IGNORED

My very first fundie sighting. I'm no longer a virgin-HA!

TheSassyOne

Congratulations Sassy One! I hope you have many more fundie sightings in you future....

BTW Love your kitteh avatar!

I've seen several women in burkas without even an eye opening (a sort of fabric grille over it, so they can see out but to you it's just like they have no face). It almost feels like there's nobody under there.

Once when I was back at my college alma mater in the front of the library I saw three women at a table, one in a burka, one with the hijab and the third, whom I assumed was also Muslim, in regular Western clothing, no headcovering. It was only the first, perhaps second time I have actually seen anyone wearing a burka. But it made me happy to see three different levels of modesty all together.

Sari's are definitely not evidence of fundiness. Have you seen the tops that go with many sari's - totally defrauding - bare the belly, low cut and tight. Remember that the kama sutra was invented by Indians and we love our sensuous stuff. :D

Sari's are gorgeous, but I will not wear the sari tops that go with them. Are they supposed to be sewn on? Because the only one I have ever owned would be skin tight if I could figure out how to get it over my head! I wore a fitted, stretchy top in a coordinating color instead. I love saris, but obviously I look very strange wearing them (being not Indian). And the tops are too skimpy for me anyway, a lot of waist gets shown. My mother's family is from an area where the salwar kameez is common, but ours are looser and have longer tops than than the ones I see on Indian women in my area.

I had a fundie checker at Walmart at midnight! She was wearing a blue polo shirt, like other Walmart employees, but had a khaki jumper instead of khaki pants. Her hair was in a bun and covered by a white cap, so I am assuming Mennonite of some type. Any thoughts? This was Central Washington, where fundies of all types abound.

Thanks for the reference to The Bruderhof. Sounds like a group that tries to go beyond its own four walls ... but I would never join any religion that requires women to dress so that they stand out from the larger society, while men dress to blend in effortlessly, and I'm suspicious of such groups in spite of myself.

That said, I saw a woman in a kapp and plain dress, including black stockings and all-black trainers, the other day. When I realized it was somebody I've always wanted to meet, I gathered up all my courage and introduced myself. She was delightful! Her husband, a little less so; she's obviously the brains of the operation. He was dressed nearly identically to my The Spousal Unit. *slow burn* I admire them, but I'd never ever want to be like them.

Still, it was fabulous to actually meet her (them) and chat a bit. Wish I could say more, but it'd give too much away. ;)

I feel so left out. Fundies can't afford to live here and even if they could, they wouldn't. Politically, the only place in the country that's "bluer" than my district is either Pelosi's district across the bridge, or Harlem. Two other places fundies would never live.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, my favorite Duggar episode ever was the San Francisco visit, when they went into a head shop and Boob was amazed at all the "funny shaped glass." I think they even bought a skirt for Joy there.

Sean later posted (FB, IIRC...I had access to it at that point) that the Duggars were driven through the Castro on what happened to be Halloween. For those not in the know, only Pride eclipses the crazy of Halloween in the Castro. They were lucky it was raining, or they would have REALLY gotten an eyeful of teh gheys!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 In assless chaps!!!!!!!!!!11111 :gay-umbrella:

Thanks for the reference to The Bruderhof.

I think this is the group that makes various Rifton equipment such as standers, strollers, and chairs for people with physical disabilities. Their stuff is top of the line and very well made.

BTW Love your kitteh avatar!

Thank you, I love kittahs :dance:

Interesting information about the Bruderhof group. I had never heard of them. Wow, I'm so glad I found FJ, I am learning so much. Thanks everyone! :D

I feel so left out. Fundies can't afford to live here and even if they could, they wouldn't. Politically, the only place in the country that's "bluer" than my district is either Pelosi's district across the bridge, or Harlem. Two other places fundies would never live.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, my favorite Duggar episode ever was the San Francisco visit, when they went into a head shop and Boob was amazed at all the "funny shaped glass." I think they even bought a skirt for Joy there.

Sean later posted (FB, IIRC...I had access to it at that point) that the Duggars were driven through the Castro on what happened to be Halloween. For those not in the know, only Pride eclipses the crazy of Halloween in the Castro. They were lucky it was raining, or they would have REALLY gotten an eyeful of teh gheys!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 In assless chaps!!!!!!!!!!11111 :gay-umbrella:

:lol: I couldn't imagine the Duggars in the city for Halloween no less the Castro. I do not watch the show and I'd always hoped they would hit the city for a visit during Halloween.

:lol: I couldn't imagine the Duggars in the city for Halloween no less the Castro. I do not watch the show and I'd always hoped they would hit the city for a visit during Halloween.

For you, my friends.. or I just made both of yours top ten most hated list. ;)

cu0FyATgSoo

lgtr1BFQ5xY

unxi6Rdyxh0

The whole epi is :doh: worthy.

I was lucky enough to be shopping at the Goodwill store last week when a frumper-wearing fundie mom walked in with 9 children (6 girls, 3 boys). The two littlest were boys sitting very quietly (abnormally so for their ages, I'd say) in the cart. The older girls were all dressed very modestly, but not unstylishly. The girls were mostly shopping on their own, and a couple differnet times as I passed them in the aisle I smiled at them, and they made eye contact and smiled back in a very engaging way. The mom was not so friendly though, she was scowling most of the time. The kids spoke to each other and their mother in very quiet, sweet voices, with very cheerful countenances. The older boy (maybe 9 ish years old?) was looking at some tools (of course-- it's man's work). All-in-all is was a very satisfying fundie viewing.

• 2 weeks later...

Free-Jingerites - I think I hit a gold mine tonight. I was grabbing a snack at my local McD's and happened to sit one booth away from 4 men (1 man = 50-60ish, 2 in their early '40s and an older teen boy). They were talking and I caught a phrase or two: strong in the Word, heart to Christ ... Well, that perked up my ears for sure!

I sat there for about a half hour, listening to the oldest man give a little Bible lesson about the importance of home leadership and teaching your wife to be "strong enough in her faith to let your lead her." The old stand-bys were trotted out: wives, submit to your husbands; the one about women being the weaker vessel and needing protecting, virtuous woman is more precious then rubies, Titus 2 was mentioned a little bit.

He then went on to tell the 40-ish men about how to praise their wives a lot whenever they give up control of a respopnsibility: paying the bills/managing the money, making business calls (like home repair appointments), scheduling children's activities (as in actually deciding *if* Jimmy or Susie is allowed to be in soccer or take music lessons at all - not getting them there after they've enrolled).

Then he got into the kicker: handling "the world." His suggestion was to put some feelers out there among their friends/fellow church goers & see what they say about this whole husband-leader thing. He warned them that if the friends reacted negatively, "you might have to be strong enough to leave them behind. After all, this is about leading your family to a higher place and some just aren't ready for it." He said don't be swayed by their current church leaders, either, 'cause some have become too "wordly" and are afraid of the "power of the true W-rd!"

After all the wisdom was doled out, they had a pretty long prayer & then started small-talking, so I left. When I got home & told my own head-ship about it, he asked, "So - what happened?" Well, I had left my FJ power-cape at home so I couldn't really go all Adam West-Batman on them. *ZAP!* - *POW!* - *BASH!* Yeah, I finished my ice cream and came home. What did he want me to do? Play Whack-a-Patriarse? Aeryn-boy is so cute - he thinks I can do anything!

So, South Jersey is no longer fundie-free. :( Send a little good energy this way please!

Archived