IGNORED

Autumn- Autobiography

Autumn Kern

Hello there!

After being told repeatedly that I need to write an autobiography, I've decided to go for it...and who better to reach out to than Free Jinger? What do you want to know? What questions should be answered in the book? 

Sidenote- hello to everyone! A hugely general update on my life: I'm doing well and I'm happy! 

Autumn, you are amazing. Really... I have followed you for years.

I am curious about your marriage. I will leave it at that. I can’t imagine what you went through and what you are ready to talk about.

Ironically, you popped up on another group I am part of regarding Saudi Arabia. I almost said something but chickened out.

6 minutes ago, Mrsquigs said:

Autumn, you are amazing. Really... I have followed you for years.

I am curious about your marriage. I will leave it at that. I can’t imagine what you went through and what you are ready to talk about.

Ironically, you popped up on another group I am part of regarding Saudi Arabia. I almost said something but chickened out.

Blue Abaya, I'm assuming? I started following that group when I started studying Arabic, I love it!

Oh hey! I’m so glad to hear you’re doing well! I actually used to read your old blog a bit years and years ago and discovered a couple nice songs on that playlist you had. So there’s a random tangent for you, haha. :)

I’d be curious to know how your religious beliefs have changed or evolved over the years... and basically how your beliefs or perspectives have changed in general. And how what you went through affected your family, if it led to any major changes there, etc. Also really interested to know what your plans for the future are!

Welcome, @Autumn Kern -- so great to hear that you are doing well & that life is good!

ETA: I think it's great you're seriously considering writing an autobiography. You would provide a valuable perspective for others, and not just other young women like yourself. Also, like others here, I would be interested in just how your (and your family's) religious beliefs have changed -- what events, if any, were catalysts for change? What do you plan or want to do with your life (and maybe you're doing it now!)? I look forward to hearing about whatever you feel comfortable sharing here.

Hello--I used to follow your blog, and have a lot of admiration and respect for you. I'm glad to hear you're doing well! If it doesn't cross family members' boundary lines, I'd be interested in how your relationship to your parents evolved as your life took new directions.

Welcome, Autumn! I am so glad you’re here and that you’re going to write an autobiography. I will absolutely buy a copy. I have so much respect for your courage and strength. 

Autumn, it's so good to hear you are doing well. I have been in awe of your courage and determination over the years. You are so much farther ahead in your journey than I was at your age. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, Autumn!  I am very glad that you have started posting here.  I read your mom's blog and yours from shortly before your wedding and then afterwards. I worried about you quite  bit. I am happy to hear that you are doing so well.  I do lurk on your facebook page every so often, mostly because I wanted to see how you were doing and then I could tell that you are doing really good.  Any questions I had would be how your relationship with your parents is these days, did they support you going to college and living on your own?  You are a very strong woman and obviously very intelligent.  I hope that things will continue to go well with you.

You seem like an interesting person. You have a guaranteed sale in me. 

How are you treated by members of your former religious sect now? What's your biggest regret? Do you harbor any resentment towards your parents for raising you in that way? Are you able to have healthy relationships now?

Hi Autumn! I’m not familiar with your story.  Is there somewhere I could get caught up before the book comes out?

51 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

Hi Autumn! I’m not familiar with your story.  Is there somewhere I could get caught up before the book comes out?

Found this. Scroll down a little ways, some people have summarized... 

I have to say I don't like how defensive the mother got. You supported child marriage for Pete's sake!!! Sure a 35 year-old can make a mistake too- least it's a consenting adult though. It's your job as a parent to filter your teen's decisions. Lots of teens think they know best or more than their parents. That was a pretty big oops on their part, to say the least. I don't know I think it was in good taste to try and justify it.

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback!

A lot of what you've asked I will save to answer in the book, but as far as what I'm doing now:

I (hopefully!) finally graduate in December! I'll have a double major in Political Science and International Studies and a minor in Arabic. I picked up my real estate sales certification last fall, and am currently working as a Director of Operations for a real estate team! I am involved with my university's Model UN team, and I ran for a political office this spring- didn't go in my favor, but was a great experience! I hope to eventually work as a government research analyst, or work with the UN, and plan to keep up in real estate, as well. My ultimate goal is to be a professor. After finishing undergrad, I hope to start grad school and work on a dual track for International Comparative Politics and MPA. Working full time and going to school full time doesn't leave much time for anything extra, but I love travelling when I can, and reading anything I can get my hands on!

Hi Autumn! Glad you are doing well. 

Questions...What specifically made you change your mind about attending college? Was it a slow process or did you just suddenly decide you wanted something different for your life? You certainly seem to be very active at school and have taken advantage of various opportunities yours offered. Congratulations-and on your upcoming graduation!

Do you cook as well as your mom? I love her food blog and miss her posts. I hope she never takes it down because I love her recipes and still use them.

Would you like to live abroad? Especially in an Arabic speaking country? Great for developing language skills.

Do you still attend church? If so, is it less conservative? Have your beliefs changed? How did your old church pastor and congregation react to your abuse and divorce?

Where would you like to live and teach? Do you have a particular university in mind?

I really admire your strength, courage, and work ethic.  I wish you the best with your grad school plans and career. 

On 7/29/2018 at 10:06 PM, Autumn Kern said:

Hello there!

After being told repeatedly that I need to write an autobiography, I've decided to go for it...and who better to reach out to than Free Jinger? What do you want to know? What questions should be answered in the book? 

Sidenote- hello to everyone! A hugely general update on my life: I'm doing well and I'm happy! 

Hi Autumn.  I am so very glad that you are well and happy.  You are a person that I have worried about, but not followed closely because I think you deserved your privacy to recover.  I have seen that you are doing well.  :my_heart:

On the autobiography - go for it!

Any and all details are important, but also keeping your own voice is paramount.  

We have some people here that have more knowledge than me about memoirs, publishing, and self-publishing and why that may be the best option.

@Hisey, are you there. :)

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 10:06 PM, Autumn Kern said:

Hello there!

I just saw this and wanted to say HI! You don't know me from Adam, but you and your family were one of my first "fundie encounters". I am so happy that you are happy and well, and kudos to your parents for supporting you the way they have in all you have done. Onward and upward!

Archived