IGNORED

Jayme Closs found alive

Howl

Wisconsin Teen Jayme Closs, 13, Found Alive Months After Parents Killed: Police

Missing Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs has been found alive, according to a statement from Barron County Sheriff's Department. Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald wrote that Closs had been located by Douglas County Sheriff's Department in Superior, Wisconsin. “Shortly after this, a suspect was taken into custody in regards to this case,” Fitzgerald wrote. “We do not any other details at this time as this is a very fluid and active investigation.” Fitzgerald also wrote that the FBI and Wisconsin DCI agents would continue to provide support in the investigation. According to the department, a briefing about the matter is scheduled for Friday at 10:00 a.m. Closs had been missing since last last year after her parents were found shot dead in their home.

Sheriff's facebook post: 

Barron County Sheriff's Department

41 minutes ago

Jayme Closs has been located

On Thursday evening the Barron County Sheriff’s Department was notified by the Douglas CO WI Sheriff’s Department that they had located Jayme Closs alive.

Shortly after this a suspect was taken into custody in regards to this case. We do not any other details at this time as this is a very fluid and active investigation. We will not be answering any questions or taking calls on this tonight.

We are planning a press briefing approximately 10 am tomorrow at the Sheriff’s Department in Barron. We are receiving support from the FBI and WI DCI agents as this investigation continues.

We want to thank the Douglas Co Sheriff’s Department and agencies assisting them tonight. We also want to thank all the Law Enforcement agencies across the state and county that have assisted us in this case. We also could not have endured this case without the support of the public and I want to thank them for all the support and help.

Finally we want to especially thank the family for their support and patience while this case was ongoing. We promised to bring Jayme home and tonight we get to fulfill that promise. From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!

This case has been very trying on the family so please respect their privacy and we reunite them later tonight.

Sheriff Fitzgerald

That poor girl has to deal with whatever happened to her since October, plus both parents were killed. My heart hurts for her. So glad she had the guts to escape.

When we first heard the report this morning, my first thought was to wonder if she had something to do with her parent's deaths, only because I read a true-crime book recently where that was what happened.  But only because of that.

I am very glad that she has been found and rescued.  What I heard this afternoon was that she managed to escape him and ran to the first person she saw and asked for help.  The short report on the local news radio station said that there was a possible connection, apparently he may have worked at the same company as her father but for only 1 day and about 3 years ago.

So very glad she is home safe with loving relatives.  I can't imagine the trauma of seeing her parents murdered and then being abducted. 

High school friends and acquaintances of the abductor can't believe that he has done such a thing; he's never shown violent tendencies.  There seemed to have been no red flags.  The guy looks unlikely for a murderer/kidnapper (whatever that means).  His mug shot is in this link: 

Jayme Closs' parents were killed because they were 'barrier' to her kidnapping, sheriff says

6 hours ago, Howl said:

High school friends and acquaintances of the abductor can't believe that he has done such a thing; he's never shown violent tendencies.  There seemed to have been no red flags.  The guy looks unlikely for a murderer/kidnapper (whatever that means).

Bet he's an incel.

I'm very glad that she's been found & is safe with her relatives. She's a brave young woman and the past few months must have been dreadful for her.

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Bet he's an incel.

Bingo -- I bet you're right.  The area where the cabin is located is in the woods in a relatively remote and sparsely populated area.  I wonder if there is any type of cable or access to internet?  I'm sure if there is a computer or phone that forensic analysis is underway. 

Also, the first person that Jayme encountered was a woman with past CPS caseworker experience, so she knew what to do.  Kismet. 

One neighbor said he and his brother were caught siphoning gas one time, but were otherwise good kids.  Other neighbors say they were in and out of foster care and were petty criminals.  The parents moved away and let the boys continue to live in the cabin, but don't say how old the boys were when they left. 

He grew up in a town of under 700 people.  All the kids went to school in the same building.  He graduated 3 years ago.  For the most part, many of his teacher don't remember him, and if they do, all they can say is that he was quiet.  For those who are familiar with teachers and schools in very small towns, this make very little sense.  You'd have to be quiet to the point of being invisible for teachers to not remember you in a school system that tiny. 

I've seen some brief interviews with Jayme's aunt (the murdered mom's sister), who will be raising her from here on out.  That woman is a rock, with a loving positive outlook and I think will be great as a second mom.  

I hope the kidnapper/murderer takes a plea (life in prison vs death penalty if death penalty in on the table in that state) and Jayme is not forced to testify at a trial. 

Being the true crime buff that I am, I knew the the percentages when Jayme went missing as many do these days due to TV and things. I haven't been online as much lately or keeping up with news (I needed some self care and to take a break from news) but I cried with relief when she was found. I am so thankful for the statistical outliers that are found. Her parents raised one strong girl.

I hope she can live as regular a life as possible with her circumstances from here on out.

Wow! That poor girl! What a horrible story!! She heard him kill her father and watched him kill her mother?! He is a disgusting piece of shit.

Elizabeth Smart was interviewed on this and she said with compassion and based on her experience,  you grieve deeply this loss, but  your past life is over and you can never go back or get back who you were then.  There is only the person you are now and the only way to go is forward.  However, for Jaymie Closs,  I cannot conceive the trauma of witnessing the murder of both parents and her subsequent abduction. 

On 1/19/2019 at 11:34 AM, Howl said:

Elizabeth Smart was interviewed on this and she said with compassion and based on her experience,  you grieve deeply this loss, but  your past life is over and you can never go back or get back who you were then.  There is only the person you are now and the only way to go is forward.  However, for Jaymie Closs,  I cannot conceive the trauma of witnessing the murder of both parents and her subsequent abduction. 

I can't, either.  She is going to need plenty of help to do that "moving forward", and I hope the people around her will let her do it at her own pace.

Barron County, where Jayme was taken from has already filed charges against Patterson relating to the murder of Jayme's parents and the kidnapping of Jayme. Douglas County, where Jayme was found has not yet filed charges, though they may at some point in the future. 

My personal feeling is any additional charges filed should only be filed if Jayme wants them to be. Her case was high profile, her name and picture were all over the internet. She may not want more specific information made public or she may feel empowered by the ability to press charges. In any case I hope she finds peace.

Douglas County, Wis., to hold off on additional charges against Jake Patterson

I doubt he carried out an elaborate plan to kill others and take her hostage to just watch TV and hang out for nearly 3 months, so I'm sure there's plenty of charges that could be carried out... but I agree, they should only be carried out if Jayme wants them to be OR if somehow his "life" sentence turns out to be much less and she feels safer with him behind bars forever (where he deserves to be) and more charges will keep him in a jail cell for the remainder of his life. 

I hope she finds a phenomenal therapist and can start grieving and eventually moving forward in this new life with the support of her relatives (and dog whose emotional support, I'm sure is invaluable.) 

He's been charged on two counts of murder which, I fervently hope, is or should be enough to keep him in prison for life. 

Jayme should be the one to decide what, if any, additional charges involving her abduction should be pursued.  I also hope that she is getting the therapeutic support that she needs.

• 1 month later...

Jake Patterson has pled guilty today to the two homicide counts and kidnapping.  The abduction was carefully planned, including the intention to kill both parents to remove any witnesses. 

He can change his plea any time from now until he is sentenced; at this point he seems committed to a guilty plea. 

Archived