IGNORED

Blessed Sisters Of St. Ahd

MamaJunebug

This may not be the correct forum for it, if so, of course please move it – but I had a thought: there is hope for the rapidly aging stay at home daughters. The Botkins, poor Sarah, the Zeses, the Ahthelifers and more.

And it is – so perfect – so applicable – so full of potential! – A convent.

Sisters of the stay-at-home daughters, reverentially known as St. Ahd.

Anybody who's familiar with nuns over the past century or so knows that they are far from the sweet, meek, ethereally forgiving types that Audrey Hepburn (RIP!) portrayed in "A Nun's Story."

They get hospitals built, they get orphanages built, their hospitals compete with the best corporate ones, they strike - even now - awe and a benign fear into those they come in contact with. How could they not? They are women on a mission from God.

Best of all, they are independent as far as they want themselves to be. They know how to raise money, how to get things done, and most of the ones I have encountered seem to really enjoy life!

I saw Poor Sarah in action one time, getting Mary and Anna into line at a Maxsales event. It was time for them to go on stage and they were dallying. Poor Sarah would have none of that! Sisters of St. Ahd have authority and know how to use it.

We know that the Ahthelifers can dig up yards of pipe and septic tanks on their own more or less.

The Botkins know from publishing. The Zes gals have direct experience with hospitality and apartment management.

And best of all, while they do check in with whatever priest or monsignor has been assigned as their – I don't know what the church calls it – these women generally work independently and on their own steam. No overbearing, weird-ass biological father looming over them and saying where and when and how and with whom they may go.

I thought of this in a clever moment – more or less – but the more I think about it, these women could really make a difference in the world! And again, they would be respectful of, but not kowtowing to, their bio-dads.

It's Less likely than Jaunty John Maxwell joining the Kilty Pleasures, I know. But boy – would I love to see this happen. ( John dancing, I wouldn't mind, either! )

Would be nice but I can't see the Botkins really caring about actually making a difference in the world. The nuns I know are running homeless shelters- the ones that turn no-one away including people who've been thrown out of every other shelter in town. They're teaching at really tough inner city schools and actually helping those teenage mothers. The Botkins couldn't handle any of that. Those poor people often smell bad and use unladylike language...

Lol I wish! I would love to see some fundie sisters or nuns.

I wonder if they could truly serve the poor though. Could they care for AIDS patients? Are they resourceful enough to find a single mother affordable housing? Could they assist felons in finding work?

I honestly don't know if they have it in them. Sure they serve their own, but outsiders?

It's a nice thought. I worked with Nuns when I worked at a home for mentally handicapped adults. We can snark on the Catholic Church all we want but those women were DEDICATED to the residents there. My sister lives there and I have peace of mind becuase I know how hard they work and they will advocate for her.

Archived