IGNORED

Katie & Travis 3: Married and Expecting to be Expecting Soon….

nelliebelle1197

Will Katie be as boring and beige as Josie?

And does anyone else think it is weird that Whitney is a bridesmaid is almost every Bates wedding? It seems like a nearly unhealthy emeshment for her with this huge family. And she is now significantly older and in a very different phase of life than these teen Bates brides. I just find it odd that she is such BFFs with her many many  SILs to the point where she is the go to bridesmaid for most of them. The Bates women who are Whitney’s age are no longer appearing in the younger girls’ weddings. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

And does anyone else think it is weird that Whitney is a bridesmaid is almost every Bates wedding? It seems like a nearly unhealthy emeshment for her with this huge family. And she is now significantly older and in a very different phase of life than these teen Bates brides. I just find it odd that she is such BFFs with her many many  SILs to the point where she is the go to bridesmaid for most of them. The Bates women who are Whitney’s age are no longer appearing in the younger girls’ weddings. 

It makes me think the Bates bio sisters were probably pretty disfunctional growing up and there might be lasting effects on their relationships. I think there was probably a lot of competition for attention in the house growing up. We can see the kids who are now major attention whores and they were probably first like that as children because they never got enough attention. Fundies can pretend all they want that their children are BFFs but we can see that is often not the case. They were forced to spend all their time together as children because they were so isolated. They had no other choice than be best friends. Very few seem to be best friends as adults. Whitney didn’t grow up with them. There is no history of competing for attention with her. That’s probably why they all seem to get along with her so much. 

• Upvote 28
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It makes me think the Bates bio sisters were probably pretty disfunctional growing up and there might be lasting effects on their relationships. I think there was probably a lot of competition for attention in the house growing up. We can see the kids who are now major attention whores and they were probably first like that as children because they never got enough attention. Fundies can pretend all they want that their children are BFFs but we can see that is often not the case. They were forced to spend all their time together as children because they were so isolated. They had no other choice than be best friends. Very few seem to be best friends as adults. Whitney didn’t grow up with them. There is no history of competing for attention with her. That’s probably why they all seem to get along with her so much. 

That is all true. But I do find it odd that EVERYONE is BFFs with Whitney. I think it is everything you say but is also something about Whitney - a desperation to belong to this ragtag chaotic pile of fundie nonsense. I mean, I get it considering her background but I think it is sad in a way.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

Perhaps Whitney is organized, calm and hardworking, i.e. a good bridesmaid? And perhaps some of the Bates sisters don't have all these characteristics?

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Anna Duggar has been in most of her SiL except jessa’s If I recall correctly. I just put it down to first in gets most asks. 

• Upvote 4

Alyssa posted, looks like Hannah and Jeremiah were at the wedding. So at least one Duggar went. 

I do wish Hannah had not chosen a Duggar boy 😕

Screenshot_20211204_140548.thumb.jpg.2010df5ab1bc57ec0b67b305e08fa666.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

25 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

That is all true. But I do find it odd that EVERYONE is BFFs with Whitney. I think it is everything you say but is also something about Whitney - a desperation to belong to this ragtag chaotic pile of fundie nonsense. I mean, I get it considering her background but I think it is sad in a way.

I think Tiffany is the same way. Whitney was an only child that ended up in foster care. She probably dreamed of a big family. Tiffany was probably raised like an only child because I think her older brother might be a half brother from a prior marriage. She grew up strange since she was a child actor. I think she wants the big christian family like Whit. 

• Upvote 24

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Tiffany is the same way. Whitney was an only child that ended up in foster care. She probably dreamed of a big family. Tiffany was probably raised like an only child because I think her older brother might be a half brother from a prior marriage. She grew up strange since she was a child actor. I think she wants the big christian family like Whit. 

I'm an only child and my husband coming from.w.big (4.kids, not 19) was defintirly a point in his favour when we started dating. I wanted my kids to have a big extended family. 

• Upvote 7

47 minutes ago, PrairieGirlUK said:

Alyssa posted, looks like Hannah and Jeremiah were at the wedding. So at least one Duggar went. 

I do wish Hannah had not chosen a Duggar boy 😕

Screenshot_20211204_140548.thumb.jpg.2010df5ab1bc57ec0b67b305e08fa666.jpg

I said this on another thread but it’s crazy Hannah and Alyssa are so close in age. Alyssa seems so much older because she got married and started having kids so young. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I said this on another thread but it’s crazy Hannah and Alyssa are so close in age. Alyssa seems so much older because she got married and started having kids so young. 

+ the bates sisters in general always choose hair color/style, makeup and clothes that age them. 

when I found out about them at first I thought the older sisters were already in their thirties.   

• Upvote 6

Whitney is also younger than you would think (or at least than I thought). The Bates sister she's closest in age to is actually Alyssa, who also seems close to Carlin and Katie, and used to seem very close to Josie. I think it's more about personality than age. Michaela, Erin and Tori are all happy to keep wearing skirts and less trendy clothes, aren't trying to be influencers, etc. Whitney and Alyssa are much more similar to Carlin, Josie and Katie with their love of fashion and makeup, curating their social media. 

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:

Whitney is also younger than you would think (or at least than I thought). The Bates sister she's closest in age to is actually Alyssa, who also seems close to Carlin and Katie, and used to seem very close to Josie. I think it's more about personality than age. Michaela, Erin and Tori are all happy to keep wearing skirts and less trendy clothes, aren't trying to be influencers, etc. Whitney and Alyssa are much more similar to Carlin, Josie and Katie with their love of fashion and makeup, curating their social media. 

yes, this! Whit is younger than we think, bc she married the oldest boy such a long time ago. Same reason Alyssa seems older, bc she's been married so long. But really they're only a year older than Tori, who's only two years older than Carlin, and then Carlin-Josie-Katie are all in sequence. Whitney *wasn't* in the big Bates' girls weddings bc she's *not* in their age group, she's the "big sister" of the middle Bates girls, she married in right as their actual big sisters married out. 

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 14

1 hour ago, Dbm said:

+ the bates sisters in general always choose hair color/style, makeup and clothes that age them. 

when I found out about them at first I thought the older sisters were already in their thirties.   

TBH I thought so too, except for Josie. Josie still looks her age. Heck, even until recently I thought Katie was older than Josie.

• Upvote 4

What is striking about Katie’s more mature look is that her husband has the baby face of a 12 year old. When I was getting married back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, I remember wanting to look like myself and not some made-up plastic woman. My husband wasn’t marrying a manikin. I really wanted my wedding photos to represent us in a natural way. Katie looks 30 in those photos.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Perhaps Whitney is organized, calm and hardworking, i.e. a good bridesmaid? And perhaps some of the Bates sisters don't have all these characteristics?

I suspect this is part of the reason why Alyssa is the only sister who has been included in every Bates wedding except Nathan's (Esther didn't includes any Bateses in her bridal party unless you count Tiffany). Alyssa likes order and organization and she seems reliable, she's probably a good person to have on your team. Plus she enjoys wearing trendy outfits and isn't a stickler for modesty. I could see Michael, Tori, and Erin all having a problem with the bridesmaid dresses Katie chose.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

Whitney was the first sister-in-law and for years the only one. Because of the way these families work with bringing in the wife into the fold while the sister and her new husband are supposed to be where he can work (the Bates don't follow that so much), she was someone new for the girls in Carlin, Josie, and Katie's age range. She wore pants sometimes. She had a job with a boss when they first met her. She had *gasp* gone to a public school and got her medical billing/coding classes at a college that didn't require a code for being right with Jesus. She had probably seen real movies in a theater and watched television. They were probably fascinated. 

I know in my younger life that I always admired the girlfriends, fiances, and wives of my male relatives. I wanted to be like them in different ways. My uncle had a huge wedding with his now ex wife when I was 6. I got to be the flower girl. I cried because my parents nor my uncle bought me an engagement ring like her ring. She wore these tall boots with jeans tucked in them (it was the early 1980s) and I wanted boots just like her boots. She liked certain foods. I wanted to like those too. I named my freaking dolls after her. 

These families have "family friends" that come and go. There is always one fall out at the church or another. But here was a "new sister" joining them that wasn't in diapers or a toddler. As they grew up and started courting, Zach and Whitney have become double date/pseudo chaperones. That has to be better than Jeb, Jud, or Callie these girls essentially had to babysit while the boyfriend was shelling out for extra meals. Zach probably offered to pay for his and Whitney's meals. 

Whitney is a safe bet for being a bridesmaid. She doesn't take over the situation wanting attention. She is always complimenting. And there is less drama that Katie chose Whitney but didn't choose someone else. If the rumors of a rift between Carlin and Erin are true, Katie didn't have the fear that the one left out would be angry. If the rumors of a rift between Josie and Alyssa are true, at least with Whitney she didn't have to worry that someone might sabotage the other with hidden shoes or switching dresses. 

As for age, it's all just a thing. Among my friends married women are not bridesmaids. That's something for the single ones only. Sucked for the later weddings where everyone else was married, but oh well. So long as Whitney was comfortable with it and didn't feel weird being so much "older" not that she was, I don't think it is a big deal.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Sad? I think it's nice that the younger girls have someone from outside the family to look up to. I also think it's nice that Whitney found the big family she was looking for. I don't see anything sad about people getting along. Who cares if she's slightly older than the average bridesmaid? I'm glad if these brides are being even a tiny bit unconventional. Nothing sad about this situation at all.

• Upvote 11

Mr. and Mrs. Clark...finally can hold hands.  Straight from no touching to pregnancy....

How long until they leave NJ to move to TN as everyone but Alyssa has done? 

• Upvote 9

Whitney is also involved in the boutique which Katie also seems to help with a lot (despite not being a partner). 

katies closeness to Carlin and Josie and their kids makes me wonder if she will be happy in New Jersey. I can see her wanting her kids to grow up with the Bates cousins. Travis’s family is super tight knit so I don’t see him wanting to relocate to Tennessee like Tori and Michaels husbands did. 

for the wedding, I think her dress was very pretty and decently well fitting considering it was last minute. It needed to be hemmed, but it fit pretty well. It is simple, but I think the bodice details keep it from being too plain. 

also Tori is dressed like a sales manager at a mid level office. 

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, BeccaGrim said:

Mr. and Mrs. Clark...finally can hold hands.  Straight from no touching to pregnancy....

How long until they leave NJ to move to TN as everyone but Alyssa has done? 

I think they bought a house in NJ.

3 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Whitney is also involved in the boutique which Katie also seems to help with a lot (despite not being a partner). 

katies closeness to Carlin and Josie and their kids makes me wonder if she will be happy in New Jersey. I can see her wanting her kids to grow up with the Bates cousins. Travis’s family is super tight knit so I don’t see him wanting to relocate to Tennessee like Tori and Michaels husbands did. 

for the wedding, I think her dress was very pretty and decently well fitting considering it was last minute. It needed to be hemmed, but it fit pretty well. It is simple, but I think the bodice details keep it from being too plain. 

also Tori is dressed like a sales manager at a mid level office. 

The back of the dress is pretty, but much like Jinger’s dress wore her, I think this dress wore Katie. It’s just my opinion, but I think a more form fitting dress ( Lauren’s)look nicer on tiny women. She was a beautiful bride. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I know this is beyond silly but I just don’t like the hair style of the bridesmaids. It’s just not a style that’s flattering on anyone. I remember wearing our hair with two small pieces left down at the temples back in the late 90s. It wasn’t cute then and it’s still not cute. It just looks messy I guess. 

1FC0474B-EFA7-4951-893E-A72C7410FC6E.jpeg

• Downvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know this is beyond silly but I just don’t like the hair style of the bridesmaids. It’s just not a style that’s flattering on anyone. I remember wearing our hair with two small pieces left down at the temples back in the late 90s. It wasn’t cute then and it’s still not cute. It just looks messy I guess. 

I like it, I think it makes an updo look less severe. But I also have very sharp features and I look way too severe if I have all my hair back, so I need something like this. 

I do think this style suits some of the bridesmaids better than others. It is more flattering on Whitney and Alyssa than Carlin.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I doubt she is BFF with all of them. Those massive bridal parties are not built up of BFFs. Or at least that’s how I see it. Here you have one BFF or maybe you are part of an extremely close trio. But it’s impossible to have several, that’s the whole point of distinguishing a best friend from friend. So, she might be very close to most. She is pretty handy (everyone was awed how she pulled of Bradley’s baby party or was it birthday without drama and with an actual concept), she seems eager to be incorporated and I think she paved the way for some of the younger ones in terms of rules and modesty. And others have already set her age in perspective. She is also also close to the Big House, so while the Bates daughters follow their husbands to wherever, Whitney is actually a constant present part of their daily life more or less.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, CanadianMamam said:

I like it, I think it makes an updo look less severe. But I also have very sharp features and I look way too severe if I have all my hair back, so I need something like this. 

I do think this style suits some of the bridesmaids better than others. It is more flattering on Whitney and Alyssa than Carlin.

I think since it’s an outdoor reception, I would be annoyed the whole time because those random pieces would be blowing in my face. But then again, I hate having my hair done by others one particular way. I told my bridesmaids to have their hair done how they want. The three of them decided they would all do a sort of half up half down. They didn’t have identical hairstyles. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I feel you. But that’s the benefit of the next generation I guess. They haven’t lived through it yet, and therefore can be as excited about it as we were when we where 16. I have seen so much stuff coming back the last two years that I won’t touch with a with a ten foot pole. It’s not trendy it’s not fashionable it’s just cringe. To me. No one could sell me that as a good look. But the younglings feel different, that’s their prerogative. I will just wait till they realise how stupid some of those trends look and feel the same way. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic