Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
luv2laugh

Fundie Speak

Recommended Posts

luv2laugh

I have noticed that fundies speak differently in casual conversations. Instead of talking about going out for a walk, they will say things like "It was such a privilege to spend time outside in the Lord's creation". They also tend to say things like "such a blessing" "joy" "pleasure" a lot. Let's keep a running list going of this "Fundie Language"! What do you usually hear them say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miranda

"Come alongside" meaning I guess to help someone, "love on" for showing support. "Servant's heart" when someone helps others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anonymousguest

purposing

 

Be intentional

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giddy
HerNameIsBuffy

The Lord "laid it upon my heart" which is apparently the way they rationalize whatever dumbass illogical thing they are about to do.  

Marry a kidult off to a stranger, grift money to leave the country to tell Catholics about Jesus (psssst...fundies....we've heard of him, too!), quit a job with health insurance to have eleventy kids without proper health care, keep crunchy hair because some old pervert told them Jesus loves Toni home perms, teach your baby girls the sight of their toddler legs in shorts will cause grown men to sin, eat horrifying meatless burritos, instill in your sons they are powerless to control their sexual urges...

not responsible for an action if God laid it upon your heart...blame God.  

Why is God never laying anything upon their brains?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
calimojo
14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

 

Why is God never laying anything upon their brains?  

 

LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
mango_fandango

They seem to describe everything positive with "neat" or "sweet".

"That was such a neat experience at the Creation Museum!!" (LOL nope)

"We had sweet fellowship with our family before eating our anally-planned meal" (OK that last bit is just me)

Of course, here at FJ, we use the term "sweet fellowship" to refer to babymakin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
THERetroGamerNY

"Blessings" is frequently code for "money".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
imokit
56 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

"Blessings" is frequently code for "money".

Or children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JemimaPuddle-Duck
2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

They seem to describe everything positive with "neat" or "sweet".

"That was such a neat experience at the Creation Museum!!" (LOL nope)

"We had sweet fellowship with our family before eating our anally-planned meal" (OK that last bit is just me)

Of course, here at FJ, we use the term "sweet fellowship" to refer to babymakin'.

This is mostly a Maxwell thing imo ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Four is Enough

As we walk this road: We are doing something other people do, but we have to make it sound special.

The Bible: KJV, natch. The ONLY bible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cleopatra7
6 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

"Blessings" is frequently code for "money".

@imokit said, "Or children."

For families like the Duggars and the Bateses, who have made freak show careers out of parading their giant broods, children are a blessing because they keep viewer interest in their otherwise dull and insignificant lives. Children = money = blessings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
molecule

A lot of non-fundie Christians use these same expressions.

Most of the time I would say that I went for a walk in the woods so I could be surrounded by nature--but if it were a walk where I was prayerful and trying to work through something, I might say I was spending time in the Lord's creation--especially if God laid it upon my heart during that prayer. (I want to note that this is not a rationalization as much as a realization of something.)

I often come alongside someone as a way of loving on them. I've used the word "intentional" for years in both professional and personal contexts because it is the best way to express what I mean. Fellowship is more than just hanging out with others.
 Blessings are anything that has enriched our lives.

I frequently talk about my faith struggles as a journey because it is a metaphor that helps me. Sometimes "as I walk this road" is the easiest way to communicate about it.

Yeah, I've seen fundies use and abuse these expressions, too. Using fellowship as a verb to describe spending time with your family is just sad. Many fundies go out of their way to make every freakin' thing sound like a religious experience for fear of sounding like they are too worldly.

"My friends and I went on a walk through the woods because I'm having a hard time with a decision and I needed some company as I figure out what to do. I have awesome friends" becomes, "We fellowshipped as we enjoyed the Lord's creation because I'm walking a hard road and needed someone to come alongside me and love on me to help me be intentional as I purpose to live a godly life. My friends are such blessings to me."

These expressions are useful when having discussions surrounding personal faith, but fundies have abused the expressions to the point that they seem meaningless. Then again, they've done this with the bible, too, so I'm not surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iweartanktops

Pure. Purity. 

"She has such a pure heart."

"We aim to keep our hearts pure during this season of our relationship."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dilannsmom

"We are all in different places in our walk with the Lord."

I'm more holy than you / I am right because God and you are wrong; you will soon realize that you are wrong and I am right because God.

This is my lease favorite fundy phrase because it is used to justify legalistic Christianity (Lori is a monster Alexander--I'm looking at you!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miranda

"I'll pray on it."

I already know the answer is no, but I'm going to pretend to give it some thought/prayer, but in the end I know God will lead me to say no.

"Waiting on the Lord/for God to open doors."

I'm still single/unemployed/doing nothing with my life.

"Convicted"

I became convicted that the Lord was calling me home to be with my family, so I quit my job with benefits to become a professional grifter.

"Christian"

Believing exactly  the same as me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sad
Palimpsest

It is such an encouragement to see so many lazy and fake missionaries with a burden for saving precious souls in already Christian countries fields ripe for harvest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore
42 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It is such an encouragement to see so many lazy and fake missionaries with a burden for saving precious souls in already Christian countries fields ripe for harvest.

@Palimpsest, that would describe my husband who is currently on a missioncation in Leeds, UK.  Yorkshire already happens to be one of his favorite places.  How convenient that an opportunity arose for him to go the Yorkshire to "witness"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sad
Palimpsest
9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest, that would describe my husband who is currently on a missioncation in Leeds, UK.  Yorkshire already happens to be one of his favorite places.  How convenient that an opportunity arose for him to go the Yorkshire to "witness"!

God is so good!  It makes my heart rejoice in the LORD that such a Godly man as your husband is so prayerfully and selflessly leading my Godless countrymen to True Salvation.  I will pray for his safety on this hazardous mission.

I've lost count of the number of IFB missionaries to heathen Scotland.  They so neglect Yorkshire.  I hope Mr. Sycamore enjoys his trip mission.  I strongly recommend that he witnesses to the heathen in pubs and has a draught pint or two on me.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore

@Palimpsest, unfortunately, he doesn't drink at all.  I think maybe he had some shandy once thinking it was just plain  lemonade or ginger ale.  He won't even drink wine at communion if grape juice is available.   I tend to agree with Benjamin Franklin that "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".

(And no, I don't believe in god and ol' Ben F didn't say this.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl
1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

God is so good!  It makes my heart rejoice in the LORD that such a Godly man as your husband is so prayerfully and selflessly leading my Godless countrymen to True Salvation.  I will pray for his safety on this hazardous mission.

I've lost count of the number of IFB missionaries to heathen Scotland.  They so neglect Yorkshire.  I hope Mr. Sycamore enjoys his trip mission.  I strongly recommend that he witnesses to the heathen in pubs and has a draught pint or two on me.:lol:

I read not long ago that a fundie brother and sister were on go fund me to raise money to be missionaries helping the poor people in Glasgow, while Glasgow has it's fair share of poverty it is not in need of of people oversees helping them in that way. People from Glasgow found the page got insulted by it and they had to delete it and cancel the mission. Glasgow still has problems with sectarianism, Catholics and Protestants, without missionaries coming over here and preaching more hate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sad
Palimpsest
22 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I read not long ago that a fundie brother and sister were on go fund me to raise money to be missionaries helping the poor people in Glasgow, while Glasgow has it's fair share of poverty it is not in need of of people oversees helping them in that way. People from Glasgow found the page got insulted by it and they had to delete it and cancel the mission. Glasgow still has problems with sectarianism, Catholics and Protestants, without missionaries coming over here and preaching more hate. 

Such hubris. I remember the wet-behind-the-ears brother and sister and I think we may have discussed them and their gofundme here.  Lambs for the slaughter and I am glad they reconsidered.

The Hodnett Family are also trying to reach Scotland.  One wonders why they don't try to reach Any City and 3/4 of the towns in the USA.  Here you go. Note the dire music.

 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest, unfortunately, he doesn't drink at all.  I think maybe he had some shandy once thinking it was just plain  lemonade or ginger ale.  He won't even drink wine at communion if grape juice is available.   I tend to agree with Benjamin Franklin that "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".

(And no, I don't believe in god and ol' Ben F didn't say this.)

Well, I still feel deliciously rebellious when I occasionally sip a glass of white wine and I don't do beer or spirits at all - so I don't blame him!

Stlll, I hope he has armed himself with plenty of tracts to hand out - outside pubs.  He could be supporting David Rodrigues as he vainly attempts to convert Yorkshire!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl
14 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Such hubris. I remember the wet-behind-the-ears brother and sister and I think we may have discussed them and their gofundme here.  Lambs for the slaughter and I am glad they reconsidered.

The Hodnett Family are also trying to reach Scotland.  One wonders why they don't try to reach Any City and 3/4 of the towns in the USA.  Here you go. Note the dire music.

 

Well, I still feel deliciously rebellious when I occasionally sip a glass of white wine and I don't do beer or spirits at all - so I don't blame him!

Stlll, I hope he has armed himself with plenty of tracts to hand out - outside pubs.  He could be supporting David Rodrigues as he vainly attempts to convert Yorkshire!

 

Shocking that family bottom of the YouTube clip I remember reading about the mother killed the children to stop the father getting custody she was fundie I believe. These people have no idea how insulting this, to portray a whole country as poor and in need of saving. When the country as a whole is doing fine despite the recession. Maybe they should focus on providing for themselves and not grifting and not some oversees vacation to save people who don't need saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore

@Palimpsest, The group he's with doesn't hand out tracts and does their preaching in churches that have invited them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sad
Palimpsest
2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest, The group he's with doesn't hand out tracts and does their preaching in churches that have invited them.  

I hope you know that I am joking.  I am sure Mr. Sycamore is a good guy and there by invitation.  He is married to you, after all. :) 

12 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

These people have no idea how insulting this, to portray a whole country as poor and in need of saving. When the country as a whole is doing fine despite the recession. Maybe they should focus on providing for themselves and not grifting and not some oversees vacation to save people who don't need saved.

Preach it, sister.  I could not agree more.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore

@Palimpsest,  I figured you were joking.  It's weird right when I was posting that, my husband called from England.  It after midnight and so really late for him as he is not a night owl.  He just wanted to check how we were doing.    He's doing fine and is enjoying the cooler Yorkshire weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.