IGNORED

All Creatures Great and Small-2020 version

PennySycamore

Is anyone else watching the new version of All Creatures Great and Small?  While the original was iconic , this one is wonderful, too.  Samuel West is a worthy successor to Robert Hardy as Siegfried as does Callum Woodhouse's Tristan to Peter Davison's interpretation of the role.  Nicholas Ralph is very good as James in his first role. Siegfried is a widower and develops a love interest late in Season 1.  Both Siegfried and Mrs Hall are veterans of the Great War as Mrs Hall was a WREN.  So far they've had the cow that needed "boring out" as she "was going on three cylinders",  Clancy, the large dog that had an insatiable appetite for rubbish,  the horse that James had to euthanize because it suffered from a twisted bowel, and, of course Tricki Woo who has an insatiable  appetite for Fortnum and Mason's hampers.  I wonder how the show is going to handle Dame Diana Rigg's recent death.  Will they recast the role of Mrs Pumphrey?  Or will we have seen the last of dear Tricki?  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just finished watching this season. I didn’t see the original, or read the book but I’m really enjoying it as I do most PBS series. The actors are all top notch. Hope there’s another season. 

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Love 1

I loved this show, and am looking forward to the second season. I barely remember the original as I was around 3 or so when it was on.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere in the house we've got the first four James Herriot books as well as James Herriot's Cat Stories and maybe even a battered copy of Moses the Kitten.  I was wanting to reread them and happened to find The Lord God Made Them All on my bookshelf.  It's the last of the four and it is set in post-war Yorkshire when Jim and Helen are parents to Jimmy and Rosie.  Anyway I am looking at the cover of my first edition and there on the back cover is little Jimmy petting this terrier that looks me so much of my beloved Lucy.  My husband thought the terrier looked like Lucy as well.  

I can't wait till next season either.  

OK, I need to tell my All Creatures story. I was a horse crazy girl who wanted to be a vet and LOVED the All Creatures books. Fast forward 20 years. My Dear Husband and I were in Aspen  (1990ish) to ski. We were sitting in the bar of the Jerome Hotel next to these two really nice young  men from Yorkshire. After about 45 minutes of conversation it comes up that they are from Thirsk (Darrowby). I ask, were you lucky enough to know Mr Herriot? Yes, says Jim Wight, jr ...he was my father. Whereupon I burst into tears, which I am quite sure many people do upon meeting him. He wrote a really nice memoir years later about the real life Jim Herriot https://www.amazon.com/Real-James-Herriot-Memoir-Father/dp/0345434900/ref=sr_1_1?crid=L91K9WL810B8&dchild=1&keywords=the+real+james+herriot&qid=1615604995&sprefix=the+real+herriott%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1

Edited by omilona
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

• 10 months later...