IGNORED

Oh...my...Balls. Purity Balls

Kitty

No, it's nothing to do with the infamous Schweddy Balls. It's purity balls I'm talking about.

I looked up purity balls to see what one would be like, since they're a semi-significant part of the story I'm writing. And it's creepy as fuck.

Here's the creepiest of the creepy I found: goldenislespurityball.com/ It's been hacked, don't go there.

In one of the pictures on the slideshow, there is a VERY young girl in a white dress, held by a man in a military uniform. Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. What the hell is that girl doing there? And why is she in the very front of the picture!?!??!

I looked through the dresses available for rent. Not very modest. Tsk tsk, I thought Golden Isles was trying to STOP the sexualization of young girls? Most are regular prom dresses. There was a kids' size 10 there though. A dress made for 10 year olds. iiiiiiiiiiiiick. :puke:

Speaking of the sexualization of young girls, I found this gem under the "Why" tab:

We live in a sex-saturated culture. As a result, today's teens face temptations and pressures to engage in premarital sex.

So in response, let's make a mock-prom for girls as young as NINE YEARS OLD that's ALL ABOUT SEX, so we can stop them from having sex because now Daddy is involved! :puke:

Does anyone else find the use of "daddy" on that page creepy?

"Enjoy a date night with your daughter for only $40!"

How a sentence like that got on the website without anyone's common sense kicking in is utterly beyond me.

It's just creepy. I'm not against father-daughter dances, but to make them about virginity... ewwwww. Every single dad I saw on that site is creepy.

So, fundies have a spaz attack when schools teach sex-ed and don't like it when parents have a "sex talk" to their children at a young age, blah blah blah, but they're perfectly okay with throwing a LAVISH father/daughter ball in which the daughters promise their daddys that they won't have sexy time until marriage? Someone, please, explain to me how that works? A sex talk just isn't enough, so they have to go out of their, put sex front and in center, throw a huge ball and wear a purity ring to show their promise? Does a purity ring and a purity ball have magical powers in which fundie fairies show up, sprinkle fairy dust, and now all the girls will remain pure til marriage?

Secondly, um, I'm sorry, but I would not feel comfortable standing there and realizing that everyone at the ball will be aware of my purity.

So, fundies have a spaz attack when schools teach sex-ed and don't like it when parents have a "sex talk" to their children at a young age, blah blah blah, but they're perfectly okay with throwing a LAVISH father/daughter ball in which the daughters promise their daddys that they won't have sexy time until marriage? Someone, please, explain to me how that works? A sex talk just isn't enough, so they have to go out of their, put sex front and in center, throw a huge ball and wear a purity ring to show their promise? Does a purity ring and a purity ball have magical powers in which fundie fairies show up, sprinkle fairy dust, and now all the girls will remain pure til marriage?

Secondly, um, I'm sorry, but I would not feel comfortable standing there and realizing that everyone at the ball will be aware of my purity.

And I imagine that when the girls violate the purity pledge, they wind up publicly humiliated. It's all so public. That's just... ew. eeeewwwww. How do they think this is okay?

yes! i find everything on that page creepy!

especially the way the fathers are looking at their daughters. its GROSS.

We live in a sex saturated culture - ok, that's true. why then would you dress up and go dancing with your daddy? I dunno. it doesn't seem right to me, at all.

yes! i find everything on that page creepy!

especially the way the fathers are looking at their daughters. its GROSS.

We live in a sex saturated culture - ok, that's true. why then would you dress up and go dancing with your daddy? I dunno. it doesn't seem right to me, at all.

They want to replace our sex-saturated culture with their own sex-saturated culture. WTF.

The dress rental had a lavender dress youth size 6 (which is approximately a kindergartener's size). I'm shaking my head at the idea of this... I imagine the dress was meant to be a flower girl outfit originally... So sad.

It occurs to me that the entire premise of the ball is to avoid sex being an issue that the fathers have to deal with. That being the case, and given the presence of young children nine and upwards, I suspect that they don't mention sex at all except through euphemisms, which rather renders the whole exercise pointless.

"You slept with your boyfriend? But you promised me at the ball five years ago that you wouldn't!"

"No, dad...I promised that I would 'guard my heart', 'maintain my purity', 'cherish my girlhood', and 'stand fast against the world'. 'Not having sex' never even came up."

I can't seem to separate my own experience from this kind of stuff. All of this emphasis on father/daughter bonding is just so cruel to those girls who don't have strong father's in their life. As a person who still struggles with growing up in a conservative place, with a disabled father, it just reminds me of how cruel the culture is to everyone who is even a tiny bit different. No brothers and sisters? Too bad. You can't play with my kids because Oh, you aren't bringing your dad to the father/daughter camp out? Why not? (because he's in the hospital.) Oh, that's too bad. We'll pray for you while we camp. You go be with your dad. But he said I could go! He's always in the hospital, he won't die, I promise. "No no, this is for fathers and daughters." Ugh.

My dad took me to baseball games and football games and drove me to school once a week until he got sick. That was an appropriate level of bonding, as we got to know each other, and I never had to talk about sex with him. Ever.

Did you notice the page about cost? It says $40 per couple. For a second, I thought, "The moms are there too?"

...and then I realized what "Couple" meant.

Ew, ew, ew.

A friend once took a purity vow at her church, and when my dad and I were talking about it, he said he would never let me do it, because I was just too young to understand what that meant (I was 15). Pretty awesome for a preacher.

Did you notice the page about cost? It says $40 per couple. For a second, I thought, "The moms are there too?"

...and then I realized what "Couple" meant.

Ew, ew, ew.

A friend once took a purity vow at her church, and when my dad and I were talking about it, he said he would never let me do it, because I was just too young to understand what that meant (I was 15). Pretty awesome for a preacher.

It's $15 for "additional daughters." Eeeewwww wtf. What if there's a huge age difference? The ball is for girls 9 and up (I love how they say "single girls 9 and up" WTF?!?) but what if one girl is 15 and the other 5? The FAQs even said to bring along other daughters to be "honored."

:shock:

(1) If there's going to be a prom for 9-year-olds (I can't imagine my 9-year-old self being remotely interested, but okay) it should be ONLY with other 9-year-olds. Not adults. No. Hell no.

(2) "Purity Balls" needs to be a new ice cream flavor there next to the Schweddy. At the very least, I hear Photoshop calling...

Guest Anonymous
"Purity Balls" needs to be a new ice cream flavor there next to the Schweddy. At the very least, I hear Photoshop calling...

What would "Purity Balls" ice cream taste like? I submit it would be pure white vanilla with no bean specks, and red raspberry candy balls with liquid centers to represent intact hymens.

The size Youth 7 RED halter dress was really super sexy. :shock:

And why are some of the dresses strapless?? What happened about drawing eyes to one's countenance?

Ewww - those things just look awful. I think it's more of a fundie-lite thing to do, actually. Most fundies I know have weird attitudes about sex, but they tend not to go into this direction of weirdness.

What would "Purity Balls" ice cream taste like? I submit it would be pure white vanilla with no bean specks, and red raspberry candy balls with liquid centers to represent intact hymens.

Pure white frozen ice cream balls, covered with a candy shell. It's not to be eaten, and removal of the shell outside of the freezer means that pieces of the ice cream would be missing and not available to it's future partner - a bottle of chocolate syrup.

It's $15 for "additional daughters." Eeeewwww wtf. What if there's a huge age difference? The ball is for girls 9 and up (I love how they say "single girls 9 and up" WTF?!?) but what if one girl is 15 and the other 5? The FAQs even said to bring along other daughters to be "honored."

:shock:

I noticed that "single girls 9 and up" and thought it meant not to bring your 9 year old married daughter. Does it mean one daughter per ball? What if they're twins?

I literally shuddered looking at those pics. Some of them holding the daughters in such an intimate embrace just....gaaaahhhhh. My daughter's sexuality will be her business and no one else's. We believe sex is sacred and not to be flaunted and shoved in people's faces.

Our community has an annual "Daddy-Daughter" dance that my husband and daughter have gone to a few times.

Usually it is a bunch of little girls getting dressed up and then going to play hokey-pokey and limbo and "hit the balloons around the room while screaming" with their friends while the fathers sit at the tables and talk awkwardly to each other about sports.

I'm just fine with this. Having it be about my daughter's future sexuality? HELL NO.

The size Youth 7 RED halter dress was really super sexy. :shock:

And why are some of the dresses strapless?? What happened about drawing eyes to one's countenance?

How can you hold up a strapless dress without at least some semblance of boobage? :think:

The dress rental had a lavender dress youth size 6 (which is approximately a kindergartener's size). I'm shaking my head at the idea of this... I imagine the dress was meant to be a flower girl outfit originally... So sad.

Yeah, that really does make me sad. I can't imagine pushing that on a kid, let alone a kid so young. And they want to talk smack about the sexualization of children ...

I noticed that "single girls 9 and up" and thought it meant not to bring your 9 year old married daughter. Does it mean one daughter per ball? What if they're twins?

I think it is assumed it's going to be one daughter per ball, but they're fine with dads bringing multiple daughters to be "honored." I imagine both twins would go. But I don't doubt that even younger girls are forced to participate.

I think it is assumed it's going to be one daughter per ball, but they're fine with dads bringing multiple daughters to be "honored." I imagine both twins would go. But I don't doubt that even younger girls are forced to participate.

I imagine they would explain it in pretty simple terms... "You put on a pretty dress and get to dance like a grown-up and vow to be pure for Jesus!"

I've known at least a few fourth-grade girls who would be all over that. Poor innocent kids.

Archived