IGNORED

More media on the Pearls

thoughtful

At the very least, parents will now be aware that these methods can be dangerous. No one can say that they did not know, because of all the publicity.

Honestly, the Pearls' beliefs cannot hold up with a little light shone on them.

I am so thrilled to see them getting so much attention in the media - I could not believe it when I saw them in Yahoo today. The more awareness of how awful those types of methods are the better.

For those among us active in churches/temples/mosques - perhaps its worth us making a concerted effort to ensure that our religious leaders are aware of the book and take a public stand against it. Ministers off all faiths are confronted with parents seeking guidance and they may mention this book. We need to be sure that they are giving an informed and well educated response.

For those among us active in churches/temples/mosques - perhaps its worth us making a concerted effort to ensure that our religious leaders are aware of the book and take a public stand against it. Ministers off all faiths are confronted with parents seeking guidance and they may mention this book. We need to be sure that they are giving an informed and well educated response.

That's a great idea.

I had a few conversations about it with the parents of my students today. I work with a lot of people who think this sort of thing is rare, fringe stuff. So alerting them that this book is well-thought-of, even a common baby shower gift, in a lot of communities, is another way to get people on board.

According to her twitter feed, the Christian mommy blogger, Elizabeth Esther, is being interviewed by Anderson Cooper about the Pearls. No air date yet for the interview, but she will post as info becomes available.

She has been staunchly outspoken against the Pearls & TTUAC so this is a good step. Now if AC could just put some of the male fundie heavyweights on the spot...

[Edited for riffles]

Man, having never owned a TV I never paid much attention to Anderson Cooper, but I am so becoming a fangirl lately. Interviewing Elizabeth Esther is great and shows he is really pursuing this!

It looks like it is all leftwing media. I think the pushback needs to come from Christian circles to make a real impact. I'm thinking about contacting Christianity Today to see if they are planning to run an article.

Edit: I missed the Baptist article. That's great, and we need more of it.

From a fundy perspective, definitely. Not that these reports are bad in any way, I just think that they will be dismissed by the people who follow ttuac.

From a fundy perspective, definitely. Not that these reports are bad in any way, I just think that they will be dismissed by the people who follow ttuac.

This is why the so-called men of the fundie world -- Charles Dobson, John Piper, Billy Graham, whoever -- need to be put on the spot. Let them either condemn the Pearls' shite for the terrible, un-Christian stuff it is, or hang with them on this twisted & false doctrine.

This is why the so-called men of the fundie world -- Charles Dobson, John Piper, Billy Graham, whoever -- need to be put on the spot. Let them either condemn the Pearls' shite for the terrible, un-Christian stuff it is, or hang with them on this twisted & false doctrine.

Billy Graham has never been consider "fundy" by the fundies; he has been considered "liberal" (that's considered an insult by fundies) for decades- for things like integrating his crusades, working across multiple denominations, etc. He is now 93 years old (best I can figure) and is in extremely poor health and, to my knowledge, does not speak publicly any more. Not sure what his mental or physical status is by now.

Just saying.

And yes, some condemning by some is needed.

You threw that "leftwing" word out there very quickly without any disclaimer. Do YOU think CNN, for example, is "leftwing"?

I think CNN is left of center. I was really more talking about jezebel though.

I know nothing about jezebel. Never heard of it before.

CNN is far from "leftwing". But "fundies" love to say that CNN is "liberal" (used as an epithet). Even "liberal" =/= "leftwing".

I consider CNN pretty centrist, actually.

Archived