IGNORED

Gaurding Your Thoughts-Shalom Pearl Brand

debrand

First, Shalom Pearl Brand is looking at the other girl as if she is strongly attracted to her. I don't think that it would be bad if they were attracted to one another but it struck me as odd.

This is petty but Shalom has an unusual voice. Is that an Eastern Tennessee accent?

Their message to single women: You can't be looking for a husband. Serve god, don't look for a husband. God will send him to you.

To help you guard your thoughts you should memorize bible verses or memorize songs. Shalom's daughter makes up songs about Jesus when she is thinking bad thoughts about people.

Thinking negative thoughts about your husband can ruin your marriage. If you have a negative thought about your husband, it might be Satan. Even noticing that your husband is five minutes late is bad.

Guarding your heart sounds like code for worshipping your husband.

Shalom is one of the Pearl daughters

:angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Did you check out the website associated with the video?

nogreaterjoy.org/blogs/preparingtobeahelpmeet/

Just think good thoughts.... and your life will be perfect. Sounds like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan.

:angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Just think good thoughts.... and your life will be perfect. Sounds like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan.

I think that suppressing your emotions would lead to immature people unable to deal with real emotions.

Is it my imagination or does Shalom have an intent way of staring at the other girl?

It strikes me that this Shalom-woman seems very anxious and a bit nervous. Her voice is trembling and at times it sounds like she is close to a break-down. She has this fragile tone in her voice. She seems very uncomfortable. I don't know if that is because of an attraction towards this girl or because of social anxiety. She reminds me a bit of my socially anxious self.

It strikes me that this Shalom-woman seems very anxious and a bit nervous. Her voice is trembling and at times it sounds like she is close to a break-down. She has this fragile tone in her voice. She seems very uncomfortable. I don't know if that is because of an attraction towards this girl or because of social anxiety. She reminds me a bit of my socially anxious self.

I'm very shy so I can sympathize.

I would imagine a lifetime of being told that you can only express joy would make a person emotionally fragile.

I don't even understand the concept of guarding your thoughts. Thoughts are just that, thoughts. It's not like we have control over everything that we think.

I don't think it can be healthy to try, either. I get some crazy thoughts in my head when I'm stressed. Sometimes worry can overtake everything, making me feel physically ill. So, I try really hard to think of something else. To find something else to focus on and something else for my brain to do. But, distracting yourself is rarely ever the answer or a healthy long term solution. Burying or ignoring your thoughts makes them build up and eventually, some how, some way, they will bubble up and become words and actions.

I think it's appalling for people to teach women that this is the 'right' thing to do.

Is it my imagination or does Shalom have an intent way of staring at the other girl?

You are right on the money. There is something kind of "off." I think Effie has some good points. I'm thinking that is what happens when you "guard" your thoughts. Long story, but I have spent most of my life "stuffing" my emotions. Food being the major way to not deal with them. The "think good thoughts" mentality is just another unhealthy way of stuffing your emotions.

I don't even understand the concept of guarding your thoughts. Thoughts are just that, thoughts. It's not like we have control over everything that we think.

I don't think it can be healthy to try, either. I get some crazy thoughts in my head when I'm stressed. Sometimes worry can overtake everything, making me feel physically ill. So, I try really hard to think of something else. To find something else to focus on and something else for my brain to do. But, distracting yourself is rarely ever the answer or a healthy long term solution. Burying or ignoring your thoughts makes them build up and eventually, some how, some way, they will bubble up and become words and actions.

I think it's appalling for people to teach women that this is the 'right' thing to do.

Someone once explained it to me that David lusted after Bathseba, and the Bible says that he committed adultery in his heart before he actually went through with the act. Of course, seeing the lustful thought as the major sin of that story is really missing the point, but that's what fundies do. There have taken this one verse and taken it to the extreme. If I were going to give any attention to this one verse at all, I would think it's the intent to sin and not just the lustful thought on its own, but fundies aren't really known for their ability to understand subtle differences like that.

I didn't really get an attraction vibe. I got more of a feeling that she thinks she has to smile constantly, and that she probably has not watched as much TV/video as most people have so does not know how to make it look right. It looks like she is very awkward because she is uncomfortable but she cannot even realize it because she has been so repressed. I feel so, so, so sorry for her and her siblings. If I had seen even one minute of this when I was a young teen and thinking maybe the Pearl stuff was correct I would have seen right away that something was off with all their claims of perfect children. Argh, I so wish I could rescue all those kids and grandkids and unprogramm their minds!

It's true that pixie dust makes you fly when you think happy thoughts, but Tinkerbell herself was actually quite the little spitfire... no, she was a little bitch. Very jealous of Wendy. It's because, according to the book, 'fairies are so small they only have room for one emotion at a time. Tinkerbell was not always bad. Sometimes she was all good.' She spends much of the book being all bad.

I didn't really get an attraction vibe. I got more of a feeling that she thinks she has to smile constantly, and that she probably has not watched as much TV/video as most people have so does not know how to make it look right. It looks like she is very awkward because she is uncomfortable but she cannot even realize it because she has been so repressed. I feel so, so, so sorry for her and her siblings. If I had seen even one minute of this when I was a young teen and thinking maybe the Pearl stuff was correct I would have seen right away that something was off with all their claims of perfect children. Argh, I so wish I could rescue all those kids and grandkids and unprogramm their minds!

I don't think she's attracted to her either, but she has the same kind of intent stare that Michelle Duggar and other fundie wives give their help meets when they are talking. I think it's probably been "trained" into her, and I wonder if other fundies have this look when others are talking or just with their spouse. I think there is something to be said for showing people you are paying attention and interested in what they have to say, but this vid just shows how weird/creepy it can come across.

My impression of Shalom's on-camera behavior is simply that she's uncomfortable being there.

Agree with Bookworm that if I'd seen such a video as a young woman, I'd have run as fast I could in the opposite direction. It's all so wrong.

She's just nervous about being on camera and trying to keep sweet. While she make sweet sweet love to the blond in her mind.

Archived