IGNORED

RIP Mr C

Palimpsest

As some people already know, we had to let Mr C, AKA Anxious Dog and Epi Hound go today.  He had soft tissue sarcoma in his left front leg and the only possible treatment was amputation followed by chemo and radiation.  Although many dogs do well after amputation this was a very aggressive cancer.  Also, due to Mr C's phobia about vets and needles, amputation was not an option for him.  It would have been cruel to him, in fact, to put him through it.  We have worked very hard on his phobia over the years and he was much better about going the vet.  He was still terrified of needles.

I do want to emphasize here for other dog-owners how fast this happened to him.  This went from a barely noticeable limp in mid- May, clear and very reassuring X-rays as soon as we could get them and a diagnosis (we got a second opinion on the x-rays) of a soft tissue injury that should resolve with pain control, to a soft tissue tumor already invading the bone three weeks later.  Please don't ever ignore a limp.  We didn't ignore a limp - but I had no idea cancers could be this aggressive or move so fast.

Since Tuesday we have had Mr C on huge levels of pain meds and have been researching how best to euthanize a dog with a deep-seated phobia about needles without fear.  Thanks to our wonderful vet we managed that today, I'll share how we did it on request, and he went very peacefully.  

He may have had a whole lot of health issues and the phobia, but he was a wonderful dog and we will miss him.  He also taught me an awful lot about dealing with dogs who have hard to control seizures and methods of desensitizing extremely fearful dogs to a vet's office.  I am no expert, but I will always be glad to share our experiences if they will help others.

Oh, my goodness.  I got a huge knot in my stomach just reading this.  I know you said goodbye to Miss P. less than two months ago - I am just sick for you.

I hope the two doggies are loving on one another at the Rainbow Bridge.

And I hope memories of the love and joy they brought to your life comforts you.

Saying good-bye sucks.

*And now I am crying.  Sorry.  :'( *

No!  I'm so sorry, @Palimpsest.  My god you've had a rough time lately.  All I can say is that your love  for your little doggies shines through your posts.  I am so, so sorry. Thinking of you. 

Thanks so much everyone.  As @SpoonfulOSugar and @Fascinated remembered we also lost Miss P in April.  I now have to comfort Little Guy who just lost his pack.  I think we are comforting each other at the moment.  He is in my lap and I'm typing around him.  A 65lb lapdog with very sharp elbows.

I'm being very stiff upper lipped about Mr C.  The truth is that the "problem" dogs often steal the biggest parts of our hearts.  Why is that?

Mr C had his issues (if we hadn't been able to cope he would have been unadoptable) but he was also my shadow, my kissy dog, and my goofy boy who had a great sense of humor.  I will miss him so much.  He was a lover boy.

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Thanks so much everyone.  As @SpoonfulOSugar and @Fascinated remembered we also lost Miss P in April.  I now have to comfort Little Guy who just lost his pack.  I think we are comforting each other at the moment.  He is in my lap and I'm typing around him.  A 65lb lapdog with very sharp elbows.

I'm being very stiff upper lipped about Mr C.  The truth is that the "problem" dogs often steal the biggest parts of our hearts.  Why is that?

Mr C had his issues (if we hadn't been able to cope he would have been unadoptable) but he was also my shadow, my kissy dog, and my goofy boy who had a great sense of humor.  I will miss him so much.  He was a lover boy.

Oh, crap, you're making me cry. I especially appreciate his sharp elbows. Our son and DIL have a Vizsla who is nothing but knees and elbows. And who is such a softie.  I really understand your pain and loss. Dogs are the best. I have loved reading all your doggie related posts, @Palimpsest, and I know how much you loved him. And the 'problem' dogs are like 'problem' children. Nothing tears at your heart as much. Nothing. 

Sorry, I misread who owned the sharp elbows. @Palimpsest, hope you are ok. 

I am so sorry about Mr C, @Palimpsest.  May you find solace in the memory of the good life you shared with your "problem child" Mr C.  :hug:

I am so sorry to read this, @Palimpsest.  Best thoughts to you and your family.  It is just devastating to lose a loved member of the family - but he is at peace, which is a good thing.

Hugs to you - take it easy.

(I am also in tears - )

Please accept my condolences Palimpsest.

@Palimpsest, I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to find a way to release him from his pain that could accomodate his fears. 

Making the decision to have a pet put to sleep is always heart wrenching. I hope your memories of happier times with Mr. C bring you comfort in the days ahead.

Thank you everyone again.  It is always hard to lose a pet and Mr C was very important to me, partly because of his special needs.  We are hanging in there.

Little Guy is being a great comfort to us.  He has had a very hard time too and is looking for his pack.  We are arranging play dates for him.  We will be taking a break until our hearts and bank account recover from this double loss, but we now have room for foster dogs so I don't think he will be lonely for too long. 

Your post made me tear up :( I am sorry for your loss. Having to say goodbye to a pet is one of the hardest things to do, so please know that I am thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

May Mr C rest in peace.

I am so sorry for your loss. It's scary to let them go, yet you know you have done the most loving thing you could do.

I am so sorry, and I wish there were words to help but I know there aren't.

I truly wish every animal had as a family who acted with such compassion and wisdom.  He was very lucky to have you.

@Palimpsest I am so very sorry about Mr. C. He was obviously a special pup. You did everything you could to make things right for him.

Archived