IGNORED

Outdated - Supreme Court Declines to Intervene in Gay Marria

doggie

!  {TEXT1}:
Turns out this article is from last year, so not breaking new.

Listen to all of the cheerios getting peed on. fundies just got kicked in the fundy nutsack. The duggers are now on a permanent fast. the world has ended America just went to the devil.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme ... es-n219276

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to take up the divisive issue of same-sex marriage, a surprise move that will allow gay men and women to marry in as many as 11 new states but leave the issue unsettled nationwide.

By rejecting appeals in cases involving Virginia, Oklahoma, Utah, Wisconsin and Indiana, the top court left intact lower-court rulings that declared the bans in those states unconstitutional. The court’s action Monday immediately ends delays on marriage in those five states.

Virginia, for example, may start issuing marriage licenses to gay couples as early as 1 p.m. ET, a state official said. The commonwealth will also recognize same-sex marriages performed in states where they are already legal. "This is the outcome we've fought for, and it is the outcome that the Constitution requires," Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring said at a news conference Monday.

And in addition to the five states where gay marriage will go forward, same-sex couples in six other states — Colorado, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming — will likely be able to get married soon, too, because those states are bound by the same appellate rulings that were put on hold pending the Supreme Court’s review.

The court’s action Monday effectively makes same-sex marriage legal in 30 states, plus the District of Columbia. Gay marriage was already legal in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

After everything, they're just shoving it aside? :angry-banghead: :pull-hair:

I think that is better it does not force the issue so much. it may have been a better way then just right out saying it was legal or worse not legal.

I think that is better it does not force the issue so much. it may have been a better way then just right out saying it was legal or worse not legal.

Maybe so, but it's coming across as cowardly to me. I guess it is far better this way than deciding that it would not be legal.

I respectfully disagree. It seems like a cop-out to me. They don't want to piss off either side, so they just aren't going to take a stance at all. The problem is that conservatives aren't going to stop beating on their door, demanding they outlaw everything but straight marriage. Gay rights advocates are going to be constantly crying that the conservatives are oppressing them, and that the supreme court needs to do something about it.

The supreme court can tell them to shut up all they want, but it's not going to happen. It's too emotionally-charged a topic, and neither side is going to go away. Do they really think this is the end for them, and that they'll never have to deal with this subject again? Just dense.

Am I missing something??

This is dated October 6, 2014

Am I missing something??

crap your right. I found it on another group and it was a new post but now looking it was last year strange. well too many plastic fumes today.

Am I missing something??

Indeed you are correct. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing this story anywhere else. I still back my position, though. :lol:

The court is expected to rule on a gay marriage case later this week or next week. They will likely take a strong stance either way. They'll be addressing the question head on, just not in these particular cases.

The court is expected to rule on a gay marriage case later this week or next week. They will likely take a strong stance either way. They'll be addressing the question head on, just not in these particular cases.

Good. I can still be hopeful.

Glad to see the update that the article was from last year. I had been looking around for some other news, and had seen nothing.

I really think they will decide to legalize it. The precedent is set with the Loving case. There's also the fact that so many judges have ruled in favor, and the turning tide of public opinion both at home and abroad.

If Ireland, with all it's catholics, has marriage equality, that really leaves the ball in our court.

Archived