IGNORED

WTF IS it in Alabama, anyway??--the water or something?

samira_catlover

I am starting to wonder if, instead of a wall between the US and Mexico, we need a quarantine zone around that poor state, in order to prevent the madness from spreading.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/alabama-lawmaker-sex-offenders-should-pay-their-own-castration

http://www.inquisitr.com/2861584/surgical-castration-of-sex-offenders/

And, I suppose, if there is an offense even after castration, they'll up the punishment to immediate execution. (Sounds like a great recipe to get children murdered---kill the victim, because might get you off the hook.)

Have NONE of these damned legislators ever heard of artificial replacement hormones? They can't be that hard to get: witness steroids. Did they ever read the Bill of Rights?---did the provisions against "cruel and unusual punishment" get deleted when I napping or something?

*have bail money ready, please, by PayPal----if I scream and head-desk ONE MORE TIME here in the public library, they're likely to arrest me for public disturbance*

Well, the US also thinks it's ok to lock people up for decades for non-violent drug offenses. Or even less severe things. I'd honestly care about these things more than what happens to sex offenders whose victims were children under 12. Not that I think it's a good idea, but there are way worse things going on in the US legal system. And I'm actually pretty shocked that people just accept that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/war-on-drugs-prisons-infographic_n_4914884.html

http://www.economist.com/node/16636027

As I said on another thread, I'm ashamed of my state.

• 2 weeks later...

Castration does not make people safer around the guy....

Arkansas' castrated rapist Wayne DuMond found dead in Mo. prison 
kansascity.com ^ | 8/31/05 

Posted on 8/31/2005, 8:53:08 PM by Borges

FORREST CITY, Ark. - Castrated rapist Wayne DuMond, paroled from an Arkansas prison and later convicted of murder in Missouri, was found dead in his prison cell Wednesday, a day after losing an appeal in the Missouri Supreme Court.

Missouri prison officials said DuMond had been diagnosed two months ago with cancer of the vocal cords and that his death appears to have been natural.

DuMond, 55, was castrated while awaiting trial for the 1984 rape of Ashley Stephens of Forrest City. He was initially sentenced to life in prison. But in 1992 then-Gov. Jim Guy Tucker commuted the sentence to 39 1/2 years, making DuMond eligible for parole.

After his release in 1999, DuMond moved to the Kansas City, Mo., suburb of Smithville and was later convicted of killing a woman in her apartment. Tuesday, DuMond lost an appeal in that case.

Shortly after taking office in 1996, Gov. Mike Huckabee said he intended to reduce DuMond's sentence to time served - about 11 years at the time. The governor ended up rejecting DuMond's parole request, which would have freed DuMond without conditions. He signed the decision moments after the Arkansas parole board granted DuMond a parole on condition that another state take him.

DuMond was pronounced dead at 7:03 a.m. by medical staff of a prison infirmary at Crossroads Correctional Center in Cameron, Mo., said Wanda Seeney, a spokeswoman for the Missouri Department of Corrections.

Prison guards found DuMond unresponsive during a routine inmate count earlier that morning and tried to revive him before taking him to the infirmary, she said. An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death. Two months ago, DuMond was diagnosed with cancer of the vocal chords, she said.

"He was being treated for cancer, but it was still a shock because his cancer had not progressed to where they were expecting him to die at any moment," she said.

DuMond's case became notorious in Arkansas when he claimed he was castrated while awaiting trial for a 1984 rape at Forrest City, Ark. No one was ever charged in the assault. Stephens is a distant relative of former President Bill Clinton, who was governor of Arkansas at the time of the rape.

DuMond moved to Missouri after being paroled from Arkansas and shortly afterward was arrested for the Sept. 20, 2000, murder of Carol Sue Shields of Parkville. He was convicted and sentenced to life without parole.

Prosecutor Dan White in Clay County, Mo., said the Appeals Court for the Western District of Missouri upheld Dumond's appeal Tuesday of his first-degree murder conviction.

White said Dumond was also the lead suspect in a murder in Platt County, Mo., but had never been charged in that case.

I think many of the problems with Alabama and the other southern states is that we did not do enough to change the culture after the Civil War.  Yeah outright slavery might have been gone but there was still that exception that allowed for it as punishment for a crime, and there were other ways people tried to get around the prohibition too.  A lot of the same leaders that were in before the Civil War in many cases were able to get back in to power after token amounts of groveling to the Federal government.  The rest of the country didn't have the political will to bring about improvements to the south, and after a few years left them to their own devices.  It took another 100 years before we even started to work towards equality in the south, and we are backsliding because the same culture that existed in 1861 down there still exists today.

8 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I think many of the problems with Alabama and the other southern states is that we did not do enough to change the culture after the Civil War.  Yeah outright slavery might have been gone but there was still that exception that allowed for it as punishment for a crime, and there were other ways people tried to get around the prohibition too.  A lot of the same leaders that were in before the Civil War in many cases were able to get back in to power after token amounts of groveling to the Federal government.  The rest of the country didn't have the political will to bring about improvements to the south, and after a few years left them to their own devices.  It took another 100 years before we even started to work towards equality in the south, and we are backsliding because the same culture that existed in 1861 down there still exists today.

Yep. A different, effectively-strategized and implemented Reconstruction would have meant a different modern South. When all was said and done, it was a spectacular failure as regards everything except the preservation of one United States.

Of course, not much we can do about that now. 

1 hour ago, withaj said:

Yep. A different, effectively-strategized and implemented Reconstruction would have meant a different modern South. When all was said and done, it was a spectacular failure as regards everything except the preservation of one United States.

Of course, not much we can do about that now. 

Yeah, Lincoln didn't hesitate to put 38 starving Native Americans to death for the killings of about 500 white settlers in the largest mass execution in US history.  But he never ordered any Confederate officials or Generals sent to meet their maker, even though they were responsible for the deaths of over 400,000 Union soldiers. 

thenation.com/article/largest-mass-execution-us-history-150-years-ago-today/

It wouldn't have brought back any of the dead in either event to engage in mass executions and I don't think executing these guys was necessarily the answer.  But I wish to Christ Lincoln had done more to hold these men accountable for their actions instead of letting them slink away.

And like you said, that's water that passed under the bridge where I live and has gone around the world probably a dozen times by now.

On 3/7/2016 at 0:18 AM, RosyDaisy said:

As I said on another thread, I'm ashamed of my state.

@RosyDaisy, in the past, I too, have felt shame for my state (Oklahoma).  However; upon reflection, I realized the shame should be directed towards the radicalism within a political party, as well as, religious extremism.  I, and many like-minded Oklahomans, will continue to challenge the radical right at all levels of government within the state.  Unfortunately, the radicals are very well organized, and they turn out to vote at all levels of government.

We, the normal state residents, have allowed them to gain this strangle hold.  We must turn out the VOTE. If we vote, we will gradually regain control of our school boards, our cities, our state, but we have to vote!  We allowed the radicals to consume our state, now we need to reverse damage.  I have many friends/acquaintances that are intelligent, reasoned Republicans, we have something in common, we are horrified with the radical element of the Republican party.  We (Democrats) have joined with them on the local/state level, to stop the madness. You might say, we have a common political adversary.  

I have great sympathy for the red states that have suffered at the hands of political and religious extremist. We only have two options, vote to reclaim our states, or don't vote, and let the radicals use the state as their personal playground. Personally, I don't like bullies.

PS @RosyDaisy, I really enjoy your posts :dance:

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah, Lincoln didn't hesitate to put 38 starving Native Americans to death for the killings of about 500 white settlers in the largest mass execution in US history.  But he never ordered any Confederate officials or Generals sent to meet their maker, even though they were responsible for the deaths of over 400,000 Union soldiers. 

It wouldn't have brought back any of the dead in either event to engage in mass executions and I don't think executing these guys was necessarily the answer.  But I wish to Christ Lincoln had done more to hold these men accountable for their actions instead of letting them slink away.

And like you said, that's water that passed under the bridge where I live and has gone around the world probably a dozen times by now.

Even in our State of Oklahoma, they fail to accurately depict the atrocities committed against the Native Americans. 

54 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Honestly, I think the failure to pursue accountability laid with Johnson, not Lincoln, who very well might have pursued a more just handling of such matters than his Southern democrat VP (hindsight is 20/20, but I can't imagine Lincoln would have chosen such a compromise candidate had he anticipated his own death). Johnson tried to singlehandedly undermine Congressional reconstruction efforts. He got things off to a baaaaad start. Grant inherited an untenable situation, and his relative progressivism couldn't make up for lost time.

@ALM7 Thanks, and I agree. Liberals need to organize and take our government back..peacefully that is. I have 2 young nieces. It scares me to think what life would be like for them if extremists continue their agenda.

19 minutes ago, withaj said:

Honestly, I think the failure to pursue accountability laid with Johnson, not Lincoln, who very well might have pursued a more just handling of such matters than his Southern democrat VP (hindsight is 20/20, but I can't imagine Lincoln would have chosen such a compromise candidate had he anticipated his own death). Johnson tried to singlehandedly undermine Congressional reconstruction efforts. He got things off to a baaaaad start. Grant inherited an untenable situation, and his relative progressivism couldn't make up for lost time.

Hell if Johnson was alive today the Republicans would be salivating over having him as President.

Oooooopsy.  The family values, anti-LGBT, "deeply religious" Alabama governor Robert Bentley (73) has been caught on an audio tape talking naughty to one of his married aides.  The tapes were recorded in 2014. Mr. Pious Guy claims to have never had a "sexual" relationship with her, although there was clearly ear lobe nibbling going on during the one of the tapes and he also mentions breast touching.  Those naughty Baptists!  

These are Governor Bentley's reassuring words to the citizens of his state: 

"I want everyone to know though that I have never had a physical affair with Mrs. Mason,” Bentley said. “I can assure the people of Alabama I have never done anything illegal.”

Lots more detail here: http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/audio-recordings-reveal-robert-bentley-affair-with-rebekah-mason/

On 3/29/2016 at 9:49 PM, Howl said:

Oooooopsy.  The family values, anti-LGBT, "deeply religious" Alabama governor Robert Bentley (73) has been caught on an audio tape talking naughty to one of his married aides.  The tapes were recorded in 2014. Mr. Pious Guy claims to have never had a "sexual" relationship with her, although there was clearly ear lobe nibbling going on during the one of the tapes and he also mentions breast touching.  Those naughty Baptists!  

These are Governor Bentley's reassuring words to the citizens of his state: 

Lots more detail here: http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/audio-recordings-reveal-robert-bentley-affair-with-rebekah-mason/

Yeah I think a lot of these reich wingers had these lines redacted in their bibles;

“Judge not, that you be not judged.  For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.  Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?'  You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." (Matt 7:1-5)

• 3 weeks later...

That's not the whole story. There is much more to this. This article goes into more detail:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/03/governor_had_affair_fired_alab.html

Basically, Gov. Bentley fired top cop Spencer Collier because he refused to lie to the Attorney General. Then sex tapes leak. Gov. Bentley is also in hot water for misuse of funds.

Rebekah Caldwell Mason is NOT an innocent victim who fell prey to a man in power. She's knee deep into this too. In fact her husband's company could be involved in this too.

This just one giant tangled web of lies and deceit. I hate my state and my governor right now. Fuck these people and the horses they rode in on!

Archived