IGNORED

Baby Cut From Mother's Womb Is God Punishing America

Toothfairy

An embattled state lawmaker is unrepentant after referring to a crime in Colorado last week in which a stranger stabbed an expectant mother and removed her unborn child from her womb as God punishing America for its stance on abortion.

"This is the curse of God upon America for our sin of not protecting innocent children in the womb," state Rep. Gordon Klingenschmitt (R-Colorado Springs) said on his YouTube Channel Tuesday. "Part of that curse for our rebellion against God as a nation is that our pregnant women are ripped open."

In the segment, excerpted by Right Wing Watch, Klingenschmitt points to Hosea 13:16 in the Bible, which reads, "The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God ... They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open."

He then considers whether the biblical quote has "prophetic significance" to the United States today, and requests viewers join him in prayer to ask "for an end to the holocaust which is abortion in America."

A former Navy chaplain, Klingenschmitt made the comments during part of a regular broadcast forThe Pray In Jesus Name Project, an online ministry he runs. The ministry includes both a non-profit religious wing and a political advocacy group which gathers signatures for petitions.

Klingenschmitt stood by his comments in interviews Thursday.

"I believe the Bible and I quoted the Bible and I applied it to current events," he told Denver's Fox31. "If other people are offended by the Bible, that’s okay, they don’t have to agree with me or come to my church or watch my TV show. It’s a free country."

In a second interview, granted to local NBC affiliate 9News, the lawmaker affirmed his beliefs though distanced himself somewhat, claiming he's been misinterpreted.

"On the show you essentially say this woman got attacked because it was God's punishment for our laws on abortion," 9News reporter Brandon Rittiman told Klingenschmitt, then asked, "Would you look her in the eye and tell her that's what you think happened to her?"

"Well, that's not what I said, first of all," Klingenschmitt said. "I quoted the Bible and I stand by the Bible."

In an emailed comment to The Huffington Post on Friday, Colorado Speaker of the House Dickey Lee Hullinghorst (D-Boulder) called the statement "reprehensible and disrespectful," but declined to comment further, "given the sensitive nature of the events, as well as respect for the victim and her family."

House Republicans, meanwhile, sought to distance themselves from the remarks.

"As a mother, I am appalled by these abhorrent comments made about a horrific and heartbreaking tragedy," said Assistant Minority Leader Polly Lawrence (R-Littleton) in a statement to HuffPost. "These comments in no way align with the Republican caucus’ views and we soundly reject them."

Laura Carno, a Republican political strategist who started the "Conservatives Against Gordon Klingenschmitt" Facebook page in January, seconded that sentiment in an emailed comment.

"I am disgusted by his comments," she said. "They do not represent the Republicans and conservatives I know. Rep. Klingenschmitt politicized this tragedy to drive business to his ministry. It's disgraceful."

Michelle Wilkins was 7 months pregnant when she was attacked on March 18. Investigators say 34-year-old Dynel Lane lured Wilkins to Lane's home in Longmont through a Craigslist ad for baby clothes, then beat and stabbed Wilkins before removing the baby with a knife. The baby did not survive, and Reuters reports Lane is being held on suspicion of attempted murder, assault and child abuse resulting in death.

Klingenschmitt did not immediately return a request for comment from The Huffington Post.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6955456? ... mg00000013

Disgusting and shameful don't even begin to describe his comments but this isn't the first time this asswipe has made outrageous statements. His views are well known yet he still got elected.

I don't know what bothers me more.

The pro abortion people were all over this story from the comments I read on other websites. :angry-banghead:

It's sad that they take a tragedy and turn it into a political debate.

The pro abortion people were all over this story from the comments I read on other websites. :angry-banghead:

It's sad that they take a tragedy and turn it into a political debate.

I have two reactions. Totally agree with you. This terrible thing is turned into a political debate. Does he even have a heart? I'm in tears about this, but he scolds Americans.

The other thing is the dishonesty. I teach my son the importance of honesty. My friends teach their children the importance of honesty. The public schools, at least around here, teach the importance of honesty. I strive to be honest at all times. With this one, it seems as if he is similar to a preschooler who has his hand in the cookie jar and crumbs on his face but saying I did not swipe the cookie.

Aren't pro life people supposed to pretend verses like that don't exist because obviously all life is precious?

But people were engaging in these types of crimes hundreds and even thousands of years ago, even during the period of Christendom. And if God wants to punish America for abortion, why would he take it out on one women (who intended to see the pregnancy to term) rather than all of us? :wtf: if you look at the Bible, there is no prohibition about terminating a pregnancy. In fact there are some passages that support it (there's a weird passage about giving a woman suspected of adultery a potion that will cause an abortion if she's guilty).

I wonder if the Pro LIFE delegation would want this man to receive the Death Penalty...

You know, since ALL life is precious and all.

Isn't this when Lorken would say that the part of the Bible in which God cuts babies from wombs is no longer relevant because of Jesus and the law and some such nonsense that was made up to explain the part of the made up stuff they no longer like?

If there is a hell, people like Klingenshit will burn in it.

This happened in my city. I live just blocks away. It has shaken our community. It's so frustrating to see it turned into any sort of political nonsense. That being said, there will be no murder charge, and that's hard. The baby might not have been born yet, but she lost her chance at the life her parents wanted for her, and that hurts. This was premeditated and should be punished accordingly. The suspect didn't care that the mother would die from her taking the baby. Somehow she managed to survive and now it's a lesser crime. Ugh. Done ranting. Sorry.

I believe the Bible and I quoted the Bible and I applied it to current events," he told Denver's Fox31. "If other people are offended by the Bible, that’s okay, they don’t have to agree with me or come to my church or watch my TV show. It’s a free country." Quote

Someone please help me understand something…why is it that when this asshat meets opposition to his opinion "they don't have to agree with me…

It's a free country." But when someone who believes and speaks up for true freedom of choice (access to abortion or gay marriage) that person is destroying this country and stepping on this asshat's rights. Someone please explain this to me. Tell me like I'm a two year old so I can understand.

I believe the Bible and I quoted the Bible and I applied it to current events," he told Denver's Fox31. "If other people are offended by the Bible, that’s okay, they don’t have to agree with me or come to my church or watch my TV show. It’s a free country." Quote

Someone please help me understand something…why is it that when this asshat meets opposition to his opinion "they don't have to agree with me…

It's a free country." But when someone who believes and speaks up for true freedom of choice (access to abortion or gay marriage) that person is destroying this country and stepping on this asshat's rights. Someone please explain this to me. Tell me like I'm a two year old so I can understand.

I believe the logic goes something like "Because I said so."

The problem here is that it's not just a matter of not attending his church or watching his TV show. He's an elected representative, with the ability to force his beliefs on everyone by making them into laws and acting as their spokesperson, and if his constituents disagree with the things he says or does, they're basically screwed until the next election. So much for "it's a free country."

This happened in my city. I live just blocks away. It has shaken our community. It's so frustrating to see it turned into any sort of political nonsense. That being said, there will be no murder charge, and that's hard. The baby might not have been born yet, but she lost her chance at the life her parents wanted for her, and that hurts. This was premeditated and should be punished accordingly. The suspect didn't care that the mother would die from her taking the baby. Somehow she managed to survive and now it's a lesser crime. Ugh. Done ranting. Sorry.

I agree she should of been charged with murder at that point in the pregnancy.

Although with someone who is either that detached from reality, or that evil, or however you want to explain it -- I doubt the actual charge matters as much as making sure she never, ever has the opportunity to hurt someone else ever again. It's not the type of crime that can be deterred by sentencing.

I hate that this tragedy is turned into a political thing. It's horrible. And this awful State Rep. Is getting attention for it. How on earth is this guy getting elected??? And suppose this happened in a country with strict abortion restrictions -- what is the "reason" then?

I believe she will be charged with “unlawful termination of pregnancy.†it's a class 3 felony, so on par with manslaughter, rather than murder, but still within the range of various types of homicide. So it's not like it's not being treated as a crime, which is what this kind of rhetoric keeps trying to suggest.

I believe she will be charged with “unlawful termination of pregnancy.†it's a class 3 felony, so on par with manslaughter, rather than murder, but still within the range of various types of homicide. So it's not like it's not being treated as a crime, which is what this kind of rhetoric keeps trying to suggest.

I haven't seen anything, anywhere, remotely implying it's not being treated as a crime. Even leaving aside the baby that died - there's the attack on the woman, which I would hope is at least an attempted murder charge.

Just a horrible thing all around. Unfortunately the woman will probably plea deal or try an insane plea

I haven't seen anything, anywhere, remotely implying it's not being treated as a crime. Even leaving aside the baby that died - there's the attack on the woman, which I would hope is at least an attempted murder charge.

I think there was also an attempted murder charge, as well as an assault charge.

Just a horrible thing all around. Unfortunately the woman will probably plea deal or try an insane plea

i'm not looking forward to the eventual jury selection for this. It's going to be rough. Normally I don't mind jury duty, it's somewhat interesting, but I didn't have to experience a case this severe. I couldn't handle this.

I will just say, that being on a jury for murder is not fun and still haunts me 10 years later.

I should clarify. There's a lot of pro-life rhetoric that is implying that because the woman is not being charged with murder that this is proof of how we've enshrined abortion and "how can she get away with killing this child," etc, etc. Those types don't care about the charges related to the mother, because they never care about the mother.

Aren't pro life people supposed to pretend verses like that don't exist because obviously all life is precious?

All life is precious, until the baby is born, then they don't give a flying fig about it. After all, the only people who should be procreating are WASP (fundies)

So God is punishing America for the sin of killing babies by .... killing babies? :wtf: :music-tool:

Yeah...that don't make no damn sense.

All life is precious, until the baby is born, then they don't give a flying fig about it. After all, the only people who should be procreating are WASP (fundies)

That's a pretty huge generalization there. Not everyone who is anti- abortion is a) extremist on the issue b) conservative c) anti- safety net/ social support or d) WASP.

Most of the people I know who favor some abortion restrictions would be considered moderate to far left on most other issues. They also are a mix of socio/economic/racial/religious backgrounds.

That's a pretty huge generalization there. Not everyone who is anti- abortion is a) extremist on the issue b) conservative c) anti- safety net/ social support or d) WASP.

Most of the people I know who favor some abortion restrictions would be considered moderate to far left on most other issues. They also are a mix of socio/economic/racial/religious backgrounds.

I think pro-life and anti-abortion are vastly different. Anti-abortion tends to be the pro-natalist/ anti-birth control /only fetuses matter types. It's the same way as pro-choice differs from being staunchly pro-abortion. The one who committed this awful crime should also be charged with attempted murder on the woman.I agree we shouldnt generalize. but I think this is what the comment above means.

Archived