IGNORED

MOMYS Mary Sturges

Milly-Molly-Mandy

So I have been a subscriber to MOMYS for 15 years. Since I was a teenager and obsessed with all things fundie.

At the time the moderator was Mary Sturges (husband Jim) and she had 4 boys then 2 girls. She lost one child to SIDS and wrote about it here:

achristianhome.org/Good_Things/SIDS.htm

So I left MOMYS for several years (at the time Mary was exploring an Orthodox Church) then my interest in fundies was piqued again and I re-subscribed. And joined FJ.

Mary was gone. I posted asking about her and received a mysterious email saying she had left and was not to be posted about & an address with mojito Mary to contact her.

I was intrigued but email received no reply.

I suspect she has left fundie world and would love to know what she is up to know. I've done some googling and got to a dead end.

Does anyone know anymore about the situation?

Does anyone know her or did know her?

Mods: I hope this is ok to post about? Feel free to delete and PM me if not.

I don't have any info. on Mary, but I recall reading the heartfelt letter you linked to, and feeling so bad for her.

I was interested in the Momys group after reading about Teri Maxwell's involvement in it, and I think that's how I found her letter.

I couldn't believe then, and still can't believe, that anybody would have given her a hard time about putting babies to sleep on their backs after what she had been through.

If I had to guess, I'd bet she left Momys after that. Maybe she finally woke up to how nasty fundies really are and told them all to F off.

ETA: I googled her, like I'm sure you did too, and almost nothing comes up. Just the letter you linked to basically. Now I'm curious what happened to her. Post if you find out anything.

I think she passed away. I may be wrong but somewhere in the recesses of my memory that springs to mind.

Hmm maybe but I was given her email address and not told she had died.

• 2 years later...

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated, to quote Twain. I'm tickled that you ladies remembered me. 

As you guessed, I got enough and left that lifestyle. The kids are mostly grown now. I'm divorced and remarried and I see things from a different point of view than I used to. 

Open to questions, and hugs to you ladies. 

Actually, yes; I have a job search out there and wanted to see how hard it would be to turn up tinfoil-hat-type writing that I did back in the day. Turns out, you'd have to know what search terms to use. Even then, most of the writing sounds earnest and sincere, if misguided. ;)

Good luck with your job search! Would you mind terribly giving a cliffs notes version of what led to a change of heart? Was it a single event or just a gradual shift?

Ohh this has made my day!

I would love to hear what made you leave. I remember reading you saying you and Jim decided you had to accept everything the bible said (even Noah's arc etc) if you became Christian and even at 16/17 I thought you were too intelligent to be able to suppress your common sense. 

Also love to hear what MOMYS have said about it. I still guiltily subscribe but not active in any way as subscribed as a read only MOMYS. Which is true as I now have 2 little ones (but am soooo done!)

Archived