IGNORED

irritating fundie at work

Milly-Molly-Mandy

So I am a RN and on night duty the other night had to work with this irritating AIN who kept talking about the end times. It was really pissing me off. I put my headphones in to shut her up pretending i was listening to my ipod.

We have a nun that volunteers on the ward, super sweet lady in her 70s. when she arrived at 7am she asked irritating fundie how she was and she replied 'I have Jesus, praise the Lord', Sister P looked over at me and rolled her eyes. It was fucking hilarious.

So back on nights on Mon and will have to work with her-what is a great stfu line?

We dont get many fundies in Australia so i dont really know how to deal with them. So obviously it cant be so rude that if she repeated it to anyone I would get in trouble!

Thanks!

Would also love to hear other retorts to fundie comments, ie 'I will pray for you'. My friend says, 'Well if you have a direct line to God ask her to send me some money in the mail' which i find pretty funny.

Try "I'd love to hear more about this but my eardrums were the only part of me that were raptured".

hahahaha yes!

But I dont think she would get it. But at least it would amuse me.

Would also love to hear other retorts to fundie comments, ie 'I will pray for you'. My friend says, 'Well if you have a direct line to God ask her to send me some money in the mail' which i find pretty funny.

Well you can say "Oh thank you, and I'll cast a spell for you."

"Please don't" Then, if they ask why not, you can tell them there are some people you'd rather not have speaking on your behalf.

"Thanks, and while you're at it please look up Matthew 6: 1-15"

"Really? Which god are you praying to?"

"Thank you, I'll return the favor by slaughtering a goat and drinking its blood on your behalf."

"What would Jesus do?" Use it for everything: Can't decide which candy bar to buy from the vending machine? WWJD? Misplaced your pen? WWJD? Got a stain on your shirt? WWJD? and so on...

Had a friend who used to tell people he would sacrifice a chicken on their behalf. Then he'd actually go to KFC.

If she keeps going on about the end times, I'd tell her, "Look, I can see this is really important to you, but I don't believe in that, so could we change the subject?"

If she keeps talking about it, "Why do you need to talk about it that much? Are you looking for validation?"

If she keeps going on about the end times, I'd tell her, "Look, I can see this is really important to you, but I don't believe in that, so could we change the subject?"

If she keeps talking about it, "Why do you need to talk about it that much? Are you looking for validation?"

That's about what I would say. If she persists, could you possibly talk to a supervisor or human resources?

If it were a friend or someone you met in a non-professional setting, you could challenge her by pointing out that thousands have people have predicted the End Times, and they've had a 100% failure rate so far. She probably doesn't even realize that there have been groups of people freaking out about it all throughout history. Since you have to work with her, maybe you shouldn't be so confrontational.

Maybe next time she brings it up, tell her that you're confident that you'll be fine no matter when the Rapture comes, so you don't need any more advice about it.

don't engage - if you do she will likely work all the harder to "soul win" or she might condemn you as a Godless heathen - either way, you will lose valuable minutes of your life

my advice: smile and sweetly and say "that's special" or "how interesting" or "bless your heart" as you rapidly back away

don't engage - if you do she will likely work all the harder to "soul win" or she might condemn you as a Godless heathen - either way, you will lose valuable minutes of your life

my advice: smile and sweetly and say "that's special" or "how interesting" or "bless your heart" as you rapidly back away

I second "bless your heart!"

Another vote for bless your heart!

Or tell her your Catholic _______ (relative, friend, dog) added her to her list of those she does her novena for.

As much fun as it is to think about some really good comebacks, if you want to keep professional and a clean nose in case HR ever is involved, your best resposne is,

"I'm not at all interested in that topic. Please don't talk to me about it any more."

If she says that "it's your soul at stake!" or some other accelerating thing, just repeat: "I'm not interested."

That way if push comes to shove, you can say that you were polite, professional, only expressed your right to not have to converse about something that is not work-related. Most of all, you will be able to maintain that you did not in any way engage her in non-work-related, unprofessional conversation.

I know you're in Oz (lucky you!!) but here in USA, people can and have been fired for far less than talking about pagan religiosity (there's an article on msn.com right now, including a woman who was fired for being too attractive and four women who were fired for "gossip." And they were government employees, who are usually there for life!).

Good luck, kiddo. :|

Archived