IGNORED

Ohio's newly-propsed abortion law

FlamingFundie

Wasn't sure where to put this....

http://nbc4i.com/2016/12/06/ohio-senate-passes-heartbeat-bill/

Ohio lawmakers have attached an anti-abortion law onto a child abuse law that is making its rounds. It basically prevents an abortion in Ohio if there is a fetal heartbeat (can be as early as 6 weeks, which can sometimes be before a woman even knows she is pregnant). The keys here are that RAPE AND INCEST-induced pregnancies are also BANNED. The only exception is if the mother's life is actually in danger.

Let me also draw your attention to this article ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kris-jordan-domestic-violence_us_584820ece4b0b9feb0da6031?section=women& ), in which the man who is pushing this bill forward was investigated for domestic violence against his wife, and proceeded to tell the officers that:

“She got a little upset,” Jordan said in a conversation recorded by a dashboard camera on the police cruiser. “Girls do that.”

The attack on women's rights is terrifying. This is all about punishing women, not protecting lives. Women are disposable objects to the "pro-life" lobby. 

1 minute ago, Screamapillar said:

What are women supposed to do under this law if they suffer an ectopic pregnancy at 7 weeks? Die?

When the life of the mother is in danger, it is allowable. I would assume this include ectopic pregnancies since they are life-threatening.

This is just the first of many we're such attempts at these kinds of laws we're going to see. It may get to a point where we need an Underground Railroad type network for women seeking an abortion.

I live in Ohio and I am disgusted. I hope it gets struck down by the Supreme Court (if it becomes a law) but with the way the government is going, I don't have much hope. When will these lawmakers realize that women can decide what they want for their own bodies?? I read in an article the other day where a lady supporting the bill said "it will protect all of our citizens". Fetuses aren't citizens. Supporters are saying they think that the Supreme Court won't strike it down once Trump is in office. 

Yes, mstee, us Ohioans are going to be on the edge of our seats with this one. Half my friends say Kasich doesn't want a law like this on his record while the other half say he will pass it because he is also anti-abortion (not sure how accurate that is).

1 hour ago, Crocoduck said:

This is just the first of many we're such attempts at these kinds of laws we're going to see. It may get to a point where we need an Underground Railroad type network for women seeking an abortion.

My grandfather helped out with something like that pre-Roe v. Wade. So  creating a system to help women access abortions when law makers are mysoginst dickheads isn't unheard of.

Reading this makes me sick to my stomach.

If this law gets passed, (while I get this is not practical) will those in need be able to go to other states and get abortions?

We need a world where everyone has safe access to healthcare and treatment.

My reaction to someone tacking anti-abortion crap (and this is total anti-woman crap) onto Child Abuse legislation is FUCK THAT! A MILLION times!

Not sorry for shouting and swearing.

This kind of chip, chip, chipping away at Roe v. Wade has been going on for years. I wonder what the tipping point will be before young women open their eyes and say, "Wait. What?". Many of us old women fought the good fight the first time around. Many will continue to fight but others like me, who are gravely Ill, just can't do it anymore.

4 hours ago, FlamingFundie said:

When the life of the mother is in danger, it is allowable. I would assume this include ectopic pregnancies since they are life-threatening.

I'm not so sure. I suspect that they will start chipping away at what defines life-threatening pregnancies too. Websites like LifeNews already imply that abortions aren't necessary for ectopic pregnancy. They also claim that things like treating cancer shouldn't be a reason for abortion. 

There was a program in Chicago to perform menstrual extractions on women in the days before Roe.  Setting a similar program up was considered maybe in the late 80s maybe?  And I see that some women's groups are teaching it now.

Menstrual extraction

4 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My grandfather helped out with something like that pre-Roe v. Wade. So  creating a system to help women access abortions when law makers are mysoginst dickheads isn't unheard of.

Your grandfather was awesome. 

@Hummingbird, believe me, some of us have our eyes open.  (Well, maybe I don't count as young anymore, because I'm 37, but still...) Sadly, I don't think people will realize it until they finally manage to knock Roe down... and then come after birth control.  Or people start realizing it when it's a case that affects someone they know. 

10 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not so sure. I suspect that they will start chipping away at what defines life-threatening pregnancies too. Websites like LifeNews already imply that abortions aren't necessary for ectopic pregnancy. They also claim that things like treating cancer shouldn't be a reason for abortion. 

Fuck them!  I had an abortion for an ectopic pregnancy.  Was I just supposed to sit around and let myself bleed to death?   Was I supposed to wait until it destroyed my ability to have any more kids (it was my first pregnancy)?  I'm sure my husband would have loved being a widow.  I'm sure my children are devastated at having the opportunity to exist.  Jesus.  Some Christians are just idiots.

Trust me, the younger generation has it's eyes wide open. However, its our responsibility to give them the tools they need to carry on this fight.

20 hours ago, FlamingFundie said:

Not necessarily. According to accounts from various fundies there have been cases where an ectopic pregnancy has miraculously moved into the uterus. Exactly how that would work I don't know because I thought the very definition of ectopic pregnancy is that the embryo has attached itself to a location outside of the uterus. In any case if it turns out to be God's will that you die, then you die.

18 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

According to accounts from various fundies there have been cases where an ectopic pregnancy has miraculously moved into the uterus.

This just doesn't seem medically sound to me at all.  I also cannot find anything in medical literature which refers to this ever happening, except when the pregnancy wasn't actually an extrauterine one, but was a misdx.  That being said, however, I am far from any kind of a medical professional, and only briefly googled the topic.  I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows better than I do.

2 minutes ago, vspielman said:

This just doesn't seem medically sound to me at all.  I also cannot find anything in medical literature which refers to this ever happening, except when the pregnancy wasn't actually an extrauterine one, but was a misdx.  That being said, however, I am far from any kind of a medical professional, and only briefly googled the topic.  I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows better than I do.

It isn't medically sound and there is nothing more to know than that the pro-life movement lies constantly to push their anti-woman agenda. I was involved for years with pro-life groups and it was quite a shock to discover how many blatant lies I had been told and believed. Pretty much everything I knew about abortion was wrong. 

19 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Many blessings upon him. If he is still around (not sure how to say that delicately!) it's worth asking him how this was done. We might have to use the lessons of the past soon.

So, when do these anti abortion activists that pushed for passage of this law plan to reopen the homes for unwed mothers, especially for the teens who have been kicked out of their home?

Oh wait, they probably won't.

If they do, though, I think there needs to be regulations about these homes. They need to be built to the same guidelines as an outpatient surgery center. They also need to have a doctor on the premises 24/7 who earned a medical degree from a tier 1 (most Ivy League, but not all) or tier 2 medical school, according to national rankings, who has admitting privileges to at least one public hospital and one private hospital. They also must have ob/gyn nurses, using the same regulations as hospitals must adhere to.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

It isn't medically sound and there is nothing more to know than that the pro-life movement lies constantly to push their anti-woman agenda. I was involved for years with pro-life groups and it was quite a shock to discover how many blatant lies I had been told and believed. Pretty much everything I knew about abortion was wrong. 

There are cases where a woman with an ectopic pregnancy was able to carry the pregnancy to term, but it's quite rare, and knowingly proceeding with such a pregnancy puts the woman's life at risk.

Against all odds, baby Durga survived despite developing in her mother's ovary instead of her uterus.

Her mother Meera Thangarajah, 34, had shown no signs of abnormality and doctors only realised when they performed a Caesarean section.

Most ectopic pregnancies end in miscarriage or are terminated early because of the risk to the mother.

With an ectopic pregnancy, the embryo can rupture the fallopian tube, leading to massive internal bleeding - and possibly death - for the mother.

Just 1-2% of all pregnancies are ectopic, and in 95% of those cases the egg is fertilised in the fallopian tubes on its way to the uterus.

In 0.5% of cases, including this one, the baby grows inside the ovary itself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7427907.stm

Chriiiiiiiiiiiist. What a fucked up situation. The religious right has waaaaayyyyyyyy too much power. Makes me glad I live in a country where religion barely plays a part in law making. 

5 hours ago, vspielman said:

According to accounts from various fundies there have been cases where an ectopic pregnancy has miraculously moved into the uterus.

Oh, I am positive it would be a misdx, not an actual ectopic pregnancy if, in fact, it has ever happened. However, a quick search shows that no less a Medical Authority than one of our favorite mommy bloggers has researched the issue extensively and found eight documented instances of ectopic pregnancy where the mother and baby both lived to tell about it. Contrast that with the 25-50 women who die each year from untreated ectopic pregnancies and, well, you'd have to be Kim to see the logic in her argument. 

Archived