IGNORED

Homemaking 101

fundies_like_zombies

That video should be called Basic Life Skills for Idiots. Did you see when she mentioned bill-paying/ record keeping? She just had her bills written on a piece of paper with a calculator! If you can't figure that out without a video you need serious help, even if you did graduate from SOTDRT. I am jealous of the tree in the middle of their house though.

I learned how to balance a checkbook, plan a meal, menu, and shopping list, do basic sewing for repairs, and use basic tools for things like hanging pictures. Guess where I learned all this? Yep, evil public school in home ec and shop class. And I was only 12-13 when I learned these things. Fundies think they invented some amazing new thing that no one has ever thought of before, but public schools have been teaching this stuff forever, and to younger students.

When I was in college I had to take a mandatory 1-credit course the very first term to learn this things a little more in-depth, and to catch the students who didn't have such a good learning experience from their own middle schools. It makes sense because it's a bunch of adults living on their own for the first time. In that class I actually had to make a real-life budget of all my expenses. I didn't personally learn much from the course because my mom did a good job at teaching me, but it was useful for some people and an easy A for those who already knew all the stuff.

But the best way to learn this stuff is through experience. I theoretically knew how to cook, but once I actually did it I really learned a lot. I learned how to do things because no one was around to do them for me. Life skills classes do make the transition smoother though.

Fundies miss out on all these things so they have to make a silly video. And they think they're so damn clever for it too. They must have a really strange view of everyone else. They probably picture us as wandering around aimlessly, spending money on every shiny trinket we see and digging through the garbage to eat raw potatoes.

I learned all this from my Mom who GASP was not a stay at home mom but worked full time (as do I). Actually right now I live on my own, own my own home, do all the yard work, bill paying, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. and still manage to have a social life. What would a SAHD/titus2 woman think? :-)

I learned all this from my Mom who GASP was not a stay at home mom but worked full time (as do I). Actually right now I live on my own, own my own home, do all the yard work, bill paying, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. and still manage to have a social life. What would a SAHD/titus2 woman think? :-)

Yeah, me too. I grew up with my mom and my grandma, and both worked full time. Somehow, between the two of them and the ebil public schools I attended, I learned how to function as an adult. It's funny how that happens just as part of life and raising kids and growing up, ain't it?

The best part of it all though is that I was never taught that I only had one role and could only do certain things. I was taught a lot and raised to be an individual, and the teaching I received prepared me to be single or married, a mother or not, a working person or a non-working person. Pretty much all bases covered for my future, without agenda or pre-determined goal.

And I wasn't taught those skills at home because my mother took no interest in me apart from the fact that she wanted me to be obedient and calm.

I'm no genius, but I figured the necesary tasks of everydaylife out for myself. If envelopes with reminders to pay bills and late fees keep coming, well, I better see whom I owe what, don't I?

A simple google search brought me to websites where I could easily learn how to sew on buttons and mend tears.

Dishes that are not washed stink, so do uncleaned bathrooms. Water, cleaner, sponge. No rocket science. And everybody who doesn't figure out for him-/herself the fact that nobody wants a kitchen sink wiped with the same cloth as the toilet does not deserve to be called fit to be in charge of a household.

But fundies depend on making homemaking very complicated and challenging, otherwise, all those SAHD would have no excuse for being home.

And I wasn't taught those skills at home because my mother took no interest in me apart from the fact that she wanted me to be obedient and calm.

I'm no genius, but I figured the necesary tasks of everydaylife out for myself. If envelopes with reminders to pay bills and late fees keep coming, well, I better see whom I owe what, don't I?

A simple google search brought me to websites where I could easily learn how to sew on buttons and mend tears.

Dishes that are not washed stink, so do uncleaned bathrooms. Water, cleaner, sponge. No rocket science. And everybody who doesn't figure out for him-/herself the fact that nobody wants a kitchen sink wiped with the same cloth as the toilet does not deserve to be called fit to be in charge of a household.

But fundies depend on making homemaking very complicated and challenging, otherwise, all those SAHD would have no excuse for being home.

I think you covered a very important and undeniable fact of life. We do what we gotta' do, period. We don't know everything and never will. Life is a learning experience, from birth to death. We may not grow up learning certain things, but as we become adults and live in the real world, some things just won't wait for us to know how to do them perfectly. You have to pay bills, period. You have to clean yourself, period. You have to eat, period. I learned financial responsibility by screwing myself ten ways and back. Even though I knew how to balance a checkbook and pay bills, I wasn't responsible. I learned that the hard way and paid a price, literally and figuratively. Since that learning experience, I'm almost anal about financial matters. Experience is a hard teacher, but an awesome one - if we allow ourselves to learn from those experiences.

I learned bookkeeping skills in 9th grade because my mother sold Amway (bipolar people love their MLM!). She paid me to keep her books for that and another home business. I got so good at it that her Amway friends would hire me. :)

I learned bookkeeping skills in 9th grade because my mother sold Amway (bipolar people love their MLM!). She paid me to keep her books for that and another home business. I got so good at it that her Amway friends would hire me. :)

Sure beats working fast food for extra cash!

I think you covered a very important and undeniable fact of life. We do what we gotta' do, period. We don't know everything and never will. Life is a learning experience, from birth to death. We may not grow up learning certain things, but as we become adults and live in the real world, some things just won't wait for us to know how to do them perfectly. You have to pay bills, period. You have to clean yourself, period. You have to eat, period. I learned financial responsibility by screwing myself ten ways and back. Even though I knew how to balance a checkbook and pay bills, I wasn't responsible. I learned that the hard way and paid a price, literally and figuratively. Since that learning experience, I'm almost anal about financial matters. Experience is a hard teacher, but an awesome one - if we allow ourselves to learn from those experiences.

Yes. Although I say I would be able to live very happily if groceries were delivered to my door and with a wonderful paid housekeeper.

I think both genders should learn this. My eldest son is a boy scout and will earn his Personal Management merit badge at some point, and it has a lot of these basic "life skills" in it. It talks all about planning and budgeting. Boys also have to plan their own menus for camp-outs, clean up after themselves, etc.

http://usscouts.org/mb/mb011.asp

As far as home ec, yes the evil public schools are going over a lot of this in middle school.

My mom never taught me any of this stuff. I didn't learn how to clean a bathroom, make spaghetti, or do my own laundry until college when some very very patient roommates and friends helped me. She did me a huge disservice, thinking it was "her domain" but I guess that was the only way she could bitch that "she had to do it all" etc.

I learned it all in evil public school too. And from my parents, grandparents, and life in general. I've been budgeting my own money since I was 10.

DING DING DING! I think you have stumbled upon somthing very profound. Lina, anyone??

Just watched the clips and wanted to hit mute because of her voice.

Most of her advice is common sense and taught in public school, like it was to me and other commenters above. Really, I need to buy a dvd to tell me how to cook? There are free YouTube videos, the library and friends to help teach that and other skills. :roll:

Archived