IGNORED

Abby Wambach

BlackberryGirl

Mommy blogger, noted  Christian writer  Glennon Doyle Melton is apparently in a relationship with Abby Wambach.  Many pearls are being cluched.

I didn't even know that Abby Wambach and Sarah Huffman were divorcing! That's sad.

It sounds like both Abby and Glennon are moving on pretty quickly. If they're happy then that's great, but something about these public pronouncements of love, especially so early on, rubs me the wrong way.

Not familiar with the blogger, though the site looks familiar. Either way, that's quite a drastic change (at least from the articles I'm seeing, it seems unexpected that she began a relationship with another woman?). 

16 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

If they're happy then that's great, but something about these public pronouncements of love, especially so early on, rubs me the wrong way.

Agreed. All I can think is that in this particular case, maybe she wanted to announce the relationship on her own terms, rather than risk someone else making it public? 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

It sounds like both Abby and Glennon are moving on pretty quickly. If they're happy then that's great, but something about these public pronouncements of love, especially so early on, rubs me the wrong way.

I read the first link and came over to post this same thing!  "Who knew love infatuation could happen so quickly."  Way too fast.  Rose tinted glasses and all that.  Kaley Cuoco comes to mind. 

But, as they say, the heart wants what the heart wants (a saying I happen to detest).  Wishing them happiness, because kids are involved. 

I saw bunch of stories on this on FB. I'm not familiar with the blogger, I feel for her because she's going to get ripped apart in Christian blogging circles.

58 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

I saw bunch of stories on this on FB. I'm not familiar with the blogger, I feel for her because she's going to get ripped apart in Christian blogging circles.

I wonder if Lori knows who she is. She'll have something to say, for sure. :my_confused:

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

I wonder if Lori knows who she is. She'll have something to say, for sure. :my_confused:

If this blogger has been on the less conservative Christian scale, Lori might not know who she is. Lori from what I've seen follows bloggers that are very conservative. But, in the past has sought out certain Christian bloggers or ministers to slam.

Guessing the people who wondered about another well known Christian blogger/NYT best selling author/HGTV show host/speaker Jen Hatmaker's sudden discussion about her views on gay marriage, etc. probably know one thing that's played into it. There had been a lot of speculation about both the timing and decision to be so vocal out of the blue, and she and Glennon have a long history together, so I'd imagine there have been a lot of conversations. 

Glennon's newest book has been out just barely 2 months - already has been #1 on the NYT best sellers list and is on Oprah's book club list, etc.

It'll be interesting to see if this expands sales even further because people are curious or if she'll face some of the pushback JH has.

Looking at G's SM, Abby's been 'hiding' in plain sight for some time. I wonder if people who really follow her are surprised or not. 

9 hours ago, December said:

Agreed. All I can think is that in this particular case, maybe she wanted to announce the relationship on her own terms, rather than risk someone else making it public? 

I think you could be bang on.  Here in the UK, there have been tons of examples of public figures being basically blackmailed by tabloids in that "give us your exclusive coming out/new relationship story, or we'll put up a bad one" things that mean new couples have to announce on their own terms before they would have done otherwise.

Plus there's also the thing that Glennon will face so much vitriol from some circles, and sometimes people in that situation and similar get super-defensive, and all "It's the love of my life!  After 2 weeks!!!!11!" in the face of criticism (not just LGB people, but also, eg that Mormon blogger who remarried so quickly after her first husband's death, and I've seen it IRL with people who are dating people their family don't like, for one reason or another.  It's often a response to people accusing them of doing something just for the sex, in my experience)

34 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I think you could be bang on.  Here in the UK, there have been tons of examples of public figures being basically blackmailed by tabloids in that "give us your exclusive coming out/new relationship story, or we'll put up a bad one" things that mean new couples have to announce on their own terms before they would have done otherwise.

Plus there's also the thing that Glennon will face so much vitriol from some circles, and sometimes people in that situation and similar get super-defensive, and all "It's the love of my life!  After 2 weeks!!!!11!" in the face of criticism (not just LGB people, but also, eg that Mormon blogger who remarried so quickly after her first husband's death, and I've seen it IRL with people who are dating people their family don't like, for one reason or another.  It's often a response to people accusing them of doing something just for the sex, in my experience)

Looking back at SM from both G and A, it really doesn't look like they were trying to hide it much. Heck, there are photos the week after the divorce (G and her husband) was announced that hint at it now that I look at stuff - she's not one I follow much so...

I don't know she'll get nearly as much push back as JH, for instance, did. Since G has always been 'edgier' in the Christian world.

After all, Glennon's already written openly about dealing with: an eating disorder, alcohol related stuff, abortion, marriage issues, divorce. In some ways it's not a huge shock that about the only 'big ticket' thing not covered was sexuality related.

This feels A LOT like Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) timing wise. She announced she was separating/divorcing in early July, then that she was in a relationship with another woman in early September.

There had been a lot of bloggers and people in their circles who were writing about the similarities back in July/August when both announced their separations/divorces.

Now 2 months later, again within about 4-6 weeks of one another, both not just went very public with new relationships, but both obviously came out, as well.

I guess at least the circles they all run in are pretty small and they've got a rather built in support network.

Out of curiosity, just read the Amazon reviews of  Glennon's book Love Warrior.  One person said it was so detailed and intimate that it made her feel like a voyeur and was a bit off-putting for that reason.  They also wondered if her husband was 100% on board, because it was such an intimate expose of him and their life together.  

Another person was blown away by that same level of detail, because it so perfectly dove-tailed into her own experience. 

1 hour ago, jakesykora said:

This feels A LOT like Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) timing wise. She announced she was separating/divorcing in early July, then that she was in a relationship with another woman in early September.

Elizabeth Gilbert offered a one-word endorsement for Love Warrior:  EPIC! 

There was a time in my life when I would have been all over a book like this; now I'm Investigation Discovery and murder mysteries.  That said, I might check it out (literally) from the library to see what it's all about. 

As @jakesykora noted,

Glennon's already written openly about dealing with: an eating disorder, alcohol related stuff, abortion, marriage issues, divorce. In some ways it's not a huge shock that about the only 'big ticket' thing not covered was sexuality related.

Really hoping that this new relationship is not another high.  On the other hand, she could be experiencing the euphoria of coming out and making it official. 

So, best wishes to Glennon and Amy and happily ever after.  They'll be a new power couple for sure. 

Am I allowed to complain that Glennon is consistently described by the media as a "mommy blogger," when she's actually a best-selling author with a book that was a selection of Oprah's Book Club? Someone who has sold millions and millions of books, and she keeps being reduced to merely a "mommy blogger!" How hard is it to change your title? Or is that only allowed for people who don't have and never wrote blogs?

I think the declaration of total adoration and perfection is creepy. I feel kind of bad for her kids, because they've been dragged through this whole thing with their parents, the book, divorce, and now their mom's new relationship. People who are more familiar with the soccer player than I am, when did she and her wife separate? Has this relationship actually been going on for a while?

On 11/21/2016 at 0:47 AM, desertvixen said:

Lori noticed: https://thetransformedwife.com/please-dont-fall-into-the-nebuchadnezzar-syndrome/

She classifies her as "Christian" - scare quotes are Lori's, not mine.

That really captures the essence of her brand of religion - total self-denial, total submission to those rules which they've defined as being God's One True Way

On 11/16/2016 at 11:39 AM, bea said:

Am I allowed to complain that Glennon is consistently described by the media as a "mommy blogger," when she's actually a best-selling author with a book that was a selection of Oprah's Book Club? Someone who has sold millions and millions of books, and she keeps being reduced to merely a "mommy blogger!" How hard is it to change your title? Or is that only allowed for people who don't have and never wrote blogs?

In my experience, if you write anything, anywhere, that has anything to do with parenting or family, then you get the mommy blogger label. Permanently. I was a journalist long before I ever started a personal blog. I was still called a mommy blogger, even prior to completing any actual blogging. Glennon will probably always be referred to that way, sad as that is.

I hate the term, even when it truly applies.

Archived