IGNORED

Overzealous fundies on "the occult"

onlysaneperson

One of my friend's dad sliced the horns off of her unicorn My Litttle Pony figures because it was associated with a magical being and therefore dangerous.

That poor little girl! My friend and I were OBSESSED with My Little Pony when we were seven. We used to get told off by our year two teacher for taking them into school, but that never deterred us - we just hid them in our swimming bags! I feel so sorry for all these kids who missed out on all this innocent fun and just being allowed to be kids.

I used to think supernatural stuff happened to me because I read the satanic bible. Now I'm not so sure, but I'm not sure I want to give more detsils

Yeah, but then all your potential victims would get bored and quit halfway through. ;)

Yeh, monotony would be a good way to bore your victims to death I mean, enslave them.

I used to think supernatural stuff happened to me because I read the satanic bible. Now I'm not so sure, but I'm not sure I want to give more detsils

Not likely. The Satanic Bible is actually less violent and messed up than the actual Bible.

Not likely. The Satanic Bible is actually less violent and messed up than the actual Bible.

LaVey´s books are just a sequence of universal phrases, anecdotes from his life and observations as a traveling fairground help and some low-level social darwinism, Nietzsche quotes and hippie culture trends he twisted a little. Garnished with "rituals"and etc. he made up in his mind after paging through Crowley, Lovecraft and E.A.Poe.

The whole Satanic Church thing is a giant fraud he pulled off for the sake of pulling off a giant fraud.

You have a greater chance to turn into a blue unicorn after watching My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic than to meet the Beelzebub after reading the "Satanic Bible".

The whole watch out for demons coming in on Goodwill items is pretty goofy. There are some oddball stories about objects retaining negative energy say a murder weapon or chains used in a mideval torture dungeon. I don't know if the Zaffis TV show "Haunted Collector" is still in production but it deals with those sorts of objects.

Aren't there supposed to be counter measures to these sorts of "problem objects"? I have heard of doing things like soaking an item in salt water, or leaving it out in bright sunlight. In the case of something beyond cleansing burn it, fire destroys matter and presumably any unholy energy attached to it.

Years ago the ex and I were on vacation and in a lovely B&B. Our hosts were a deeply fundamentalist family of lobster and tuna fishermen. Nice family, but they were seriously worried about exposing their grade-school aged children to Harry Potter. They asked us what we thought about Harry Potter and if it really was a problem or a bad influence. Both of us had read all the books available at the time.

I told them it was just harmless fantasy and pretend. I explained the "spells" used by Hogwart's students were just "bastardized Latin" when not completely made up, thus were harmless because they were pretend. As far as I could tell there was nothing related to real witchcraft in the books. (Most of the witches I know personally are along the lines of Wiccan folks, which I see as a harmless early Earth religion.) I might as well have been talking to a brick wall. Didn't make even a tiny dent in their fear. So I was left wondering, why did they bother to ask?

I don't think this is only in fundiedom. I think this is a common Christian belief (ie. evangelical, mostly) its just that fundies tend to be very excitable and overzealous to apply this that they lose a grasp of the facts. I'm sure most "Christians" wouldn't go so far as to worship demons but they may watch fantasy/horror films, play role-playing games, own Cabbage Patch dolls (lol), etc.. Knowing fundies, anything that looks remotely "scary" can be described as demonic ie. Jack-o-lanterns or creepy frogs. Anything "ugly", basically, can be legitimately categorized as demonic, or even things that look ordinary and decent can be supposedly deceitfully wicked.

My mother was (and is) always very peculiar with not washing and or hang-drying any laundry, clothes or generally not hanging any blankets, sheets or sheet-like thing etc. between 25th December evening and 6th January.

We kids always went through the house the days before to make sure no lonely sleeping bag or garden mat hung on a line somewhere in the attic or a garden shed. Not even a single sock!

Because if you do, accompanying demons or creatures from the Wilde Jagd (the old-germanic pendant to the scandinavian Trail to Asgard) would get caught in it. :shifty-kitty:

There is even a elaborate system what kind of laundry summons which one and what you have to do to keep them away, like Holy Water or frankinsence, having the Light of Bethlehem in your home.

It oes like this: just washing it equals unhappiness and bad luck in the following year. Hanging bed-sheets for drying on a line is the worst because it equals death, as a sheet resembles a pall.

And some was genuinely harmless like a scarf or a sock, because a Kobold think you left it as a "gift" and inviting it to stay for all the following year. And that ones would be just annoying, like hiding you keys and make your new year´s diet plans fail ... :lol:

Ah, I always loved that stuff as a child... I still do the same today, out of sentimentality. And also, just to be sure.

Whaaat? Why? What belief does this come from?

Whaaat? Why? What belief does this come from?

Pre-christian germanic and nordic rituals, integrated into our belief system (we are a catholic country), mixed with austrian alpine traditions and folk lores.

In Salzburg, with my in-laws, people (mostly the boys and young men of the village/town/city) also stage Wilde Jagd with the old masks, horns and drums and the horse harness. Very nice to watch, by the way.

This whole thread is making me feel so much better about all the scary rumors we used to hear as kids growing up. The preachers would quote the verses, Matt. 10:16 "Wise as serpents, innocent as doves" and Ps. 101:3 about not putting anything evil before our eyes, to keep us from actually researching the 'whys' behind the rumors and scary stories.

It's good to know that most of those things are just overblown urban legends.

This whole thread is making me feel so much better about all the scary rumors we used to hear as kids growing up. The preachers would quote the verses, Matt. 10:16 "Wise as serpents, innocent as doves" and Ps. 101:3 about not putting anything evil before our eyes, to keep us from actually researching the 'whys' behind the rumors and scary stories.

It's good to know that most of those things are just overblown urban legends.

Awww, it is not cool to frighten the kids with the scary stuff to the point all the fun is sucked out of it.

Why Matt 10:16? :think:

Know Perchtenlauf if that is what you're referring to! I am from Austria too, rural part, in 20 years I have never heard of this particular cloth-thing, only other heathen traditions. But I never understood the mixup of Christianity and folkloristic supersticion, you basically give ghosts more power than your omnipotent God. Boggles my mind.

Awww, it is not cool to frighten the kids with the scary stuff to the point all the fun is sucked out of it.

Why Matt 10:16? :think:

well they would say wise in the ways of God but innocent to everything else; innocent and ignorant of anything that wasn't their version of 'godly'.

Fundie-think, it's a whole different language! :lol:

Know Perchtenlauf if that is what you're referring to! I am from Austria too, rural part, in 20 years I have never heard of this particular cloth-thing, only other heathen traditions. But I never understood the mixup of Christianity and folkloristic supersticion, you basically give ghosts more power than your omnipotent God. Boggles my mind.

LOL, neat. A fellow Landsmann/frau? :lol: Can´t believe you NOT heard of the "laundry rule". Where are you from originally?

Here´s a helpful link from sagen.at to catch up on it, particular @Athunis because that´s how we roll where my family´s from :lol:

http://www.sagen.at/forum/showthread.php?t=1287

No, not Perchtennlauf;) Perchtnlauf is in almost every county + Südtirol and parts of Bavaria. Wilde Jagd staging is a Salzburg thing.

http://www.salzburg.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Untersberg

But I never understood the mixup of Christianity and folkloristic supersticion, you basically give ghosts more power than your omnipotent God. Boggles my mind.

I wouldn´t see it that way. It is more a integration and co-existence of traditions.

The whole watch out for demons coming in on Goodwill items is pretty goofy. There are some oddball stories about objects retaining negative energy say a murder weapon or chains used in a mideval torture dungeon. I don't know if the Zaffis TV show "Haunted Collector" is still in production but it deals with those sorts of objects.

Aren't there supposed to be counter measures to these sorts of "problem objects"? I have heard of doing things like soaking an item in salt water, or leaving it out in bright sunlight. In the case of something beyond cleansing burn it, fire destroys matter and presumably any unholy energy attached to it.

Years ago the ex and I were on vacation and in a lovely B&B. Our hosts were a deeply fundamentalist family of lobster and tuna fishermen. Nice family, but they were seriously worried about exposing their grade-school aged children to Harry Potter. They asked us what we thought about Harry Potter and if it really was a problem or a bad influence. Both of us had read all the books available at the time.

I told them it was just harmless fantasy and pretend. I explained the "spells" used by Hogwart's students were just "bastardized Latin" when not completely made up, thus were harmless because they were pretend. As far as I could tell there was nothing related to real witchcraft in the books. (Most of the witches I know personally are along the lines of Wiccan folks, which I see as a harmless early Earth religion.) I might as well have been talking to a brick wall. Didn't make even a tiny dent in their fear. So I was left wondering, why did they bother to ask?

Purple goo.

(Warehouse 13 is definitely not fundie-friendly :lol: )

Purple goo.

(Warehouse 13 is definitely not fundie-friendly :lol: )

Oh my god best. Show. Ever. I wish I could find a place to warn season 5. Prime makes you pay and I'm a broke person.

How, exactly, does one become a rock music demonology expert? Is there a major for that?

Was it Bob Larsen? We were ALL ABOUT Bob Larsen (except for the "all rock music is evil" thing; my dad kept vinyl copies of several albums without a turntable, because of the "temptation" -- but he wasn't gonna burn his Zeppelin).

But the "innocent as doves" thing doesn't mean be IGNORANT. It means that even though you know everything, you still don't do anything wrong.

So learn all about contraceptives and STDs but don't have sex. Recognise all the Nigerian scams and phishing emails but don't ever defraud someone. Learn everything about demons and stay away from them.

My MIL decides what her day will be like depending on the Magpies in her yard.

I had a scary ouiji board expierence that involved moving objects. I know Milton Bradley and all it was scary. Also we visited an abandoned house in the woods where pentagrams were spray painted all over the walls and we saw orbs and heard laughing. This was while visiting my best friend who moved away. I stayed with her for four days. I was not a drug user at the time. Terrifying.

Archived