IGNORED

"Cat Person" in New Yorker

NakedKnees

Has anyone read the New Yorker short story that went viral over the weekend?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/11/cat-person

It's a good story, and the backlashes to backlashes ad infinitum over it have been fascinated. I'm pretty fascinated by how rare it is for a piece of fiction to go viral, but as a short story lover, I hope it happens more!

I love that people across the country are discussing a piece in the New Yorker. I would love for more people to read high quality fiction & non-fiction from serious publications. (As opposed to the relentless viral "which type of bread are you" pieces. Not that there isn't also a place for writing the top 10 moments in Kardashian history and choosing which breed of dog you'd be.) 

The story was just OK to me. There were parts that rung true to me, and things that I don't identify with at all - which is fine. The narrator is quite a bit younger than I am, and didn't have the same repressed background, despite living in the same area/attending the same school. Robert, on the other hand, is someone that most women know, of multiple generations. Gross. 

I haven't actually seen any backlash, nor did it go viral in my network, but I've seen it referenced here and on a few other women's sites. 

Archived