IGNORED

South Carolina Mother and Son Murdered

Howl

Maggie Murdaugh (mother) and Paul Murdaugh (son) were found murdered at their hunting lodge in South Carolina, shot to death by a shotgun (Paul) and an automatic rifle (Maggie).  The father Alex came home and found them dead outside near the dog kennels (not in the house). 

Paul Murdaugh (22) was awaiting trial on a charge of boating under the influence causing death in a February 2019 crash that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach.

Wealthy prominent family. There was concern expressed in various social media comments that the family's wealth and influence  would be able to buy their son's freedom. 

FOX News: 

[Paul's] grandfather, Randolph Murdaugh III, as well as his great-grandfather and great-great grandfather, were all elected and served as longtime 14th Circuit solicitors.

Paul’s father, Alex, works for the prestigious law firm Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick, which was founded by Randolph Murdaugh in 1910. On Thursday, the firm announced that Randolph Murdaugh III, 81, had died, the day before services were held for Paul and Maggie. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Thank You 9

• Coconut Flan changed the title to South Carolina Mother and Son Murdered
  • 2 months later...

The link provides a clear timeline of the twists and turns of the the deaths that have been somehow connected the to the Murdaugh Family. 

https://www.wyff4.com/article/timeline-key-dates-in-murdaugh-family-investigations/37544705

The Murdaugh Murders Podcast covers the bizarre story. I am halfway through, and find it very interesting. 

Alex Murdaugh (father to Paul, husband to Maggie) reports he was shot September 4, 2021. He has resigned from his law firm over alleged misappropriation of funds, his law license has been suspended, and he is going to enter rehab for substance abuse. 

Edited by ifosterkittens
Wrong word choice
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

Just googled this.  Multiple articles popped up, all quoting the statement from Alex Murdaugh's spokesperson clarifying that the gunshot wound was absolutely definitely not self inflicted!  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

I’ve been following this on Crime Talk (with lawyer Scott Reisch). It’s crazy! When I saw a headline last week saying Paul had been shot I told my husband, “Oh my word! The Murdaughs had another shooting. I can’t wait to hear what Scott Reisch has to say about this.” 
Then I had to provide a lot of context because he had no clue what I was talking about 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/09/13/murdaugh-murders-saga-sled-launches-investigation-into-law-firm-embezzlement-allegations/

Recent article of the Murdaugh Murders, and the embezzlement allegations are up to $10 million. Almost finished with the Murdaugh Murders Podcast by Mandy Matney and it is informative. I hope Stephen Smith's family can get some answers. The investigation into both Stephen's death and the boat crash and Mallory's death are infuriating.  

• Upvote 6

Holy moly big frijoles, so many cases, so much death, so much...corruption with generations of this family.  It's like they're rich, powerful, well connected  Rhodens. 

The article identifies Alex Murdaugh as a "person of interest" in the death of his son and wife...had not realized that. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/09/14/murdaugh-murders-saga-first-arrest-warrants-implicate-alex-murdaugh-in-roadside-shooting/

According to reports Alex Murdaugh hired his drug dealer to kill him so his living son could collect $10 million life insurance policy. Alex was shot in the head on Sept 4, but lived. I've seen it reported Murdaugh provided the gun. This gets crazier by the second!  

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

How many millions is Alex alleged to have embezzled from his law firm?  Initially, I thought I read about $1 million, but more recently I've also read/heard that it's millions.  And I believe his attorney is claiming that Alex has been addicted to opiods for 20 years.  20 years, but no noticed?  And no one handling the books for his law firm noticed that millions of dollars were going missing?  I think there's a whole lot of corruption going on in that community, and somehow I doubt it only involved the Murdaugh family.

• Upvote 5

Mr. Smith should just go ahead and show up at a prison and check himself in.  

He's facing these charges: 

• assisted suicide
  • assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature
  • pointing and presenting a firearm
  • insurance fraud and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud in connection with the shooting 
  • two charges of distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana (unrelated to the other charges)

And yes, massive corruption, back room deals, embezzling, secrets kept, fraud, you name it, are about to be exposed.  I'm expecting some lawyers in that powerful old law firm are about to resign/retire. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

How many millions is Alex alleged to have embezzled from his law firm?  Initially, I thought I read about $1 million, but more recently I've also read/heard that it's millions.  And I believe his attorney is claiming that Alex has been addicted to opiods for 20 years.  20 years, but no noticed?  And no one handling the books for his law firm noticed that millions of dollars were going missing?  I think there's a whole lot of corruption going on in that community, and somehow I doubt it only involved the Murdaugh family.

I can't find an official number that has been released for Alex's alleged embezzlement from the law firm. The law firm said they need to do an official audit, so it will probably take some time to know the extent of the money embezzled, and how long this has been going on. Most of the articles I just checked say the amount is not specified. 

On the Murdaugh Murders Podcast by Mandy Matney and everything she covers it absolutely sounds like there was corruption, and not just on the part of the Murdaugh family. Grandfather Murdaugh (Paul's grandfather, Alex's father) passed away a few days after Maggie and Paul due to cancer, and he was the solicitor until 2006. From what I understand he had the most power. Alex is now tainted. Alex's brother is part of the law firm that Alex allegedly embezzled from so I imagine that creates some hostility. I hope the power and privilege the Murdaugh family had is over. I hope there are several investigations to see if there was any wrong doing by anyone involved in investigating Stephen Smith's death or the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

The death of their housekeeper is also being investigated. She reportedly died from a fall in the Murtaugh home. However, the coroner's report stated that she died of natural causes. No autopsy was performed. Her family claims they never received the settlement from her death.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

8 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

The death of their housekeeper is also being investigated. She reportedly died from a fall in the Murtaugh home. However, the coroner's report stated that she died of natural causes. No autopsy was performed. Her family claims they never received the settlement from her death.

https://people.com/crime/south-carolina-authorities-launch-investigation-2018-death-murdaughs-housekeeper/

Came here to post about it. 

It’s only a matter of time before Alex gets charged with three deaths!

• Upvote 2

On 9/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, Howl said:

And yes, massive corruption, back room deals, embezzling, secrets kept, fraud, you name it, are about to be exposed.  I'm expecting some lawyers in that powerful old law firm are about to resign/retire. 

I agree I can envision many drafting letters of resignation or deciding to retire. I hope there are many investigations, and all wrong doing comes to light. 

So the Alex Murdaugh house of cards is now crumbling, but hearing about all the crazy/shady/illegal things that have come out in these few cases it makes me wonder how much he has gotten away with that we will never know about. Alex has been practicing law for something like 25+ years. How long has this gone on? How many people have been mistreated by him? How many things has he made "go away" or go in a different direction that wasn't the truth? I highly doubt he did everything by the book for years and then went off the rails in 2018 with Gloria Satterfield's death (the housekeeper). 

How does an attorney not understand the terms of his own life insurance policy? He believed it had a suicide clause, but that was only for two years. I imagine Alex would say that is how consumed he was with addiction that he couldn't get those facts straight. If that was the case other lawyers from his firm (including his own brother) had to notice and realize he shouldn't be practicing law. 

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

This entire case is Southern Gothic on steroids.  The various True Crime TV franchises are wetting their pants in anticipation of what's to come. 

Also, where does the surviving son fit into this sordid mess?  I see only two possibilities.

He's a total innocent. His father independently set up the suicide scheme, while leaving the son financially cared for. 

He's part of all the crazy (murders/insurance scheme) and will eventually spend the rest of his life in prison w/out parole. 

Actually, there's a 3rd scenario.  He turns states evidence against his father to get a lesser sentence. 

• Upvote 7

https://www.wistv.com/2021/09/21/lawyers-murdaugh-housekeepers-estate-say-they-know-where-missing-millions-settlement-are/

https://www.wistv.com/2021/09/21/passenger-2019-deadly-boat-crash-sues-murdaugh-family/

More information about cases related to the Murdaugh family. The amount of privelege that this family enjoyed is starting to come to light. I

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Part of me thinks that at least some of Murdaugh's associates at his prior law firm (he's resigned) are Shocked SHOCKED I tell you! that embezzling was going on at this establishment!  Considering the amount of privilege and power enjoyed by Murtaugh and that law firm in the community there has to have been at least some skullduggery going on for a long time and at least some of his associates kept some of his secrets, like addiction. 

Alex Murdaugh's former law firm says he 'lied and he stole from us'

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just watched a special on this entire shitaroo.  After watching this show, I believe he murdered his wife and son.  His wife was planning on divorcing him and had just contacted a non-local divorce lawyer right before she was murdered.   The younger son was responsible for a fatal boating accident and a wrongful death suit had been filed against him, so liability. 

Gloria Satterfield, the Murdaugh housekeeper and nanny, worked for the family for decades and helped raise the two boys.  The story was she fell down the porch steps of the house on the country estate when rambunctious dogs caused her to lose her balance.  The original coroner ruled that the death was from natural causes and no autopsy was performed.   

As someone pointed out, a 57-year-old woman in good health does not die from a tumble down four or five porch steps.  A new coroner does not believe her death was from natural causes and the case is being re-investigated.  

At Gloria Satterfield's funeral, Alex Murdaugh encouraged the family of Gloria Satterfield to sue him (Alex) for wrongful death and referred them to an attorney friend. 

The insurance company settled for millions of dollars, but all that money mysteriously ended up in Alex Murdaugh's pocket and was never disbursed to the Satterfield family.  The Satterfield family was unaware the case had been settled with the insurance company and has received no money. 

Murdaugh also embezzled millions from his law firm.  I suspect that the law firm is now on the hook for those millions. 

Murdaugh is a sociopath/psychopath.  He's involved in the theft of millions of dollars and likely killed the housekeeper as part of a scam to get access to the payout from a wrongful death suit.

The family already had inherited wealth and owned multiple homes, so why was he desperate to get his hands on many millions more?  Gambling, drugs, maybe he was being blackmailed?  The show did not address that issue. 

The show also addressed the "faux murder for hire" for 10 million in insurance money for the surviving son.  The long-time friend who was supposedly hired to make it look like a murder has distanced himself from the entire situation and claims he was wrestling the gun away from Murdaugh when it discharged.  Murdaugh was still alive and the friend scarpered. 

The entire thing is an incomprehensibly nuts version of a Greek tragedy. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

5 hours ago, Howl said:

At Gloria Satterfield's funeral, Alex Murdaugh encouraged the family of Gloria Satterfield to sue him (Alex) for wrongful death and referred them to an attorney friend. 

The insurance company settled for millions of dollars, but all that money mysteriously ended up in Alex Murdaugh's pocket and was never disbursed to the Satterfield family.  The Satterfield family was unaware the case had been settled with the insurance company and has received no money. 

This is one of the more bizarre twists…did he accidentally kill the housekeeper and then realize he could scam the family out of insurance money? Or was it on purpose with the intention of scamming the family for the insurance money?

For a man who (presumably) was already incredibly wealthy, he was making some incredibly risky moves for some of these payouts.

The fact that he may have gotten away without anyone questioning the housekeeper incident if not for the trail of other bodies and scams that kept appearing is sad and alarming. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

@Howlthanks for the recap!

If Alex killed Maggie I'm not that surprised because money. Maybe he didn't want his finances investigated which would come with a divorce. Since Paul is dead the criminal charges against him are dropped, and I wonder if that makes it more difficult for Mallory Beach's family to win the civil lawsuit against Alex and Buster (older son). Alex owned the boat, and Paul used Buster's ID to buy alcohol several hours before the boat crash at the gas station (also part of the civil lawsuit), and again at a bar not long before the crash. 

I doubt we will ever know, but I wonder what precipitated Gloria Satterfield's fall. Did she learn something, overhear something, put some pieces of information together that caused someone from the Murdaugh family to intentionally injure her in some way that was initially written off as trip and fall? 

If Alex has been addicted to opioids for 20 years (as his lawyer told the judge at his insurance fraud hearing) that could explain a lot of missing money. Addiction is an expensive habit. After his wife and son were murdered I can see his co-workers excusing suspicious behavior thinking he just lost his wife and son, and his father died of cancer a few days later, so lots of tragedy, but what about before? I can see Alex trying to blame all his financial misdeeds at the firm including how Gloria's estate was handled on his addiction, but if he was so consumed by addiction didn't his co-workers suspect something? 

Edited by ifosterkittens
Intentionally injure, not just injure
  • Upvote 6

Sharing for what it's worth (because it's definitely not confirmed anywhere).  I often watch Crime Talk with Scott Reich (he sometimes is a little too "right wing" for me, but he does provide good general information regarding criminal trial stuff and has been a criminal defense attorney for many years).  Anyhoo - he was recently in or near South Carolina and got to talking with some locals and the scuttlebutt is that locals allegedly knew Paul (the son who was killed) was a "bad one" from the start.  This is clearly just gossip, but there is often more than a grain of truth in local gossip.  If so, maybe Paul somehow caused Gloria Satterfield's death:  maybe he was in a bad mood or rage and she just happened to get in the way, and got knocked down some stairs by him.  That sort of thing.  

And if I remember correctly, didn't the police re-open the investigation into Steven Smith's death after recovering Paul's cell phone?  If that is accurate, then that makes me think that there were text messages or something similar that must have discussed Steven Smith and his death.  

No one would believe all these events that have occurred involving this family, if it were written as a screenplay or work of fiction.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I keep going over this in my mind…children are at their mother’s funeral and her boss comes up to them and says, “Hey, why don’t you sue me for this?”

Like ?!?!?!?

• I Agree 8