IGNORED

Canadian hockey team in fatal crash

Shadoewolf

This is heartbreaking. 

Here is a CBC link with much more -- all of it unbearably sad.

My condolences to all affected by this tragedy, but especially their families and friends.

It's an almost inconceivable tragedy. It happened far away from where I live, so unsurprisingly I don't know anyone affected, but it still hits close to home. Hockey is such an integral part of life for so many people here. Even if you don't play it yourself, you know other people who do. Most of the boys I went to school with played travel hockey and some moved on to junior teams. And for this to happen to such a small town is just that much more horrendous.

Sad day in Canada today. The whole country is shaken by this....Canada covers a big land mass but in many way this country feels like small close knit community and this loss is a big one and as a nation we are so sad. On the world stage I think this is hitting hard for all kinds of people...parents, coaches, the hockey community etc...it is a nightmare come true. 

Absolutely devastated to hear this. These tight communities will feel the loss deeply - these young people have already impacted so many others. I hope that their local community, and the hockey community in general will rally round them at this awful time 

Horrible news, I recently watched a documentary on the Busby Bates,  the Manchester United team who lost most of their players in a plane crash at Munich Airport in 1958, they like those who died in todays crash had a bright future and many believe would have became the first British team to win the European Cup.

Thoughts with all the families of those involved.

The thing is that the family and friends of this team are from all over Canada...and there are survivors  in hospital... The count is now 15.  My mom has been following the story, she has been telling me of stories of how people are helping. A lot of people in the area are giving their homes over as places where family members can stay. She told me one couple was out of town and were just offering up the keys to their house. Apparently, there is a car rental company(or something) that has promised plane tickets for family that have to get out there (I would hope and imagine the airlines would help with this also). One woman started a gofundme as soon as she heard and it had reached 1 million last I heard.  Also, other towns that have gone through similar tragedies are reaching out....how do you deal with this...how do you heal as individuals...as a community? This is a time for support, and I hope these people get all  the support they need and continue to get it. This is so awful....those families are not alone in this though. Nobody going through something like this should have to worry about plane tickets and living accommodations and all that during such a time.  A long road is ahead. 

Side note: My mom's last comment on the subject tonight was when she was scrolling her facebook feed, she saw somebody had posted a comment condemning news outlets for sharing pics of the crash site, that they should have more considerations for the friends and family.....and she shared the pic she was complaining about along with her comment on social media therefore spreading it even more. .(?)  Mom was confused...I was like, I don't get it either...a lot of times people don't think with their heads on social media they just post. 

This is beyond horrific. The team doesn’t live far from where I live; our hockey team was set to play theirs next week. I worked in radio for a number of years and knew the play by play announcer that was killed, as he worked for a sister station. Our hearts are absolutely broken. 

I’m so sorry @viii. It’s awful enough from a distance. I can’t imagine your pain and shock. Sending hugs across the Atlantic to you. 

So sorry @viii

.... I just had a bit of a spontaneous cry when I read your post. Canada is a small place, no? Anyway, again, so sorry. Here for you if you need it.

We're wearing green in support today.  Our town is also small, and a hockey town.  Such a sad occurrence.

Very sad time for all.  We all have put our children on the bus for one thing or another.  Healing is going to take years.  So much suffering.  Love to all especially moms and dads, nanas, grandpas and siblings.  Canada is big country with a small town heart.

For one family, things got much worse.  The coroner’s office revealed yesterday that one of the deceased players was misidentified.  So a family who thought their son had survived discovered that he didn’t. I don’t know the details but the image I can’t seem to get rid of is the boy’s parents rushing to see him, only to realize that the person in the hospital bed was not their son.  I hope beyond hope that that is not how the mistake was discovered.

The other family received much better news.  I read an Instagram post on Saturday morning by this player’s brother, saying goodbye, as they had been told that he had died.  I can’t imagine how they are feeling either.

As a Canadian (former) hockey mum, I will not forget this any time soon. 

My condolences to the families, friends, and fans of the team. 

This article made my eyes leak.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sticks-condolences-support-humboldt-hockey-players-play-social-media-235520487.html

One way that many have helped is by giving money for the bereaved families. A hockey mom in Saskatchewan set up a GoFundMe that has already raised more than $6 million. The donations have come in constantly over the weekend: $10, $25, $100.

Then there are the more symbolic shows of support, like one shared by a Winnipeg broadcaster and Humboldt native named Brian Munz. He received a text from a friend who decided he would leave a hockey stick outside his house because “The boys might need it … wherever they are.”

I love the idea of the "sticks out" (on the porch) tribute. I don't have a stick, but I did wear my (University) Hockey shirt in support today.

Tomorrow is "Jersey Day", at my daughter's school (and schools across Canada). All the kids are wearing hockey Jerseys, or green/yellow, to show support. My daughter is only 5, and we aren't a hockey family, so she will be wearing a yellow shirt. I still haven't figured out how to explain it to her yet. 

Sixteenth victim dies

Dayna Brons, the athletic therapist for the Humboldt Broncos, has died of her injuries, according to the Saskatchewan Health Authority.

The health authority issued a statement Wednesday on behalf of her family.

“Dayna passed away peacefully this afternoon as a result of her injuries. She was surrounded by those she loved and those who loved her,” the statement reads.

“Dayna will be forever remembered for her joyful smile, and her passion and love of sport.”

Brons was “extremely proud to be part of the Broncos family,” according to her family.

The statement thanks first responders, emergency staff, “all those who have cared for Dayna over these last few days for their support” and “everyone across Saskatchewan and Canada for their love and prayers during this very difficult time.”

The family has asked for privacy and is “also requesting everyone using social media networks to respect their privacy as well.”

Brons studied kinesiology and human kinetics at the University of Regina and athletic therapy at Mount Royal University.

Canadian hockey family here.  This has hit hard. Hockey is such a part of the Canadian fabric of life, particularly in smaller communities.  Hockey arenas and hockey games unite communities. Those feel good commercials of sipping a hot Timmies on a cold morning in the rink are the stuff of life here. 

I heard the "breaking news" on my way home from a junior hockey game friday.  I had put my 17 year-old son on a bus that morning for a trip (not hockey related, but still).  I have three boys, all between the ages of 17 and 21 - the ages of the boys involved in the crash.  I was at a junior hockey game sunday when a tribute and moment of silence was honoured.  It was very emotional.  I keep thinking of the families. Of the survivors.  Of the first responders.  I cannot imagine what they are going through and there is this sense of wishing we could do more but knowing we can't.  Like many front porches across the country we have hockey sticks lined up next to the door.

We live in a university, hockey playing town (what Canadian town isn't hockey playing!) and my eldest son  is in fourth year undergrad.  He lives with 7 other young men a block from campus.  All play hockey.   I was dropping something off at the house and noted that not only do they have hockey sticks lined up outside the front door, they each have a hockey stick outside of every one of their bedroom  doors.  

This is such an unbearable tragedy. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this. 

My sister once lived about a half hour away from where the accident happened, and my brother once lived in Prince Albert. And hockey is big in our family, it is hitting home for sure. I made a donation to the GoFundMe campaign, hockey sticks are out, and my family is sending our love to the people affected. 

I'm so very Sorry @viii

On 4/9/2018 at 1:17 PM, Fascinated said:

For one family, things got much worse.  The coroner’s office revealed yesterday that one of the deceased players was misidentified.  So a family who thought their son had survived discovered that he didn’t. I don’t know the details but the image I can’t seem to get rid of is the boy’s parents rushing to see him, only to realize that the person in the hospital bed was not their son.  I hope beyond hope that that is not how the mistake was discovered.

The other family received much better news.  I read an Instagram post on Saturday morning by this player’s brother, saying goodbye, as they had been told that he had died.  I can’t imagine how they are feeling either.

As a Canadian (former) hockey mum, I will not forget this any time soon. 

The other family must be in such a difficult place. Happy because their son survivied, but hurting for the family who found out in such a hard way that their son did not. Pain on top of pain.

Just...wow.  I don’t know who to credit for this but it is brilliant and moving.

2C25B7FC-900F-40FC-9C02-68C21E03E438.jpeg.9d02fad682bd3d2871c383efcab10a02.jpeg

I'm so sorry @viii.

This tragedy has been on my mind on and off ever since it happened. Parker Tobin, the boy who was mixed up with Xavier LaBelle, had connections to the rather small area that I grew up in. It seems that no matter where you turn, people have a connection.

I have my green on today.

Archived