IGNORED

Wendy Watson Nelson Book: Not even Once Club

Soulhuntress

This is just wrong.   Not Even Once Club is about perfect children who never ever break a commandment.  This is the wife of the new LDS Prophet writing this crap.  Way to put excessive guilt on the kidlets.  This woman is a family therapist?  Lawd have mercy!

NotEvenOnceClub.jpg

Right, because children are born perfect.  And stay that way.  I guess they skip right over the Terrible Twos in her family!

Looks like her husband just became church president (and is also 26 years older than her) so I think a lot of LDS folks will read this book to their children. How sad. 

I'm also seeing that this woman doesn't have any children besides grown stepchildren. That kind of tells me a lot about this book. I am not surprised the author of this book has never raised children. 

Perfect kids who do no wrong?  Sounds like this author is the Sarah Maxwell of the LDS world.

Makes me think of the story of the rich young ruler in Mark 10. Essentially he asks Jesus what he needs to do to have eternal life and Jesus says “keep the commandments” and the ruler is all like “yeah I’ve done that my whole life.”l So Jesus says “sell everything, give the money to the poor, and follow me,” and the ruler is like “nope.”

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Looks like her husband just became church president (and is also 26 years older than her)

Ooooh, is there a story here?  Was the prophet a widower when they met?

Ick on the premise of the book, and the illustration style doesn't appeal. 

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Ooooh, is there a story here?  Was the prophet a widower when they met?

Ick on the premise of the book, and the illustration style doesn't appeal. 

It looks like his wife died unexpectantly in 2005 and he remarried in 2006. They had 10 grown kids together. I don't think Wendy was ever married before that. Her husband is in his early 90s now.

A couple of years ago, I heard an ex-Mormon podcast on this book (either Mormon Expositor or Mormon Expression, neither of which is being made anymore, but the archives are still available). As I recall, the main criticism was that the book instilled a hyper purity code that could be psychologically damaging to children if they make a minor mistake. From my perspective, it’s also problematic that they put drinking tea, drinking alcohol, and taking illegal drugs as being one and the same. If nothing else, this book illustrates the sort of damaging attitudes that made Elizabeth Smart feel like she didn’t deserve to be rescued after being kidnapped and raped.

Archived