IGNORED

Prophet's Prey by Sam Brower A. Must. Read.

longskirtlotsakids

Wow. 33 pages in and I am already chilled at the revelations in this book. Written by the lead private investigator in the FLDS, it contains never seen before photos of the sacred temple bed, the child brides of Warren Jeffs, and contents of key documents in the case against the FLDS.

The temple bed, up until now, I saw as possibly a misunderstanding. The thought that it was a single bed for people to rest in during services seemed plausible-until i saw the picture of the bed. WIth a HUGE kneeler next to it, this thing was like something out of a horrible cult horror film. Think 5 feet up in the air with marble columns, huge mattress, in the middle of a huge room. Something out of a Greek God's palace. This was bizarre.

The story is authored by Sam Brower. I am so, so sickened by how against the law an entire town is allowed to run. Imagine having your 16 year old daughter stolen off the street and presented to someone like chattel- even across national laws- and not being able to do a thing about it because law enforcement is so cowed by the church. Even Canadian officials are standing by as teenage girls are transferred like car titles to awaiting rapists.

Another family was kicked out of their house by church construction crews, and the town sheriff threw down the legal documents that enforced the law of the land- which is to say, you cannot be forced out of your home without due process.

The most terrifying thing about this book- besides the fact that it is true and wel-documented- is that this is the world Phillips is trying to emulate. A world where women are property. Where men are subject to the laws of other men on a whim, and not due process.

This world of Short Creek and the FLDS is where Vision Forum dreams of living in.

It is a good book and an important book. I recommended it, among others, weeks ago on a Warren Jeffs thread. Brower is enough of an insider to know the real story, and enough of an outsider to be truly objective.

Thanks for info about the book, longskirtlotsakids. I'll have to look for it at Barnes and Noble. It sounds fascinating.

Archived