IGNORED

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor Passed Away

47of74

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor passed away today.

Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman Supreme Court justice, died Friday morning in Phoenix, Arizona. She was 93.

It was announced in October 2018 that she had been diagnosed with dementia. In a letter, she wrote: “As this condition has progressed, I am no longer able to participate in public life.”

Throughout her 24-year term on the bench, O’Connor voted on some of the most contentious issues the court has faced, including affirmative action and abortion. One of her most influential roles was in the 5-4 vote in Bush v. Gore, as she joined justices Anthony Kennedy, William Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas in a decision that led to George W. Bush’s 2000 election win.

In 2009, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for her role in transforming the American judiciary, paving the way for women to join what had been a men’s only club. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Amy Coney Barrett and Ketanji Brown Jackson have also joined the nation’s highest court since she was appointed in 1981.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 4

She was a Reagan appointee but compared to the current batch of corrupt liars, she was by all appearances a fair judge who decided cases based on merits, not ideology.  It was a big deal when the first woman was appointed to the Supreme Court, and as a swing vote, she upheld Roe v. Wade.  RIP, Justice O'Connor.

• Upvote 8

My all-time hero will always be RBG but I do respect and admire Justice O'Connor.  A few years back I saw an interview with her, and she said that one regret was voting to end the Florida recount in the 2000 election thereby placing Bush winner of the election.  I admired her for her honesty and openness.  

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, kittykay said:

My all-time hero will always be RBG but I do respect and admire Justice O'Connor.  A few years back I saw an interview with her, and she said that one regret was voting to end the Florida recount in the 2000 election thereby placing Bush winner of the election.  I admired her for her honesty and openness.  

Yes that was one decision that I couldn't get behind because of all the pain and suffering Bush and his ilk caused and the repercussions that continue until this very day.  Nevertheless she was a pioneer and I hope she rests in peace.

• I Agree 3