IGNORED

RIP Elie Wiesel

laPapessaGiovanna

Elie Wiesel died.

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57781653e4b0a629c1aa51bb 

Activist and writer Elie Wiesel, the World War Two death camp survivor who won a Nobel Peace Prize for becoming the life-long voice of millions of Holocaust victims, has died, Israel’s Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem said on Saturday.

Wiesel, a philosopher, speaker, playwright and professor who also campaigned for the tyrannized and forgotten around the world, was 87.

The Romanian-born Wiesel lived by the credo expressed in “Night,” his landmark story of the Holocaust - “to forget the dead would be akin to killing them a second time.”

In awarding the Peace Prize in 1986, the Nobel Committee praised Wiesel as a “messenger to mankind” and “one of the most important spiritual leaders and guides in an age when violence, repression and racism continue to characterize the world.”

I'd like to remember him with his words

Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed....Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never

And

Human suffering anywhere concerns men and women everywhere.

We shall not forget.

May all the Kindly Blessed Ones, by Whatever Name we Know Them, look well upon him and give him a great reward, according to his wonderful works.  Num. 6:24-26.

"The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace."

May he rest in the glory of Eternity, and may his words be forever a powerful witness to us who still live.

Rest in peace, honored Child of God.

The Washington Post did a lovely story:

Elie Wiesel, Nobel laureate and memory keeper of the Holocaust, dies at 87 http://wpo.st/QZ6k1

He was a giant and the world is diminished by his absence.

To my deepest shame, I have never read "Night." Somehow I just missed it, I didn't actively avoid it or anything. I will rectify that as soon as I possibly can.

Rest in everlasting peace, Elie Wiesel. 

Rest peacefully, Elie Wiesel.  After being assigned Night in a history class, I was moved to read everything Elie Wiesel wrote.  His work will live on, educating and teaching generations how important it is to never forget, and how important backing up words with works is for us all.

Very sad to hear of his passing, but I am sure his powerful writing and other works will continue to teach future generations and hopefully inspire them to never let such terrible things happen again. 

RIP Mr. Elie Wiesel.

Kaddish from Reformed prayer book

Exalted and hallowed be God's great name
in the world which God created, according to plan.
May God's majesty be revealed in the days of our lifetime
and the life of all Israel -- speedily, imminently, to which we say Amen.

Blessed be God's great name to all eternity.

Blessed, praised, honored, exalted, extolled, glorified, adored, and lauded
be the name of the Holy Blessed One, beyond all earthly words and songs of blessing,
praise, and comfort. To which we say Amen.

May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life, for us and all Israel,
to which we say Amen.

May the One who creates harmony on high, bring peace to us and to all Israel.
To which we say Amen.

We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

This has long been one of my favourite quotes. Rest in peace.

I read Night on my flight to Krakow, the day before I went to tour Auschwitz. The tour was poignant and sombre, especially with his words and experiences fresh in my mind.

I don't cry when famous people die, but I did when I found out. Rest in Peace.

I had to read "Night" during my short time in public school. It was not only the first school book that I didn't hate, but I actually LOVED it. It remains one of my favorites to this day. The world is a worse place without Elie Wiesel in it. 

Archived