither makes sense either)

The story says that until gays can legally marry the church will not perform any marriages. That is a totally different thing than your subject line says.

sorry. will change. i was trying to compress it but i guess it didn't come out right lol.

*edit* oh, and i just caught the spelling mistake, too, the "can" instead of "can't". damnit, fingers, why won't you type what i want you to??

Your subject line doesn't make sense: if gays can marry, we won't perform them says to me that even if gays can marry the church won't marry them. (gay's= gay is or gay has, neither makes sense either)

The story says that until gays can legally marry the church will not perform any marriages. That is a totally different thing than your subject line says.

Oh Jesus Christ. You couldn't infer what she meant? Or are you the self-appointed grammar and mechanics police now? Are you sure you'll be able to adequately hold that position atop that horse you're on?

Now, with that out of the way, good for that church. I wonder if they will receive much backlash?

Oh Jesus Christ. You couldn't infer what she meant? Or are you the self-appointed grammar and mechanics police now? Are you sure you'll be able to adequately hold that position atop that horse you're on?

Now, with that out of the way, good for that church. I wonder if they will receive much backlash?

Actually I almost didn't open it because I didn't care to read about a church that wasn't going to marry gays even if it was legal. I don't read every thread here, maybe you do.

I say good for the church too.

And no high horse for me, thanks just the same.

Actually I almost didn't open it because I didn't care to read about a church that wasn't going to marry gays even if it was legal. I don't read every thread here, maybe you do.

I say good for the church too.

And no high horse for me, thanks just the same.

Whether or not you were going to open the thread has nothing to do with your earlier condescending post. And yes, your horse is mighty high; it comes through in every single one of your posts.

Whether or not you were going to open the thread has nothing to do with your earlier condescending post. And yes, your horse is mighty high; it comes through in every single one of your posts.

Every single post, interesting. Don't read them then.

Thank you for proving my point. That was lovely of you.

Was my reply to you about the Vanderhoff family from the high horse too? If so I honestly don't get it, or you.

whoah, guys, please don't fight!

Will do Shotgun. :) And I didn't mean anything personal when I posted about the subject line. Sometimes it's hard to find a subject line that fits what you're posting. I'm not very good myself with subject lines.

Will do Shotgun. :) And I didn't mean anything personal when I posted about the subject line. Sometimes it's hard to find a subject line that fits what you're posting. I'm not very good myself with subject lines.

i knew you didn't, no worries. :) can i claim a pounding headache as disabling me at the moment?

and just for reference, my original title of the thread was: "a baptist church: if gay's can marry, we won't perform it". i had accidentally typed "can" instead of "can't" and didn't realize it, but i also realized after rereading it that even if it said "can't" it was still a little vague and weird. i like the new title better anyway.

Was my reply to you about the Vanderhoff family from the high horse too? If so I honestly don't get it, or you.

Well, let's see... I ask who the Vanderhoff family of 23 people is... You tell me a family with 21 children, because I apparently can't do math.

You chastise people for not having avatars up to your standards.

Would you like me to continue? Because I can.

rox, please don't fight. i don't want this thread to be locked. also, if you'll read my above post, my original title WAS misleading, though not intentionally.

rox, please don't fight. i don't want this thread to be locked. also, if you'll read my above post, my original title WAS misleading, though not intentionally.

#1 - Why would the thread be locked? The mods here have pledged to be hands off, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.

#2 - Her post to you was condescending. She could have put it in a PM, but instead, she chastised you publicly on the board. If you don't care, then fine, whatever, but that doesn't mean I can't call her out if I see her do it.

#3 - I understood what you meant without a problem, even though I saw the original title, because I took the time to actually read what you posted.

#1 - Why would the thread be locked? The mods here have pledged to be hands off, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.

#2 - Her post to you was condescending. She could have put it in a PM, but instead, she chastised you publicly on the board. If you don't care, then fine, whatever, but that doesn't mean I can't call her out if I see her do it.

#3 - I understood what you meant without a problem, even though I saw the original title, because I took the time to actually read what you posted.

i dunno, i'm a little paranoid, so i like to err on the side of caution when it comes to forums. but still, point is made, if you want to fight via pm, be my guest.

Shotgun, she's right, I should have put it in a private message, I apologize. I don't think of that option much because it seems to be discouraged but I'll try using it more in these kinds of situations.

i wonder what kind of Baptist church this was? When my h.s. Latin teacher died a few years ago I was surprised to read she, who was very active in her Baptist church, had started the local support group for PFLAG. I had thought of the Baptists being rather anti-gay. She was a a great teacher, and reading her obituary gave me a whole new appreciation of her.

What thread has been locked? :shock:

i wonder what kind of Baptist church this was? When my h.s. Latin teacher died a few years ago I was surprised to read she, who was very active in her Baptist church, had started the local support group for PFLAG. I had thought of the Baptists being rather anti-gay. She was a a great teacher, and reading her obituary gave me a whole new appreciation of her.

i thought baptists were pretty anti-gay as well, but apparently they can change! also, this church was kicked out of the southern baptist association thingy because they blessed gay unions. so, oh well, but at least they're sticking to their guns and standing up for what is right.

Ahem. The United Methodist congregation down the street from me has the same policy: until gays are allowed to marry they won't perform any weddings for anyone.

What thread has been locked? :shock:

no thread that i know of! i was just saying i didn't want this thread to be locked because of the fighting. i know this forum is pretty lax, but like i said i'm kinda paranoid and like to err on the side of caution, and since i think this is an important step for this baptist church i didn't want to risk this thread going away.

Ahem. The United Methodist congregation down the street from me has the same policy: until gays are allowed to marry they won't perform any weddings for anyone.

that's awesome! did anyone do a story on that? if not, they really should, this needs to get more publicity.

I think of the United Methodist church as far more liberal that the Baptist church so that doesn't surprise me. Now the Free Methodists, that's another kind of Methodist, very fundamentalist.

Archived