IGNORED

The world may end TONIGHT! Blood Moon and the apocalypse

Buzzard

I've been seeing a lot of articles about this and it isnt strictly LDS bugging out...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/24/us/superm ... index.html

Tonight there will be a lunar eclipse as well as a "supermoon." Apparently this hasnt happened since 1982 and will be very pretty. For some its time to party but for others its time to make sure your bug out bag is packed, you've hoarded your canned goods, and you're right with god!

I know of 2 people that have returned to Utah out of fear that its the "end of days" after reading some LDS authors on the subject, and its apparently widespread enough that the church has issued a statement.

Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints told its 15 million worldwide members that they should be “spiritually and physically prepared for life’s ups and downs,†but they urged them not to take speculation from individual church members as doctrine and “avoid being caught up in extreme efforts to anticipate catastrophic events.â€

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2375402

From the CNN article:

The eclipse is said to be the last of a "tetrad," four consecutive total lunar eclipses, each separated by six lunar months, that took place on Jewish holidays. (The first three in the current series took place April 15, 2014; October 8, 2014; and April 4, 2015.) Some Christian ministers have theorized that the sequence has earth-shaking significance, noting that other tetrads took place in key years in history, including 1492 (Jewish expulsion from Spain) and 1948 (a Mideast war).

Road trip to the end of the world

In promotion for his 2013 book "Four Blood Moons," Christian minister John Hagee claimed that the tetrad was a signal being sent by God.

"The coming four blood moons points to a world-shaking event that will happen between April 2014 and October 2015," he said.

And Mark Blitz, head of El Shaddai Ministries and the author of "Blood Moons: Decoding the Imminent Heavenly Signs," says God is trying to get humanity's attention -- and we ignore it at our peril.

"There are always the naysayers and the agnostics when it comes to God trying to reach mankind in His urgent message to repent," he told World News Daily, which has been charting the eclipse's arrival with headlines such as " 'Blood Moons' expert: Get on God's calendar" and "Coming solar eclipse seen as 'judgment.' "

"Here we have had four total lunar eclipses in a row on Passover and Tabernacles," he said. "And just look what is happening in the world today!"

I'm planning on peeking outside tonight at the half and taking in the sights.

My preparations will involve uncorking a nice bottle of wine.

Good luck everyone. :pray:

Oh good grief. Lunar eclipses come in groups of four- all a tetrad is is a group without any partial eclipses. They are hardly uncommon- this is the third time in my lifetime. They can be predicted millennia in advance with simple knowledge of the way the sun, moon and earth are aligned. Nothing mystical at all, unless you count the rather odd coincidence that the moon and sun appear the same width to us, thus allowing solar eclipses the way we see them.

Grumble grumble clouds in the sky. Better damn well clear off by 7 tonight. Missed half of the last transit of Venus that way...

i read someone's comment on FB that they're going to cleanse their crystals in the light. :D To each their own!

I've been listening to enough Bill Maher lately to counteract dear old John Hagee, bless his soul. Gosh he wrote that book in 2013? Apparently he keeps track of potential income streams from upcoming hysteria clusters he encourages.

:popcorn2:

I am just flat out pissed off the it is cloudy and raining and I probably won't be able to see it!!

I've been hoping for the chance to photograph the event tonight and of course, it's been raining all day and the cloud cover is total at this point.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I did see a "super moon" when I was walking my dog earlier this evening, and it was around quarter to seven British time (so about five hours ahead of the East Coast and eight ahead of the West Coast). No eclipse, but maybe it's only visible in some areas.

Seriously, these people are always predicting the end of the world, and it's always bullshit. :sleeping: :sleeping: :snooty: :snooty:

I did see a "super moon" when I was walking my dog earlier this evening, and it was around quarter to seven British time (so about five hours ahead of the East Coast and eight ahead of the West Coast). No eclipse, but maybe it's only visible in some areas.

Seriously, these people are always predicting the end of the world, and it's always bullshit. :sleeping: :sleeping: :snooty: :snooty:

The eclipse starts around 1:10 a.m. Monday in the UK, according to the Telegraph article I looked at. It will be visible there, weather permitting.

I am just flat out pissed off the it is cloudy and raining and I probably won't be able to see it!!

I'm miserably sick with a cold and simply not capable of staying awake for it. :(

I think it will be too cloudy here as well. Many religious sects and individuals have tried to predict the end of the world forever and none have come true. The JW have made several missed predictions and so has Nostradamus.

Great, I always enjoy a good apocalypse, and it's such good luck that there have been so many since I was born. I wonder how this will compare to the apocalypses of 1988, 1989, 2000, 2001, that one around the mid-00s when some alien spacecraft was supposed to descend on earth, that one a couple years later whenever they booted up the Large Hadron Collider, 2011, and of course the apocalypse to end all apocalypses, 2012.

I was at Chapters the other day and saw a book in the new age section called 2012. I wonder how that's selling these days.

I've been hoping for the chance to photograph the event tonight and of course, it's been raining all day and the cloud cover is total at this point.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Cleared a bit here, Central Illinois, but there is only a tiny bit of it gone yet going back out again in like a 1/2 and hour or so.

I still cant see the sky here, I guess that means that if I dont receive "the warning" that they're talking about in the CNN article I dont have to listen, right?

i read someone's comment on FB that they're going to cleanse their crystals in the light. :D To each their own!

Cleansing and charging crystals at the full moon happens pretty much with any full moon. This one would just be "more powerful." :shrug:

We have a true eclipse at this point - looks just like the process of a solar eclipse, but I'm not having to use a pinpoint viewer.

Anytime the moon casts shadows, I'm impressed.

It's clear here and I can see it from my back door. It's about 50% right now.

It's clear here and I can see it from my back door. It's about 50% right now.

My husband keeps saying, "Cooooooool." I was outside, but I got cold. (What? I should wear pants and shoes? pffffffffffft)

Full eclipse here right now - it's easy to see how some cultures view such events as portents of doooooooooooooom. Very cool.

Checked it out. Sadly, it isn't the big harvest moon that I expected, and is mostly eclipsed at this point. Still pretty cool.

The only thing ending is CSI: Crime Scene Investigation -- the final episode is going on right now. Is Lady Heather the bomber or is she being framed? Grissom is verging on being creepy.

Checked it out. Sadly, it isn't the big harvest moon that I expected, and is mostly eclipsed at this point. Still pretty cool.

The only thing ending is CSI: Crime Scene Investigation -- the final episode is going on right now. Is Lady Heather the bomber or is she being framed? Grissom is verging on being creepy.

It's only really big for the first few degrees after rising. It was HUGE here, but the further it gets up in the sky, the smaller it appears.

Our process/colors has been pretty fascinating. We were lucky to have a good clear sky.

Edited to add Mr. Spoon's best so far:

post-13001-14452000893509_thumb.jpg

On, my, that is gorgeous. As the eclipse has gone on, the light/dark contrast is striking , but we aren't getting the beautiful orange color. Lots of humidity in our air though, so don't get the crisp, beautiful resolution.

Congrats to Mr. Spoon, that's a great picture! We got very lucky - cloudy all day, but we had clear-ish skies long enough to see the first half. Clouds covered the moon just as it was fully covered. It hit maximum here about 9:00, so the kidlet got to see it all. Usually the eclipses have been in the wee hours and he hasn't been able to stay up that late. Now we can start counting down to the total solar eclipse in August 2017 - only visible in the U.S., and we're lucky enough again to be in the narrow strip that will get full totality again. :cracking-up:

On the other hand, the kidlet was looking at Yahoo and saw some crap about Hagee and the apocalypse, so I've been explaining this week (in 4th grade language) why it's not really a Blood Moon, or the End of the World as We Know It, and why some schmucks like to predict the end of the world. And now I need to go hunt down Great Big Sea's version of End of the World for him to listen to tomorrow.

Archived