IGNORED

People trying do it yourself braces

47of74

More do it yourself dumb fornicatery

A warning from the American Association of Orthodontists: Beware of internet videos and websites encouraging people to straighten their own teeth.

Videos for "do-it-yourself braces" are easy to find online. During the last few years, dentists noticed a growing problem.

"What's happening is that children are watching YouTube videos, and as a result, trying to do dentistry on their own," Dr. Richard Gesker of Dental Associates said.

In the videos, teens and young adults use paper clips, fishing line and other household items to try and straighten their teeth.

facepalm.gif.2d1ee70809737855d8ede12a1542f7d3.gif

Man that seems like a terrible idea... I've also recently discovered that there are companies that offer you some sort of teeth straightening kits. I follow a girl/woman (she's in her mid-twenties) on YouTube (partly hate-watching) and she has been getting involved with one of those companies. That's how I found out about it. I'll link the company she's affiliated with: https://smiledirectclub.com 
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't trust these kind of orthodontics. Anyone out here with positive experiences?

When we were kids my sister for a joke pretended she had a brace with paperclip to someone but people actually trying to use these in the hope of straightening your teeth is dumb. The Orthodontist I had got struck off for carrying out unnecessary work out on people and charging the NHS for the work, he wrecked my teeth and I still have an infant tooth that didn’t fall while he carried out this work, it will cost me money to get fixed. 

I just can NOT imagine why someone would do this!  I understand the financial aspect, but the risk of really bad damage is probably pretty high.  I remember when teeth whitening was just becoming popular, a lady I worked with was going to her dentist for it and there was a lot of stuff she had to do on her own time. She was pretty miserable. I know that there are now a lot of OTC whiteners, but I would not be at all comfortable using what is essentially bleach without at least having the dentist do it.  I have dentures and should probably see about new ones, but $$ is a serious issue.

I'm glad I spent the 3500 bucks to have my teeth professionally done and have the proper retainers made. Of course, I was like 48 when I finally did it but I'm glad I did. 

Archived