IGNORED

Mass shooting in California bar

Rachel333

Oh, another one. Sorry, I have run out of things to say and do that haven been said or done already.

My husband is working in Thousand Oaks this week. Thankfully, he realized I'd get paranoid as soon as I heard about the shooting, and texted me at 5:30 AM to let me know that he was no where near that bar/club.

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Oh, another one. Sorry, I have run out of things to say and do that haven been said or done already.

That's my first thought when I hear about the newest mass shooting as well, but it also feels callous to all the people for whom this isn't just another one, whose lives are ended or forever changed. I'm scared that we are starting to accept these events as just something that happens.

Here's the obligatory piece from The Onion: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens. It's sad to look back on all the identical headlines from even just the past year.

Yeah, I don't know what to say. Obviously this is a horrific event, and I feel so much sympathy for the families whose lives are so cruelly, drastically changed, but at the same time... I don't know what to say. This is quickly becoming the norm for you Americans, and I find that really sad. 

Why? I just don't understand why.... My heart hurts for those 12 families, yet at the same time, is it right to feel sympathy for the gunman's family? Or is it wrong to?

7 minutes ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Why? I just don't understand why.... My heart hurts for those 12 families, yet at the same time, is it right to feel sympathy for the gunman's family? Or is it wrong to?

I certainly feel sympathy for the gunman's family, assuming they had nothing to do with it. They lost a family member too, and in a particularly complicated way.

I read somewhere and am just spreading an internet rumor* that I'm not confirming either way that one of the victims was a Vegas shooting survivor. 

* sorry. I'm really just exhausted from all the bad news lately, much of which could easily be prevented. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I read somewhere and am just spreading an internet rumor* that I'm not confirming either way that one of the victims was a Vegas shooting survivor. 

* sorry. I'm really just exhausted from all the bad news lately, much of which could easily be prevented. 

I don't know about the victims (I haven't seen any identified except the deputy), but there were Vegas shooting survivors at the bar. I can't imagine what it would do to you to have that happen twice. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-bar-shooting-survivors-of-las-vegas-massacre-were-at-borderline-bar-and-grill/

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't know about the victims (I haven't seen any identified except the deputy), but there were Vegas shooting survivors at the bar. I can't imagine what it would do to you to have that happen twice. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-bar-shooting-survivors-of-las-vegas-massacre-were-at-borderline-bar-and-grill/

Thank you for the correction. 

9 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I have been reading that too. 

More updates: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/california-shooting-intl/index.html

Shooter Ian David Long’s mother “lived in fear” of what her son might do, saying when police were called to the house earlier this year “it took them about a half a day to get him out of the house," a neighbor told CNN.

Neighbor Richard Berge said Long’s mother told him she was concerned about her son, though not worried about her own safety, and that “she was… kind of beside herself, she didn’t know what to do because he wouldn’t get help.”

I thought this administration was doing so much for the veterans? Seems nothing has changed. Guy had plenty of issues. Very sad. I'll wait for more of the story, there is still so much we don't know but its starting to come to light. 

Sorry just real tired of nothing changing. I think it was on FJ that I posted about the synagogue..... that we just move on until the next one. 

One of the victims is Alaina Housley (18). She is the niece of Tamera Mowry-Housley (from Sister, Sister) and her husband Adam Housley a former correspondent for Fox News. 

Tamera Mowry-Housley Mourns Niece Killed In Thousand Oaks Shooting

My heart just feels so broken after these shootings. There is really no reason why this should be happening over and over again.

30 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

One of the victims is Alaina Housley (18). She is the niece of Tamera Mowry-Housley (from Sister, Sister) and her husband Adam Housley a former correspondent for Fox News. 

Tamera Mowry-Housley Mourns Niece Killed In Thousand Oaks Shooting

My heart just feels so broken after these shootings. There is really no reason why this should be happening over and over again.

No there isn't. Things won't change. ever. I kept thinking after children in Sandy Hook were shot something would change. It didn't. Then the Vegas shooting with so many casualties and nothing. 

Not trying to start a gun debate BUT it's time the 2nd Amendment gets ratified. Rewritten to modern standards. And nothing is going to change so long as politicians can accept big $$$ from the NRA and Joe Blow keeps screaming you can't and won't take his guns away. And yet again a good guy with a gun (trained law enforcement officer!!) was killed by a bad guy with a gun. That philosophy just doesn't work. I'm about to say fuck the 2nd Amendment and somebody's bullshit "god-given right" to defend themselves. 

8 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Thoughts and prayers. . . (again)

I never thought it could happen in my town, but it did. One week ago. Some misogynistic,  bigoted, misfit went into a yoga studio in a nice little shopping center and killed 2 people, shot 5. A yoga center I drive past at least 6 times a week. A yoga center my niece went to.  Two women, a bright, talented 21-year-old college senior, who was concerned about gun violence and a 61-year-old doctor are dead. Neither knew the shooter. Both contributed to this world and made it a better place, but that is cold comfort to their friends and family. And here we go again - it hasn't even been a week.

When is this nation going to enact reasonable gun regulations? Wonder if I will live to see it.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm not sure I would ever leave the house again.  

I am so, so sad to hear this. Even more sad that I'm not surprised. I lived in Ventura County years ago and we would always go to Thousand Oaks. It's such a nice place. 

I was sitting with my daughter at dinner the other night and thought about what we would do if a shooter suddenly came through the door. It's really sad that we have to think of things like that. 

Ditto to what one of the posters said upthread about how we need to take mental health seriously. My vote on Tuesday reflected that. So many people can't afford to get help and the medication and therapy that they need. It needs to be accessible to everyone!

As far as guns go, I have always hated them and feared them. This year, I actually got a gun and learned how to use it safely. It's just a 22, not huge, and it's because we live in the mountains and have bears and mountain lions (and at one point, an unstable armed neighbor). My husband recently bought another 22 for himself and it's a pretty easy process. You have to show your license and some sort of gun paperwork and then wait 10 days, and bam, you get your gun. I don't really know what the background check entails. But I do know that it's really easy for people who want a gun to get one.

That said, we spent some time this summer in Alabama, and here's a pic I took at a gun store. I'll just leave this right here. There is NO reason any civilian needs weapons like these.

IMG_2137 (1).JPG

Or magazines that hold 20+ bullets at a time. You (general) don't need 20, 50, 100 rounds to protect yourself. And if you (general) can't hit a deer in the first few shots then you either need a lot more practice or you shouldn't be in possession of a deadly weapon. And tired of this "oh I like to shoot cans/fruit/targets on my 10 acres of property for fun". Then stop saying it's for protection and admit it just makes you feel in control and powerful/ego boost.

*steps off soapbox*

5 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

No, I don't think it's wrong.  They have still lost someone and in addition have the knowledge that their lost person caused the loss of other lives.  I think it's human to have sympathy.  Having sympathy is not the same as condoning what he did, it's thinking of his family and their loss.

I'm not anti-gun, but at the same time I am not gun crazy.  I have some experience with handling one and with shooting.  We do not broadcast that we "might" have weaponry for various reasons.  But I can defend myself if necessary.  I think it would still be hard to do, but I think I could if I had to.  Having said all that, I have to say that something has to be done.  Something has to change.  Society is not the same as it was a few decades ago, for whatever reason.  This has to stop.

I commented to Mr. Briefly that things are so different now from when we were kids/teens/young adults.  I never was into clubbing all that much, but that is simply something that we never thought of.  It was never even a thing to be worried about.

My heart hurts for all those people and their families.

6 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I'm about to say fuck the 2nd Amendment and somebody's bullshit "god-given right" to defend themselves. 

Fuck the second amendment! America is no longer a civilized nation, awash in blood and hate. I would leave if I could.

Archived