IGNORED

Red State Democrats

Cartmann99

I thought it would be nice to have a topic for my fellow red state democrats to share their experiences with being blue in a sea of red.  

This is the first year I've ever had political signs in my yard. I asked my husband if he thought it would make things difficult for him at work, he said no, but I still mulled it over for months. I was scared that someone might steal the signs or vandalize our home for supporting Democrats.

So far, so good...

My state representative is so damn gun happy that my nickname for him is Bang-Bang. We refer to the newsletter he sends out to constituents as the Bang-Bang Report. 

I know how you feel - my neighborhood is Trump City. During Obama's campaign for re-election I noticed one  of my neighbors had his Obama sign nailed to a pine tree about 25 feet high! I asked him about it once, he told me it was his THIRD sign - the other two had been removed at night!

I'm in Florida & I'm concerned that we may LOSE our blue Senate seat. Rick Scott, the vilest human being and most incompetent governor in Florida history, is really going after Bill Nelson. As well as a half dozen PACs with the really ugly ads. If you live in Florida, well, you know what to do!

6 minutes ago, AuntK said:

I know how you feel - my neighborhood is Trump City. During Obama's campaign for re-election I noticed one  of my neighbors had his Obama sign nailed to a pine tree about 25 feet high! I asked him about it once, he told me it was his THIRD sign - the other two had been removed at night!

I'm in Florida & I'm concerned that we may LOSE our blue Senate seat. Rick Scott, the vilest human being and most incompetent governor in Florida history, is really going after Bill Nelson. As well as a half dozen PACs with the really ugly ads. If you live in Florida, well, you know what to do!

I always think of Rick Scott as the evil Mr. Clean.

I haven't been paying super close attention to your Senate race, but I am pulling for Bill Nelson. I'm really hoping that the majority of the Puerto Ricans who moved to Florida, and are registered to vote, will think Rick Scott=Trump and vote accordingly.

When is the cutoff in Florida for being registered to vote for the general election? Here in Texas it's October 9th.

2 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

When is the cutoff in Florida for being registered to vote for the general election? Here in Texas it's October 9th.

Same as Texas, Oct. 9. Repugs here are saying they may lose Senate seat in Texas, but they will probably gain one in Florida!? I really don't understand Scott's success; he only won the last governorship by 67,000 votes. He has no personality, no charisma,  and tons of baggage from his former career in healthcare. He has done NOTHING for the average citizen; he is beholden to Big Sugar, which, has helped create the worst environmental disaster on SW Florida's beaches in years - dead fish, dead dolphins, dead manatees. If SW Florida can live through this and still vote for him. . . I can't even. . . SMDH!

1 minute ago, AuntK said:

Same as Texas, Oct. 9. Repugs here are saying they may lose Senate seat in Texas, but they will probably gain one in Florida!? I really don't understand Scott's success; he only won the last governorship by 67,000 votes. He has no personality, no charisma,  and tons of baggage from his former career in healthcare. He has done NOTHING for the average citizen; he is beholden to Big Sugar, which, has helped create the worst environmental disaster on SW Florida's beaches in years - dead fish, dead dolphins, dead manatees. If SW Florida can live through this and still vote for him. . . I can't even. . . SMDH!

You'd think that with tourism being such a big chunk of the economy in Florida, that even the Republicans would want to protect your beaches. :pb_sad:

This will be my first biggish election since moving to Texas and looking forward to voting during the midterms. I have to admit that it'll be the easiest time I have with voting because I will probably end up doing a straight party ticket with voting Democrat.

As for political signs this is the first time I got the chance to put up signs and currently sitting at 3 Beto signs up. One been up since June and the others went up during the middle of August. So far no tampering with. And out of boredom I have been taking note on where I seen Beto signs vs Cruz's. The count has been primary focused on my neighborhood but when I go back to work on Tuesday I do have the plan on driving by some of the neighborhoods near ACU.

The current tally is 4 Beto Houses to 1 Cruz House within a mile of each other.

I really feel for you all... I have lived in a strong Blue State for the last 7 years but before that grew up in a red area of a purple State and then lived is an adult in a red state. I'll never forget the election of 2004, when one of my friends said that Ohio went the right direction and all I could think of was no it didn't! I'm not a fan of George Bush in office!

My husband pointed out to me that the neighbor who had put up a Beto sign, has now added a sign supporting the Democratic woman who is challenging our U.S. House member. ? We've lived in this house for four years, and this is the first year that I've ever seen political signs on our block.

13 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I really feel for you all... I have lived in a strong Blue State for the last 7 years but before that grew up in a red area of a purple State and then lived is an adult in a red state. I'll never forget the election of 2004, when one of my friends said that Ohio went the right direction and all I could think of was no it didn't! I'm not a fan of George Bush in office!

My husband was in graduate school when Clinton was reelected, and some of the conservative people who worked in his department wore black armbands to school the day after the election. I was like :my_huh: when he told me that.

16 hours ago, klabourdeth said:

This will be my first biggish election since moving to Texas and looking forward to voting during the midterms.

Are you comfortable sharing what state you moved here from, or just the region?

Are you comfortable sharing what state you moved here from, or just the region?

Primarily from Michigan/Ohio region. Before I moved to Texas, I was in Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri border area for 4 years as well.

The time I was in the Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri area was the first time me & my husband had to be careful to mind our P's & Q's when in public. As in we were advise to cover or remove our Obama bumper stickers because a series of cars got keyed over the stickers just before we moved in. The only thing politically I only dared to wear my Lady Parts Justice shirt but that was because hardly anyone knew what the organization was.

50 minutes ago, klabourdeth said:

The time I was in the Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri area was the first time me & my husband had to be careful to mind our P's & Q's when in public. As in we were advise to cover or remove our Obama bumper stickers because a series of cars got keyed over the stickers just before we moved in.

I've never put any political stuff on our car for this reason. For at least five years after the 2008 election, an employee at the local grocery store had one of those "Vote for the American!" stickers on their car. ? 

I had to run an errand this morning and drove around a bit to try and count political signs in people's yards. After I left my block, I only saw one sign, and that was for Governor Abbott. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but I'm really shocked that I didn't see any signs for Ted Cruz.

I turned the radio on in the car as I was driving around, and ended up listening to part of a religious program where the subject was the allegations that Christine Blasey Ford has made against Brett Kavanaugh. Since they are all Trump fans, they believe Kavanaugh and spoke of the Saul Alinsky tactics being used against him. A lady called in and went after them for asking why a victim of sexual assault would not immediately report that she had been a victim of a crime. They listened for a while, and then hustled her off the air and started trying to say how they aren't taking sides, they just want the truth, blah, blah, blah. 

Ted Cruz and Beto O'Rourke have a debate tonight at 6pm central time, but being able to watch it on television depends on where you live in Texas. My town has decided that we would not be interested in seeing it, so no local television station is carrying the debate. I'm going to try and watch it online. The NBC affiliate for the Dallas area, the Dallas Morning News, and the Texas Tribune have all said they will offer a stream of it. I'm crossing my fingers for no technical difficulties tonight!

Just wanted to add that my area did end up showing the debate on television after all. They must have had a change of heart at the last minute, as when I checked the listings just after midnight on Friday, nobody was planning to carry it.

On 9/17/2018 at 12:56 PM, Cartmann99 said:

My husband pointed out to me that the neighbor who had put up a Beto sign, has now added a sign supporting the Democratic woman who is challenging our U.S. House member. ? We've lived in this house for four years, and this is the first year that I've ever seen political signs on our block.

The neighbor above has added another Beto sign to the collection.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

We had to go downtown today to go to the eye doctor, so I kept an eye out for political signs along the way. I saw quite a few signs for local races, one for my Texas state representative, one for Beto, and nothing for Ted Cruz.

I know lots of people just don't do signs in their yards, but I'm still amazed that I'm not seeing Cruz signs in such a conservative area. :think:

Archived