Cleopatra7

A documentary I was watching on Marvin Gaye mentioned that his father was a minister in the Hebrew Pentecostal church, and that many of his later problems could be traced to his desire to rebel against his upbringing, which was physically and spiritually abusive. Does anyone have any information on this denomination? There is no Wikipedia page on the movement, but from what I can tell, it combines aspects of black Pentecostalism, Sabbatarianism, and cherry-picked parts of Jewish law and ritual. I also can't find any Hebrew Pentecostal bloggers, though black fundies (and HP appears to mostly be a black phenomenon) don't seem to be that into blogging in general as far as I can tell.

ch25547

Sounds like a synonym for messianic Judaism. Another group of fundies doing god right. 

Lol. My phone autocorrects to fun dies. How fitting.

Might try Facebook groups for primary source material on them. They definitely have a Facebook presence. A friend's mom is into it. My impression is they have followings in the Carolina's and Georgia. There is a community of ethnic crypto Jews in Ethiopia, that are sometimes used as an example of how the "chosen" of Israel were originally Africans. Of course that groups is "Jewish" Jewish and not Christian "Jewish." I don't know much more than that. So I'd be fascinated to learn more.

ETA: @AnonymousguestThat's the one my friend's mother was into!

10 hours ago, raised in rebellion said:

So does mine. Gotta love smartphones.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:50 PM, raised in rebellion said:

ch25547

Sounds like a synonym for messianic Judaism. Another group of fundies doing god right. 

While some of their practices may share stuff in common with the messianics, to be there is an important difference:  they aren't pretending to be Jews.  They called their church a church, they talk openly about Jesus instead of using "Yeshua", and they generally seem to avoid the whole "use Hebrew as a misleading marketing tool" thing that messianics do.

[As a Jew, I have no problem with, and no reason to comment on, Christians who incorporate aspects of the Old Testament into their religious practice.  It's a "you do you" thing.  I only object to Messianic Judaism because it often involves groups with an evangelical Christian theology using Hebrew terms and calling themselves Jews as a way of luring in Jews who would otherwise avoid them, by pretending to be something that they are not.]

On 19 September 2016 at 0:44 PM, smittykins said:

So does mine. Gotta love smartphones.

Sometimes my phone autocorrects it to "funnies". Which is the total opposite!!

22 hours ago, 2xx1xy1JD said:

While some of their practices may share stuff in common with the messianics, to be there is an important difference:  they aren't pretending to be Jews.  They called their church a church, they talk openly about Jesus instead of using "Yeshua", and they generally seem to avoid the whole "use Hebrew as a misleading marketing tool" thing that messianics do.

[As a Jew, I have no problem with, and no reason to comment on, Christians who incorporate aspects of the Old Testament into their religious practice.  It's a "you do you" thing.  I only object to Messianic Judaism because it often involves groups with an evangelical Christian theology using Hebrew terms and calling themselves Jews as a way of luring in Jews who would otherwise avoid them, by pretending to be something that they are not.]

Even though it was decided very early in Christianity's history that Christians didn't need to follow Jewish law or customs, I can see why some Christians would. When I was a believer, it always seemed strange to me that god would spend all this time detailing rules about food and fabric and such in the Hebrew Bible and then take it all back in the book of Acts. The Church Fathers tended to interpet the food rules as being allegories for different sins, and castigated Jews for taking them literally. But it seems to me that if God wanted to tell the ancient Israelites to refrain from, say gluttony, he should have just said it, and not hide it in some allegory about not eating pork. 

Archived