IGNORED

nienie dentist drama.

OkToBeTakei

Man what a mess.

On her blog nie describes a rather sad tale of taking her son to the dentist. At times I wonder does she do this on purpose to cause controversy or does she not have the insight to realise it will provoke contoversy...Hmmm?

Next after some obvious criticism she posts a picture to her instagram saying her son loves her despite said dental drama. Comments go mental...as they do.

Here's the bit I find awful. Half way down the instagram her second daughter jumps in to defend her Mother. Paraphrasing....Don't say mean things, it makes my mom cry and I can see what you write which makes it terrible. She's about 12 I think.

New blog post which basically says mean folk are mean I'll blog on.

I really think she would be way better off not answering her critics. She's been blogging a long time, she never seems to learn this.

I think people here and on GOMI often overreact and go really overboard nitpicking faults in bloggers. This is not one of those times.

I sat next to him as he squirmed in the dentist chair.

he kept saying:

"But, I am scared of shots" over and over again.

Dr. Huang was so kind and patient,

I, on the other-hand began loosing my patience.

After about 20 minutes of asking, prying, and begging, we

decided that Nicholas was going to have to learn the hard way with this one.

We left the office.

If his tooth hurt bad enough he would have to be the one to

tell me that the pain is just too much to handle

and he'll have to decide to be brave and get it fixed.

What. The. Fuck. What kind of parent acts like that?

And if she is getting (justly) criticized on instagram, she has no business letting her children see the comments on her pictures. They should not be in a position where they feel they have to defend their parents.

I agree there is a lot of blogger nitpicking on forums like FJ and GOMI, but she definitely deserves all the criticism for that post. Why would you let your child suffer from a toothache for nearly a year before taking him to the dentist? Taking care of the issue earlier would've saved him so much pain, fear, and a tooth extraction. Her whole attitude about it made me so freaking angry! She sucks as a parent for all her spouting off about the sanctity of motherhood. Her poor kids have been through so much. :angry-banghead:

How old is this child? Could she have not found a dentist that used laughing gas before giving the shots?

How old is this child? Could she have not found a dentist that used laughing gas before giving the shots?

Exactly what I was thinking. Give the kid a few hits of nitrous and all will be well in the world.

May I nitpick, please?

"Loosing patience". It drives me batshit when people incorrectly spell "lose" or "loose".

I don't really follow Nienie. She is the Mormon blogger who was injured in the plane crash, correct? I wonder how she would feel if one of her injuries was bothering her for a year and she went to the doctor and was forced to leave because she was scared of a procedure or shot. What a bitch.

I think people here and on GOMI often overreact and go really overboard nitpicking faults in bloggers. This is not one of those times.

What. The. Fuck. What kind of parent acts like that?

And if she is getting (justly) criticized on instagram, she has no business letting her children see the comments on her pictures. They should not be in a position where they feel they have to defend their parents.

Did it not occur to any of them to give the kid some nitrous oxide to calm him down and reduce the pain? That's ridiculous. I'm rather surprised the dentist didn't tell her how risky it is to ignore an infected tooth.

ETA: Now that I've read it, I feel even more judgy. The kid's tooth has been hurting since LAST SUMMER, and she only just now got around to checking it out at his "six month checkup"? That poor kid.

Agree the nitpicking of her blog/life can be ferocious. It fascinates me as to why she is hated so much.

I believe he was given gas, if you read the post.

The content of the post aside what I really find strange is that her kid reads and responds to the comments. I'm not sure what she hopes to achieve with that. Teach them there are mean folks in the world? A lot of her posts/pictures receive positive admiring comments, the negative ones though, are brutal. 12 seems a bit young to deal with the animal that is internet snarking.

She's well known and prolific in the blogging/Mormon world. I suspect she would be way better off remaining silent about her detractors. The more she responds the more fodder she gives.

Agree the nitpicking of her blog/life can be ferocious. It fascinates me as to why she is hated so much.

I believe he was given gas, if you read the post.

When he went back after the pain became unbearable, they gave it to him. It was not given the first time.

Obviously they lack a dental plan or any common sense (maybe both).

Perhaps the parents should get jobs.

As someone who has suffered form a toothache for weeks because insurance reasons... Fuck that mother with a knife! And I think I'm in pain, jeez! Since LAST summer?

And yeah, nitrous oxide is exactly what I would've asked the dentist about!

If the infection from an abcessed tooth spreads through the bloodstream, it can be fatal.

And if a kid is scared, it's up to parents and medical professionals to try to find a way to make them comfortable and treat them. A child can't just make themselves not to be frightened--- for that matter, neither can an adult. Getting impatient and annoyed with a kid who is truly scared, and treating them as if they are misbehaving on purpose, is cruel.

Wait a second... This woman got impatient and gave up after 20 MINUTES? I know that's an eternity to a kid, but to an adult that's not very long at all. I'd be more impressed if she waited an hour before getting impatient, but after 20 minutes?

When he went back after the pain became unbearable, they gave it to him. It was not given the first time.

It's not really clear as she she doesn't mention gas for the first visit, or state it was definitely not used. I think it's just an assumption.

I'm not clear on dental practice in the US. Would it be usual for kids to have gas routinely? Or is it generally just for nervous patients? It's not routine where I live. There again whilst not loving the dentist my kid is not fearful, she had a tooth pulled for overcrowding with the numbing gel followed by the local anaesthesia.

The dentist does offer diazepam for adults but anything requiring further anaesthesia would need to be done at the dental hospital. I'll need to look it up as I kind of like the idea of nitrous for myself :lol:

To be honest the ins and outs of the visit what she did and did not do are not of interest to me as others said there are plenty who nitpick her every move, word, picture to the almost obsessive degree. Bikes with no helmets, child with dummy, feet on tables, car seat belts, you name it.

My interest is her motive. She obviously reads what is written about her and I always wonder if she courts the controversy on purpose or is she genuinely oblivious to how she is perceived.

I just can't imagine how her 12 year old daughter must feel reading the comments. As a public blogger and an adult nie knows she opens herself up for criticism be it warranted or not, how can she let her kid be involved in that? How on earth is that healthy? Her last post she talks about safety, about her home being a 'safe' place, to close the door on nastiness. Wether she thinks she has done nothing wrong or not, by allowing her child to see and respond online she may as well leave her door wide open. (Metaphorically.)

I'm not clear on dental practice in the US. Would it be usual for kids to have gas routinely?

It is my experience that in the US nitrous is very individual-dentist-dependent. Some dentists offer nitrous pretty much upon request. I have never heard of it being given to a child under 3 years old at the dentist, but a 12 year old would probably be given it upon a parent's request by many dentists. Sometimes there is an extra fee (not usually a big fee, though) that is not covered by dental insurances. I personally - who have had a lot of dental work, in part thanks to the side effects of chemo - made sure that my own dentist offers it, and I use it.

There are some dentists around here that don't offer it and don't have it available in their offices. It seems to be a preference thing.

There are a lot of pediatric dentists around here and it seems to be the "thing" for parents to take their kids to pediatric dentists instead of general or family dentists. It seems that the pediatric dentists (most anyway) have extra skills in dealing with kids and also have staff with extra skills in dealing with kids.

The other issue I see in this story is nienie's poor interaction with the child on this. Appropriate discussion with the child ahead of time, and appropriate interaction at the time of treatment, can go a long way toward helping the child manage these situtations.

Oh - and nearly all dental work is more unpleasant when it has been let go too long.

I think her son Nicholas is 8 or 9. I agree, there are some things that bloggers shouldn't be nitpicked for. But there have been many things NieNie has been ripped apart for and sometimes she deserves to it an extent. The part about Nicholas' tooth hurting for months and them waiting is crazy and dangerous.

As for NieNie's daughter defending her on IG, I have to wonder if NieNie used the daughter's account and pretended to be her in order to stir shit further with her critics and also to hype her fans.

Obviously they lack a dental plan or any common sense (maybe both).

Perhaps the parents should get jobs.

I think it is more a lack of common sense. She has talked about taking her kids to check ups and cleanings in the past. I don't think the Nielsons are hurting for money. NieNie's blog continues to generate some income, but it's hard to tell how much. She and sometimes Christian do speaking gigs. There is speculation on GOMI and here about whether Christian is actually working. At one point, his license for his insurance business was lapsed for several months.

Ye gods and little fishes. I'm 37 and get nitrous for anything dental involving needles...otherwise they'd have to pry me off the ceiling. It's a cheap add-on ($12/visit at my dentist), but it makes a world of difference. What the hell is wrong with this woman that she's willing to let her kid go without necessary dental care if he's afraid of needles? They have workaround solutions like nitrous oxide for a reason!

At one time I was fascinated by Mormonism -- the emphasis on the male priesthood sealed my rejection of it.

Thinking of that emphasis, I wonder how the kid's gender informed this whole thing. Would the parents have told a daughter to suck it up and get used to pain? Did they defer to the son's decision to avoid the dentist because, as a child with a penis, he already has wisdom far beyond any mere woman's understanding?

And when it had devolved as far as it had, why wasn't the manly priesthood-holder-father-husband the one to take the child to the dentist? Wouldn't that have ended any arguments right then and there?

I never followed this blogger but did read her survival story and was interested when she decided to attempt another pregnancy, post-accident.

From that brief reader ship, I remember some startling photos of her small children walking around on the kitchen countertops. This must've been 4 years ago since the toddler child was just conceived.

The older kids were still small enough that a fall from a kitchen counter could've caused brain damage.

I remember thinking then, "The mom has walked thru the fire, literally; if she considers risky behaviors okay, who am I to snark?"

In sum, this family baffles me. Also: every time I see Mr. Nielsen, I see a man who was okay with presuming his wife lost to the burning wreckage. Granted, he himself was burned and in shock, but..... A W K W A R D.....

I'm sorry but the poor kid has been suffering with the tooth pain since last summer? I am not know for rushing my kids to the dentist at every cough and sneeze, but that would have been dealt with quickly. And only 20 minutes before giving up? If he has such anxiety with the dentist, maybe he should have been put to sleep. There are times I like reading Nienie and other times I think she's bat crap crazy. Don't get me started on Charlotte walking on the counters.

Right. A toothache that won't go away isn't really something you should mess with. Also, if nitrous wasn't available, there are some children's medications that cause drowsiness.... but that would be as a last resort and it would have to take way longer than 20 minutes.

Man, I just keep feeling so bad for this kid, cuz I'm in pain myself right now.

I think one of the main reasons NieNie irks a lot of people on GOMI and here is because she often heavily focuses on what she is going through in regards to her burns that she tends to forget or doesn't try to focus on or empathize with others. A few months back, Nie blogged about how during one of her hikes, she got ahead of another female hiker who seemed slower than her. The other hiker told her something about having strong legs. I can't remember the whole thing, anyway NieNie went on the blog and showed pictures of her burned/scarred legs and tried to make it seem like she was so much stronger than the other woman. I do think NieNie's life is difficult. Those burns are always going to take some kind of toll on her body and health. But GOMI posters were pissed that she didn't think about why the other woman wasn't hiking as fast as her.

I now wonder if Nie tried to give Nicholas that energy drink that she claimed helped her get off pain meds lol.

At one time I was fascinated by Mormonism -- the emphasis on the male priesthood sealed my rejection of it.

Thinking of that emphasis, I wonder how the kid's gender informed this whole thing. Would the parents have told a daughter to suck it up and get used to pain? Did they defer to the son's decision to avoid the dentist because, as a child with a penis, he already has wisdom far beyond any mere woman's understanding?

And when it had devolved as far as it had, why wasn't the manly priesthood-holder-father-husband the one to take the child to the dentist? Wouldn't that have ended any arguments right then and there?

I actually don't think Mormons are generally that weird about the priesthood when it comes to everyday life. Boys don't get the priesthood until 12 anyway, so this kid wouldn't have it yet.

Dental issues are one of the biggest issues that people go to ER about, after ear infections and ingrown toe nails. ER can handle the later two but the dental issues there is nothing we can do about them. GO SEE A DENTIST ON A REGULAR BASIS!!!!!!!

I get nitrous for a cleaning. Yes. Really. I can do natural labor no problem but I cannot handle the dentist. But I knew that I was a coward about it.. So we have worked really hard to help our kids have good experiences. It's weird to me that she is all into yoga but doesn't seem to have any sense of mindfulness or how to use meditation. I have one kind that does tonglen breathing with gas to calm down enough to tolerate it. But everyone gets their dental work in full and on time.

Nie is my spite fundie. I am also LDS and she is just so jacked up and weird about it. She has the reverse midas touch. She could touch pure gold and turn it into crap.

Archived