IGNORED

The GOP: Not What It Used to Be

fraurosena

I'm no fan of Cheney, but what the GQP is doing to her is wrong:

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm no fan of Cheney, but what the GQP is doing to her is wrong:

It hurts me to admit this, but she's the voice of the reason in this particular situation, and there's no room for that in today's GQP.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

4 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

It hurts me to admit this, but she's the voice of the reason in this particular situation, and there's no room for that in today's GQP.

She and the few like her remaining need to run as Independents, or split and form a new party. There is no room for them, and the longer they stay the more tainted they are. I honestly think a split is coming, and that could prove quite interesting. Despite the Lincoln Project and others like it I think the moderates have no chance of regaining control of the party, which doesn't leave many options.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

A good satirical quiz from Alexandra Petri: "Quiz: Are you still welcome in today’s GOP?"

We Republicans live in a confusing time. Some people are receiving censure while others are receiving praise. It seems like all kinds of people are making all kinds of mistakes, but only some of them are the object of ire. Wondering if you’re still welcome in today’s GOP? Never fear! This quiz is here to help.

1) What have you been up to lately?

A. Mostly being yelled at by members of my own party.

B. Something I will describe as having people try to “recategorize my generosity to ex-girlfriends as something more untoward.”

C. I have been very busy trying to read all 14 pages of the Green New Deal, when I’m not hanging transphobic signs and indulging bizarre conspiracies!

D. I haunt my country club like a specter. I crash weddings. I rove the golf course. I stand on the patio at odd hours and rant to anyone who cares to listen about what I believe was stolen from me.

E. I recently visited Cancún!

2) When people see you, what do they yell?

A. Communist!

B. Four more years!

C. Where we go one, we go all!

3) How do you feel about slavery?

A. It was definitely bad? What kind of a question is this?

B. I think maybe we need to discuss the “good” side of it.

4) Think about something that you might have done of late to lose the confidence of your colleagues. What was it?

A. Refused to say that the 2020 election was stolen after there was no evidence that it was stolen.

B. Voted in favor of overturning the results of a legitimate election.

C. Tried to start a racist “Anglo-Saxon” America First Caucus.

D. Gestured encouragingly at a band of insurrectionists.

5) What’s something you’ve said on TV recently?

A. Refused to apologize for denouncing the Jan. 6 insurrection.

B. Started rewriting the story of Jan. 6 by suggesting that President Donald Trump did not know about the insurrection.

C. Said that former president Barack Obama’s urging teenagers eligible for the vaccine to get vaccinated is “creepy.”

D. Mentioned QAnon — in a non-negative way!

6) What do you think about voting?

A. Voting is so important. We should try to appeal to more voters with good policies.

B. People who agree with us are legitimate and ought to vote, and everyone else’s voting should be sternly discouraged through revisions of state law.

7) How have you tried to reach people with your message recently?

A. Wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post.

B. Signed this voting suppression bill on the air on “Fox & Friends”!

C. Recently started a new social media site that is just tweets by me to which no one can respond.

D. Enormous book deal about how I am being silenced.

? Whom do you look up to?

A. Remember Ronald Reagan?

B. Donald Trump! I recently constructed an effigy of him out of gold and paid homage to it. My dream is to make a pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago, where I may be touched and healed.

9) What is the Big Lie?

A. That Donald Trump won the election.

B. That Donald Trump did not win the election. (Also, it should be in ALL CAPS!)

10) Can Donald Trump do wrong?

A. Yes.

B. No.

C. I’m appalled that you would even ask that! That’s thoughtcrime!

11) Have you no decency? At long last, have you no decency?

A. I have some!

B. No.

Answer key:

Any A’s: You are OUT! Your brief moment of valor will cost you. This is not a party for people to take courageous moral stands like that. This is a party for people to demonstrate truckling, abject personal loyalty to former president Donald Trump! You fool, you imbecile! You should not have defied him!

Anything but A: You’re fine! We’re a big-tent party!

• Haha 8

This is an excellent video about Stefanik:

• Thank You 6

:doh:

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Eyeroll 11

Spoiler

image.png.387ee2e454f35b6bdd115da2056854f9.png

image.png.1fa4434c6c2794f749c50bf2950f8790.png

Spoiler

image.png.a3523c69c2297e3b7cdb260bd00755f9.png

Just curious if anyone knows whose body was used for Trump? Just wondering how that person feels about all of this.

• WTF 10

Everyone beat me to it. Once upon a time I thought of retiring at The Villages. Now it's a BIG nope. " Declaring War", "America First" nope they just mean white Christians first...but you all knew that.

• Upvote 5

After reading that 300 rally goers were allowed inside, and 1000 more were lined up outside, I was wondering what the population of The Villages might be.  One estimate was over 125,000, so if you consider maybe the attendees weren't all from the area, the number of people at the rally was a very small percentage.  I don't know much about The Villages, but I was happy they had a number of protestors, so hopefully it isn't totally a hotbed of hate.  I wish Gaetz and Greene would go away.  Sigh.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Just curious if anyone knows whose body was used for Trump? Just wondering how that person feels about all of this.

I think it’s Sylvester Stallone from one of the Rocky movies. 

• Thank You 4

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

the number of people at the rally was a very small percentage.  I don't know much about The Villages, but I was happy they had a number of protestors

Glad to learn there were protesters but the Morse family who owns The Villages or the holding company donate heavily to Florida Republicans and to 45. Pretty sure I would't want my portion of fees/HOA lining their pockets. The more I learn... 

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

the Morse family who owns The Villages or the holding company donate heavily to Florida Republicans and to 45. Pretty sure I would't want my portion of fees/HOA lining their pockets.

That's good information to know.  I am just counting down the days until the neo-Nazis next door exit our neighborhood.  I told my husband that if we get new neighbors that are that horrible, we are moving.  The Villages has been duly struck from our list, lol. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

The Villages is an area in FL that is largely a mini-city of seniors.

My dad told me that they used to have the highest rates of STDs as well...anywhooo.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

A party of middle school boys.

image.png.e2d67f991961f07b2f3cfdf15c3a4c9c.png

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I think 45 is going to kill the Republican party. May a third party arise because the USA isn't doing well with only two. I hope the non 45 half does leave. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

I think 45 is going to kill the Republican party. May a third party arise because the USA isn't doing well with only two. I hope the non 45 half does leave. 

Which is probably a good thing if 45 takes the fascist, antiscience, QAnon, inhumane part of the GOP with him.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Smash! said:

Which is probably a good thing if 45 takes the fascist, antiscience, QAnon, inhumane part of the GOP with him.

i absolutely hope they do split into two parties. Republicans are already the minority in this country, but if they split into reasonable people and the Qult, things might do better. The reasonable ones would, hopefully, be willing to work with Dems on things that are non-partisan. And, being reasonable intelligent people, any of their policies that have merit are likely to be considered. And with the Rs split, it likely wouldn't be terribly long before the Dems split into moderates and far-left, hopefully democratizing things further. Two parties is too few, IMO, because they're stretched so thin trying to encompass such a huge range within them.

Right now it's basically the Dems and the nuthouse, and it makes it difficult for anyone to get anything done. MTG and the other Q-nuts basically seem to be putting on a circus to distract everyone from actually working. 

Actually I'd be fine if the Q people all moved to Texas and seceded, frankly. With apologies to those in Texas who are reasonable, good people. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

It's sad that the GQP encourages and embraces childish members like Cawthorn:

image.png.65e9d01081252818a8e34671af23018d.png

• I Agree 5

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It's sad that the GQP encourages and embraces childish members like Cawthorn:

image.png.65e9d01081252818a8e34671af23018d.png

Isn't Cawthorn the one who beat up a tree?

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I love that song...?

I was in the pep band in college, we played for basketball games. There was a tradition that if we were ahead, the last several minutes of the game, we'd play that song. First, the bass player would play solo for about 30 seconds and then the rest of us would join in from the bottom: tubas, euphoniums, tenor saxes, mellophones, alto saxes, and trumpets, with all of us playing quietly until the last minute of the game, when we'd all turn up the volume and the keyboards and drums would join. That was always such fun! Every time I hear or think of that song, I remember all the times I got to play it.

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • Upvote 10

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic