IGNORED

Terry Pratchett

duplessis3

Huge fan (please see location of my info section for example). Small Gods is a fabulous book. Pratchett is great at poking fun at religion in a kind, gentle way (for the most part). I think Offler is one of the more amusing gods of the Discworld. And who doesn't love a Death with a personality?

Reaper Man is one of my most favorite books ever written. When Death (as Bill Door) interacts with Miss Flitworth and takes her to the Harvest Dance, I cry buckets every time I read it.

I love Terry Pratchett. Discworld is amazing and some of the best satire I have ever read. Have you read Good Omens? Pratchett wrote it with Neil Gaiman and it is such a great end of the world story.

Always a favorite. Men at Arms is probably my favorite of his work. Currently waiting for my library copy of his latest.

I've been calling Pratchett my spiritual guide. Some people like the Pope, some people follow Doug Phillips. Me, I'll take Granny Weatherwax and Brutha.

Such a favorite. I discovered him, because one of my kids had a book and I wanted to know what he was reading.

• 6 months later...

Joining the Pratchett fandom. A little sad I couldn't apprentice at a witch's cottage - I'll even milk the goats if the need arises.

And I make a point of saying a little prayer to Anoia any time a drawer sticks.

Pterry is positively BRILLIANT. I constantly learn about real world things via Discworld footnotes (even with early onset Alzheimers the guy knows more than I can ever hope to) and I quote the Vimes boot theory of economic inequality at least once a month to people online. My Discworld books are full of various dog-earings and highlights, in the way some people note passages in their religious texts for further study.

Good Omens is still one of my all time favorites.

I kinda tell fundies "it's what would have happened if Frank Peretti had decided to poke minor fun @ religion and not be super-uptight. Basically, imbue him w/ a sense of humor and take away the moralizing"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading (listening to the audiobooks, actually) through the series right now. I'm halfway through Hogfather currently. I've loved every single books so fair. He is such a wonderful writer.

Good Omens is one of my top 10 all time books. I'd take it to a desert island.

Also love the wizards, Carrot, Sam and Sybil, Death, Susan...

I do think some of his later books have gone a bit serious for my tastes.

Everyone in my family is a Pratchett fan :D

And although I wanted to be Angua partnered to Carrot, I am in fact a Lady Sybil married to a Sam Vimes :mrgreen: ......wish I had thought of Lady Sybil as my user name :geek:

My husband drew me a picture of Susan. I knew it was love. :D

My husband drew me a picture of Susan. I knew it was love. :D

Now that is love, and I really appreciate the character of Susan. I am a Susan myself, born in the early sixties, and I suffered long with the character of Susan in the Narnia books , finally with Susan Sto Helit, I have the Susan of my childhood dreams!

Now that is love, and I really appreciate the character of Susan. I am a Susan myself, born in the early sixties, and I suffered long with the character of Susan in the Narnia books , finally with Susan Sto Helit, I have the Susan of my childhood dreams!

Susan Sto Helit has balls! I love her with the kids, the boogeymonster and the fire place poker. Brilliant.

Did anyone else struggle to get through Unseen Academicals? Maybe it's because I'm not a football fan but I found it really hard going. :(

Did anyone else struggle to get through Unseen Academicals? Maybe it's because I'm not a football fan but I found it really hard going. :(

It is my least favourite of all the books and that makes me sad. I just couldn't get into it at all.

I actually really liked it.

But you know, I often find that the first read of a Discworld book is hard going, and then the second time I'm madly folding down every other page because upon re-read I like it much better. I don't know why this should be at all.

I really liked Unseen Academicals but I am a football fan (all my family are Arsenal supporters on one side and Hearts supporters on the other) so I got loads of the references.

*points to avatar*

His was the first fantasy book my dad ever bought to me (and the first book I ever owned personally), as well as the first ever book I bought with my own money. His humour and wisdom are just fucking endless. Such a first class human.

Slightly off-topic, anyone watched his documentary on assisted dying? It was painful to watch, but very well done, I thought.

([link=http://vimeo.com/25239708]it's here[/link] if anyone's interested. Warning: graphic descriptions of illness and death, and an assisted death on screen)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, nimerha, I'll watch when I'm not so tired/emotional.

I'm currently reading Lords and Ladies. Sir Terry gives one of the best female narratives written by a male. I guess his books are chicken soup for this cynical atheist's soul.

I liked Unseen Academicals. Nutt's constant "do I have value" pulls at my heart-strings, and the football references are hilarious. Of course the story is shaky, but I'd rather have a subpar Pratchett than anything else.

I'm not big on fantasy, but I've started reading Glen Cook books, which are fantasy and mystery together, so I'd call it fantasy-lite. I think I tried to read Terry Pratchett, but couldn't. Any suggestions for someone trying it again? I also tried Carl Hiaasen, but his writing was too forceful in trying to be funny.

I do like series, but I must read them in order from first to last, so if you have any suggestions, can you please at least mention the first in the series? Thanks. :)

I'm not big on fantasy, but I've started reading Glen Cook books, which are fantasy and mystery together, so I'd call it fantasy-lite. I think I tried to read Terry Pratchett, but couldn't. Any suggestions for someone trying it again? I also tried Carl Hiaasen, but his writing was too forceful in trying to be funny.

I do like series, but I must read them in order from first to last, so if you have any suggestions, can you please at least mention the first in the series? Thanks. :)

I ususally recommend TP's standalone books to get started with. Small Gods is brilliant, or Pyramids. They are two of my favourites.

Archived