Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
formergothardite

IBLP Calls Cops on Bill Gothard for Trespass

Recommended Posts

Meh
formergothardite

It is time for IBLP"s family conference! Gil Bates has a video where he encourages families to skip their regular vacation and instead spend their money on the IBLP family conference. There are sessions on:

~preparing your family for persecution

~being ready for death

~the rewards you will get in heaven

~not being for sale at any price

~real science confirms the Bible is true

and much, much more.

Gil and Kelly do the opening welcome followed by the Paines(best know as Erin Bates Paine's inlaws) giving a greeting. Gil and Kelly are teaching five of the sessions but they are being vague about what they will be teaching. Michelle and Jim Bob are teaching two sessions, one called Counting On(how original) and the other called Desiring the Lord to Direct Your Steps. 

https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/bigsandy18/

One of the speakers will be a guy who runs a company called CharacterHealth Corporation. It is endorsed by IBLP and James Dobson and was shown on Fox News, Hannity, and Glen Beck's show, so it is safe to say it is a pile of dangerous rubbish. 

 

  • Upvote 24
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HereticHick

My predictions:

Lauren Caldwell will attend

Derick and Jill will go never mind that it isn't Derick's spring break and he should be in class.

Erin and Alyssa and their families won't attend (they have newborns as an excuse) nor will Whitney & Zach. 

Unsure if Evan Stewart will be able to get week off work to attend.

Jinger and Jeremy will come up to say hello but won't stay all week.

Lawson will preen and pose with babies.

And we should keep out eyes peeled for mysterious young ladies around Nathan Bates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite

Last year Gil and Kelly pretended on their Instagram that they were somewhere else. It used to be easy to spot the Bates/Duggars at the event, but the last couple of years pictures of them have been scarce even though they were obviously there. 

ETA: I bet the Pecan Family will post the most Instagram pictures/videos of the event.

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tired
Palimpsest
11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Last year Gil and Kelly pretended on their Instagram that they were somewhere else.

Wasn't it last year they posted on Instagram they were in Niagara Falls?   And they definitely hide from the cameras these days.

There are so many repeat speakers that I'm bored just looking at the schedule.  Oh, look!  There's young Gabriel Cleator again.  Howdy Doody finally got married last year, undoubtedly dashing the hopes of many a Gothardite maiden, but I forget his wife's name.

"How to Prepare Your Family for Persecution (dad's session)."  Pffft.  They don't know persecution.  Clue:  it is not FJ mocking them on the internet. 

"Why Do We Sing."  I misread that as Why Do We Swing.  (I blame DPIAT for putting that thought in my mind :D)

"True Science Confirms the Bible."  AKA, there were too dinosaurs on the Ark and evolution is a lie.

Why would people keep going back year after year?   Same old, same old.

 

  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 29
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EowynW

Ewwwwww only a couple hours from me. My husband remembers going to big sandy for their family camp. He said all the gothard girls were so weird. And everyone discouraged friendships between boys and girls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HereticHick
16 minutes ago, EowynW said:

. My husband remembers going to big sandy for their family camp. He said all the gothard girls were so weird. And everyone discouraged friendships between boys and girls. 

Well yeah--but you might meet your fabulous husband Josh in the concessions line!

  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 11
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DillyDally

This may be wishful thinking (and I have no logical arguments/evidence to support this), but I don't think Jinger and Jeremy will attend. I just don't see Jeremy at this kind of event... don't know how to describe it.

  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
Lachlanne

Hmmm.  Anyone have a good estimate on the age of the photo of Jim Bob and Michelle?  I'd say 10 years old, at least.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
smittykins

I'm surprised the Maxwells aren't the guest speakers for "Being Ready For Death"(AKA Where Will You Go When You DIE!).

  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar

That's Lauren's parents speaking as well correct? I'm guessing Siren may attend since their parents will be there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar

This may not be interesting to to most FJ folks but Peter Magnuson is married to Tabitha Burtt. The Burtt family hasn't really been on the FJ radar because they aren't weird or nutty like so many other fundies. Plus I believe they may have sent their children to a private Christian high school. So I don't think they are as strict as other fundies. But if you look at their old blog (last updated in 2012) they seemed to still be skirts only. There are 12 girls and 2 boys and almost all are now adults. I noticed not too long ago hat one of the youngest daughters goes to a state university, wears very non fundie approved clothing and drinks. So that nice. I'm always happy for the fundie kids that do their own thing. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VBOY9977
22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That's Lauren's parents speaking as well correct? I'm guessing Siren may attend since their parents will be there too. 

Yes they are speaking. I’m almost certain they’ll go.

I wonder about Joy and Austin though. They have family camp, but it’s the weekend before the conference, so was thinking it could be too much for a family with a little baby. But I bet they will show up any way

 

 in other news, the iblp released the schedule:

https://issuu.com/iblp/docs/big_sandy_schedule_web_f641d443829050/1?ff=true&e=6576605/60199006

I noticed their compound is pretty big... who let these religious nuts build such a big venue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiversR4hunting

Wait and then there is another conference at Northwoods in June & August. How can all these families afford to travel so much? And where have they hidden Bill Gothard and his brother? I wonder if Bill and his brother will show up but everyone under strict orders not to take a picture of him/them.

June's conference is a photo gallery of lawsuits or the accused:  https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/northwoods/  speakers: Larry Guthrie, Gary Fraley, Jobe Martin, Gabriel Cleator (what is he like 12? And what life experiences is he sharing? And his talk "What is a disciple?", what will that be, just regurgitating the ATI manuals?) Bates, Duggars, Bob Newhouse*, Pecan Thief (David Waller), & Tim Levendusky.

August is lite in the speaker arena: Keith & Jenny Daniel, Jerry Benjamin, Otto Koning, the Bates, Tim Levendusky, Gabriel Cleator, and the pecan thief himself. Info here: https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/northwoods-august/

And if that isn't enough you could go to Sacramento in July! (sounds refreshing has the fires of :angry-fire:) https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/sacramento-2/ This one only has the Duggars, Bates, Jobe Martin, Gabriel Cleator, David Waller & Tim Levendusky.

*I first read Bob Newhouse as Bob Newhart. I would love to hear Bob Newhart give commentary on these conferences. I also just found out that he was born in Oak Park, IL and he was raised Catholic (all schooling was Catholic including his BS at Loyola) and is still a practicing Catholic. This convinces me more that I would PAY money to have him give commentary about the family conferences!

6 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Did anyone notice there is a "single parent" luncheon on Tuesday, for nearly 2 hours? Is this so they can mingle and meet the new helpmeet/master?

Also on Thursday there is a "singles' session" from 2-5pm. "Single with a purpose" why don't they just call it "Christian mingle in person"? And if it is truly "single with a purpose" will the Maxwell daughters & Arndt boys run the session? (I realize Arndt isn't ATI but pay no mind to that little detail.)

  • Upvote 19
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tired
Palimpsest
1 hour ago, DillyDally said:

This may be wishful thinking (and I have no logical arguments/evidence to support this), but I don't think Jinger and Jeremy will attend. I just don't see Jeremy at this kind of event... don't know how to describe it.

It doesn't quite seem his cup of tea, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went just to meet up with her family and other friends.  It's not as though he doesn't know what their beliefs are by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite
2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Wasn't it last year they posted on Instagram they were in Niagara Falls?  

Yes, last year they implied they were at Niagara Falls when they were really at Big Sandy.  

 

34 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

who let these religious nuts build such a big venue?

They are white Christians! Clearly building a compound and starting an army is totally innocent. :roll: If any other religion had something like this the Fox News Evangelicals would be freaking out.

 

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I'm surprised the Maxwells aren't the guest speakers for "Being Ready For Death"(AKA Where Will You Go When You DIE!).

Weren't the Maxwell's speakers at last year's event? I wonder what happened that caused them to not come back. Did IBLP hate them or did they hate IBLP?

33 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Did anyone notice there is a "single parent" luncheon on Tuesday, for nearly 2 hours? Is this so they can mingle and meet the new helpmeet/master?

If I remember correctly, last time I read the ATI application they accepted single parents, but had strict rules about it. I bet part of it is reminding single parents to obey all the rules. No dating for them!

35 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

And where have they hidden Bill Gothard and his brother? I wonder if Bill and his brother will show up but everyone under strict orders not to take a picture of him/them.

Gil and the rest of the board stabbed Gothard in the back, took over the cult he built and there are massive amounts of hard feelings. He tried to start a new cult, but it didn't seem to work out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tired
Palimpsest
31 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I noticed their compound is pretty big... who let these religious nuts build such a big venue?

It was incremental.  The Worldwide Church of God (WCG) (another cult) started out with a few acres in the 1950s.  Then they started buying more and more land and built Ambassador College.  When that all collapsed in the 1990s, the Green Family Trust (Hobby Lobby) bought the campus and land.  

The Green family then leased it to IBLP for ALERT and the Family Conference.  IDK whether IBLP now owns the property though.

35 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

And where have they hidden Bill Gothard and his brother? I wonder if Bill and his brother will show up but everyone under strict orders not to take a picture of him/them.

Yes, Bill Gothard was ousted with prejudice by the current board.  He won't show his face.

Which brother - David or Steve?  Steve was cast out for sexual abuse back in the 1980s and David is another charmer.  He was last seen stealing from the elderly:

 https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/01/14/bill-gothards-brother-accused-of-racketeering-stealing-millions-from-the-elderly/ 

Charming family.  Really.

  • Upvote 16
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiversR4hunting
13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Gil and the rest of the board stabbed Gothard in the back, took over the cult he built and there are massive amounts of hard feelings. He tried to start a new cult, but it didn't seem to work out. 

 

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, Bill Gothard was ousted with prejudice by the current board.  He won't show his face.

Which brother - David or Steve?  Steve was cast out for sexual abuse back in the 1980s and David is another charmer.  He was last seen stealing from the elderly:

 https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/01/14/bill-gothards-brother-accused-of-racketeering-stealing-millions-from-the-elderly/ 

Charming family.  Really.

I knew Bill was ousted but I figured they still let him come because they really don't believe all the accusations. I also didn't know Bill tried to start a new cult. I missed that part!

As for which brothers, both, I knew they were both sleaze balls. But being accused of sexual abuse and any other crime doesn't stop the ATI/IBLP from forgiving the accused and blaming the victims <cough> josh <cough> so I always assumed the brothers were still around just in the back ground.

Palimpsest, you said it perfectly, charming family. Just like so many others in their cult. birds of a feather flock together...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite
26 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

hey really don't believe all the accusations.

I think it is not really that they don't believe, it is that they don't care. Dr. Paine is the one who allegedly treated a victim of Gothard's with a granola bar. Gothard was a thorn in their side and he wasn't going to let them take the cult in a new shiny direction. As long as  he was around they could never shed the reputation of overt sexual abuse because he refused to change his ways. 

Gothard got hold of an IBLP mailing list and tried to rope members into his new scam but it didn't work. He was trying to sell a new conference, but I can't remember the details. He has a website where he sells booklets that are basically the same stuff IBLP sells. His about me section completely leaves off IBLP/ATI

This is the first picture I've found on instagram about this year's conference. His dad is the insane Alfred Corduan who is Gothard's most die hard fan. He started a one man campaign to smear the women who spoke out against Gothard/IBLP

Spoiler

 

 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HereticHick

Big Sandy hosted a "church security" seminar last week. I'm sure the solution to church security is more guns for errrbody!

 

https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/speaker-urges-preparedness-in-church-security-training-seminar/article_5b93ab26-3f52-11e8-8bb2-6fff4d373c61.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite
Quote

“(An ununiformed) presence allows personnel to observe potentially suspicious activity without being observed

Knowing that someone with a gun is watching people to see if they act in any way that the person views as strange is the best way to get into the spirit of worshiping God. :roll:

  • Upvote 15
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
punkiepie
3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Wait and then there is another conference at Northwoods in June & August. How can all these families afford to travel so much? And where have they hidden Bill Gothard and his brother? I wonder if Bill and his brother will show up but everyone under strict orders not to take a picture of him/them.

June's conference is a photo gallery of lawsuits or the accused:  https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/northwoods/  speakers: Larry Guthrie, Gary Fraley, Jobe Martin, Gabriel Cleator (what is he like 12? And what life experiences is he sharing? And his talk "What is a disciple?", what will that be, just regurgitating the ATI manuals?) Bates, Duggars, Bob Newhouse*, Pecan Thief (David Waller), & Tim Levendusky.

August is lite in the speaker arena: Keith & Jenny Daniel, Jerry Benjamin, Otto Koning, the Bates, Tim Levendusky, Gabriel Cleator, and the pecan thief himself. Info here: https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/northwoods-august/

And if that isn't enough you could go to Sacramento in July! (sounds refreshing has the fires of :angry-fire:) https://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/sacramento-2/ This one only has the Duggars, Bates, Jobe Martin, Gabriel Cleator, David Waller & Tim Levendusky.

*I first read Bob Newhouse as Bob Newhart. I would love to hear Bob Newhart give commentary on these conferences. I also just found out that he was born in Oak Park, IL and he was raised Catholic (all schooling was Catholic including his BS at Loyola) and is still a practicing Catholic. This convinces me more that I would PAY money to have him give commentary about the family conferences!

Did anyone notice there is a "single parent" luncheon on Tuesday, for nearly 2 hours? Is this so they can mingle and meet the new helpmeet/master?

Also on Thursday there is a "singles' session" from 2-5pm. "Single with a purpose" why don't they just call it "Christian mingle in person"? And if it is truly "single with a purpose" will the Maxwell daughters & Arndt boys run the session? (I realize Arndt isn't ATI but pay no mind to that little detail.)

The single parent luncheon will probably be filled with mostly widows/widowers. There is hardly any wiggle room in the IBLP for remarriage after a divorce, especially for the women. If this were a VF conference, it would probably have more divorced people because they were a bit more lenient in said area- you know, Calvinism and their acknowledged depravity and all of that. 

My first thought about an IBLP single parent luncheon with divorced persons, all I could hear in my head was Michelle Duggar saying in that sing-songy voice, “you can look, but you can touch!!” 

  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
formergothardite

Even though I have attended them before, I would like to go again as an adult just to see it all with new eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiversR4hunting
1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

TRUE CONFESSION:  I have really always wanted to attend this conference. Like a social experiment, but with an invisibility cloak and xanax. 

sorrynotsorry

I would attend but they would totally know I'm not one of them. I've never had an ounce of fundie in me and I'm Catholic so I would stick out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sad
mango_fandango

Isn’t that photo of Boob and Meechelle from when Meechelle was expecting Josie? There was a photo of Boob n Chelle with Turd and a pregnant Anna. 

This photo to be exact:

Spoiler

89C12D22-07AC-4FE2-85AD-1B95B8E140A3.jpeg.9c227b6a5f436a8d30b89277ffa5aed6.jpeg

(under spoiler as it features turd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.