IGNORED

Tim "Jesus" Tebow signed by the Mets

47of74

Ol Tim "Jesus" Tebow is going to be  a baseball player now.

espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17492336/new-york-mets-sign-former-qb-tim-tebow-minor-league-contract

Tim Tebow signed a minor league contract with the New York Mets on Thursday and will begin his professional baseball career in the fall instructional league on Sept. 19 in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson insisted that signing Tebow, a former NFL quarterback, is not a publicity stunt.

"While I and the organization, I think, are mindful of the novel nature of this situation, this decision was strictly driven by baseball," Alderson said on a conference call with Tebow and agent Brodie Van Wagenen on Thursday to announce the agreement that includes a $100,000 signing bonus. "This was not something that was driven by marketing considerations or anything of the sort. We are extremely intrigued with the potential that Tim has.

I sure hope if he gets to home he doesn't drop on home plate and the guy behind him runs into him.

One scout at his "open tryout" said that it was like watching an actor try to play a baseball player. 

This is totally ridiculous. The Mets are wasting money and resources on a 29 year old who hasn't played baseball for 15 years. On top of that his contract allows him to miss time to keep his ESPN college football job. I assume he will not be popular with the young guys who have to be full time players and don't get to jet off to high paid jobs whenever they want. 

And on every sports site that has a story about it, the fundagelical Tebow fans are coming out in droves to say that anyone who criticizes the whole thing is just picking on him because he is a Christian. 

He is quite the arrogant attention whore for someone who talks about Jesus all the time. Because I really think this is just about getting the spotlight again. 

I am now in love with the term 'fundagelical.'

does this mean that Tim might have a job worthy of supporting Jana Duggar (kidding!).  

Some ballplayers are not impressed. This tweet was from Peter Moylan who pitches in the Kansas City Royals organization (he has been back and forth between the Triple A and Majors this season): 

Every minor leaguer gives up so much to chase their dreams, @TimTebow doesn't even have to give up his day job. #justnotright

And Tebow is selling autographed bats ($175) and balls ($125) on his personal website already without having had an at-bat in professional baseball. 

Nice money grab, there, Timmy. 

Archived