IGNORED

Jim Bob Continuing to Put Out Misinformation About The Pill

LongDogMom

Starcasm had an article today (http://starcasm.net/archives/292346) about Jim Bob Duggar being in the news a lot lately talking about The Pill and how it aborts babies. This is not true and has been discredited by The Mayo Clinic citing how that might have been the belief in the past but they've found it is not true. The Pill actually prevents the egg from implanting so no embryo or fetus is formed. I like how he mentions that it was a Christian doctor that explained it to them, as if a non-Christian dr wouldn't be as informed or something. :? Here's the blurb:

-------------------------------

"Jim Bob Duggar says the pill is like abortion

In real-time, the Duggars’ views on abortion have been in the spotlight for the past few weeks as the family rallies behind pro-life candidates hoping to win November elections. Following his daughter’s lead, Jim Bob is the latest to cause some controversy by saying the common birth control pill is “abortive.â€

“Something we didn’t know is that the pill can allow women to get pregnant, but then it can be aborted,†Jim Bob told The Friddle Show’s Krystal Heath in a newly published interview from September. “That’s what happened with Michelle. She went on the pill after Josh and then got pregnant, and then the pill actually caused a miscarriage. We started looking at the fine print of the contraception, and it said this could happen, and then we talked to a Christian doctor, and he explained this to us.†Jim Bob added that’s a reason Christians should be wary of the “liberal left,†which, he said, runs “legislation that’s just really in the face of Christians.â€

However, the vast majority of medical experts disagree with Jim Bob’s belief about the pill’s connection to miscarriages or “abortions.†From the Mayo Clinic…

In the past, doctors had concerns that if you conceived immediately after stopping the pill, you had a higher risk of miscarriage. However, these concerns have proved to be largely unfounded. The hormones in birth control pills don’t linger in your system… If you continued taking your birth control pill because you didn’t realize you were pregnant, don’t be alarmed. Despite years of this accident happening, there’s very little evidence that exposure to the hormones in birth control pills causes birth defects."

---------------------

Instead of getting the newest and most accurate medical information available on the subject, Jim Bob is out there on tv and giving interviews stating as a fact that the Pill causes abortion and therefore is B-A-D! That really frustrates me because I believe if someone is going to get out there and publicly state their views to the public about something so important, they have a responsibility to make sure what they saying is backed up by scientific fact. But then again, it's the Duggars we are talking about...when have they ever let scientific fact get in the way of their beliefs? :pull-hair:

You couldn't get JB and M to change this position if Jesus himself came down and told them this. Because it is essential to M's sanity.

I think M never really dealt with the emotions surrounding her first miscarriage. She was looking for something to blame, and BAM! there it was: the pill. It can be easier for some people to deal with something by saying "This bad thing happened because I did X, which is a sin, so I was punished by God with Y." It's harder for non-critical thinkers to come to terms with "A bad thing happened to me. There was no reason. Sometimes bad things happen and God lets them happen." which is what she would have to do if she accepted that she just miscarried.

Basically, I think M needed something and still needs something to blame, and this was it.

You couldn't get JB and M to change this position if Jesus himself came down and told them this. Because it is essential to M's sanity.

I think M never really dealt with the emotions surrounding her first miscarriage. She was looking for something to blame, and BAM! there it was: the pill. It can be easier for some people to deal with something by saying "This bad thing happened because I did X, which is a sin, so I was punished by God with Y." It's harder for non-critical thinkers to come to terms with "A bad thing happened to me. There was no reason. Sometimes bad things happen and God lets them happen." which is what she would have to do if she accepted that she just miscarried.

Basically, I think M needed something and still needs something to blame, and this was it.

Well, of course she does, otherwise, what is the point of having 19 kids...their whole way of life would be completely ridiculous (oh wait....it is!!)

My reactions, in order of occurrence:

1. Oh, wow... :? I didn't know they were still spouting this crap. I thought it was something they said a long time ago that just kind of stuck.

2. Laugh hysterically at the ridiculousness.

3. Yes, JimBob, the pill grew legs in Michelle's stomach and then, somehow, crawled to her uterus, where it ripped the 'baby' off and threw it down the hole. Never mind the fact that: "Among women who know they are pregnant, about 10 to 15 out of 100 pregnancies (10 to 15 percent) end in miscarriage. As many as half of all pregnancies may end in miscarriage—we don’t know the exact number because many may happen before a woman knows she’s pregnant." (March of Dimes).

So how does he explain baby #20 miscarriage?

And unless he has a vagina or a medical degree he shouldn't even be talking about what the pill can't and can do. I'm pretty sure science has other things to say about birth control

This reminds me I forgot to take my pill this morning. I'll take care of that now.

Is that your abortion for today? I'm getting my abortion on Monday but mine is only every 13 weeks. And I get my flu shot too, so I can get .

While the story isn't new, his mention of the Dr. who shared the misinformation being "christian" is new to me. Seems like they just found a doctor to confirm what they already believed to be true

I'd take medical advice from Dr. Nick Riviera (noted graduate of Hollywood Upstairs Medical College) before I'd listen to Dr. Dim Bulb.

While the story isn't new, his mention of the Dr. who shared the misinformation being "christian" is new to me. Seems like they just found a doctor to confirm what they already believed to be true

I've heard that the doctor was "Christian" before. There are a number of such doctors that put out this misinformation to their patients. It's extremely unethical.

Makes me wonder if the Dr who told them that, almost thirty years ago, still believes it despite major advances in science? Does the doctor know what resulted from that bit of information?

It's only a matter of time until Dim Bulb has his Todd Akin "women's bodies shut the whole thing down" moment.

And I, for one, can't wait.

:snooty:

It's only a matter of time until Dim Bulb has his Todd Akin "women's bodies shut the whole thing down" moment.

And I, for one, can't wait.

:snooty:

I think you mean when it falls out of his mouth?I it is already there in his mind

Is that your abortion for today? I'm getting my abortion on Monday but mine is only every 13 weeks. And I get my flu shot too, so I can get .

I thought about that that, but I really can't resist the thrill of 'aborting' blessings daily.

This really gets my goat!! Not only is JB straight up WRONG, but how dare he spout about the EVILS of birth control but then pledge to eradicate abortions. Seems to me if birth control is PREVENTING a lot of unwanted pregnancies! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Well they would certainly never trust a secular doctor. My MIL is the same way...she will only see "godly" doctors...as if they are somehow more qualified in their field? :roll:

This really gets my goat!! Not only is JB straight up WRONG, but how dare he spout about the EVILS of birth control but then pledge to eradicate abortions. Seems to me if birth control is PREVENTING a lot of unwanted pregnancies! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

ah, but see, that's where we ebil atheist feminists are mistaken! every baby is a blessing! we just need to trust god to provide for us and he will bless us accordingly. it worked out swimmingly for them!

Well they would certainly never trust a secular doctor. My MIL is the same way...she will only see "godly" doctors...as if they are somehow more qualified in their field? :roll:

i think among some christians, they prefer an equally christian (doctor, contractor, dentist, basically any profession they will utilize) person, because "not only will they have the knowledge of their field, but they will have the extra insight provided by a personal relationship with god that will also help direct them."

or something like that. *shrug*

ah, but see, that's where we ebil atheist feminists are mistaken! every baby is a blessing! we just need to trust god to provide for us and he will bless us accordingly. it worked out swimmingly for them!

I adore kids, I am a former nanny. I LOOOOOOVE my baby! He's the coolest freaking 8 month old ever (I'm totally biased of course). That said, I take my pill religiously (pun intended).

I adore kids, I am a former nanny. I LOOOOOOVE my baby! He's the coolest freaking 8 month old ever (I'm totally biased of course). That said, I take my pill religiously (pun intended).

i definitely want kids in the future. plural. i'm thinking around four or five, maybe. but i also know that i want to be in a better financial situation than right now. and i also want to put some space between them (i'd rather not have multiple kids in diapers, if i can help it). but apparently, according to boob, i'm not a good person because i'm being responsible with my reproduction.

cuz yeah, having kid after kid after kid with no guarantee (until tlc came along, and thank the gods for their kids sake) of being able to support and provide for them.

So there is an article out there in the Archives of Family Medicine that says that in the event that a woman ovulates despite the pill and the egg joins with the sperm- embryo- they don't know if, due to the pill's effect of thinning the lining of the uterus, it MIGHT prevent implantation. It might; it might not. They don't know. If you are very pro-life, you might choose not to take the pill if you were informed of that. But there is no proof either way.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2006/PSCF9-06Sullivan.pdf which reference the article in the peer reviewed journal: W. L. Larimore and J. Stanford, “Postfertilization Effects of Oral Contraceptives and Their Relationship to Informed Consent,†Archives of Family Medicine 9 (February 2000): 126–33. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10693729 .

So there is an article out there in the Archives of Family Medicine that says that in the event that a woman ovulates despite the pill and the egg joins with the sperm- embryo- they don't know if, due to the pills affect on thinning the lining of the uterus, it MIGHT prevent implantation. It might; it might not. They don't know. If you are very pro-life, you might choose not to take the pill if you were informed of that. But there is no proof either way.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2006/PSCF9-06Sullivan.pdf which reference the article in the peer reviewed journal: W. L. Larimore and J. Stanford, “Postfertilization Effects of Oral Contraceptives and Their Relationship to Informed Consent,†Archives of Family Medicine 9 (February 2000): 126–33. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10693729 .

it's tough to say if that affects it or not because of the simple fact that some fertilized eggs don't implant anyway, for whatever reason, and are just expelled with the next period. pregnancies - and the human body in general - are weird.

it's tough to say if that affects it or not because of the simple fact that some fertilized eggs don't implant anyway, for whatever reason, and are just expelled with the next period. pregnancies - and the human body in general - are weird.

Yup, which is called a "chemical pregnancy"...a very early miscarriage. My first pregnancy was such, still heartbreaking though. Technically they aren't "expelled with the next period". I won't get crazy technical but it's not exactly the same, even though it seems like it.

Archived