IGNORED

God played a song on the radio for her

formergothardite

I decided to check out a blog I found last year and hadn't looked at in a long time and found that the woman running it is just as insufferable as she was last year. :lol: Last year she was all about how atheist have no morals and Muslims want to kill everyone, well, this year atheist still have no morals and are irrational. BUT, she is rational because she liked a song, prayed God would let it come on the radio and it did! She heard the song three different days! That is solid proof of God right there. Sure he could have like given a starving child food, but no, she is for sure God's special snowflake and got her song that she asked for. :roll:

If the God that will answer her request for a song will ignore the cries of a child is hungry, then I'm fine with hell. Satan sounds nicer. Only a truly evil deity would give a privileged woman a song she wants while letting people go without necessities.

On another note, the other day I was thinking of a song and could only think of a line or two and was wishing it would come on the radio, and that evening I heard it on the radio while I was taking my evening walk. And then a day later I saw a Buzzfeed post that mentioned it. I am not friends with God, did not ask him to play that song. Is God showing "favor" on me? If so I will kindly ask that he keep those favors and go spend them on people who actually need His help. I would have Googled the song and found it on my own eventually.

Do you know that every single time I get in my car a particular song comes on? Because two days ago I said, “I LOVE that song, God, can you play it for me? Next song on was it. The next time I get in my car…it’s on. Took my kids to their class, and it’s on. Drive home from a debate at church…my song comes on. You could say. Well…radio stations play certain songs periodically on the air for publicity..and…the coincidence….

For 3 days?! After I asked specifically for it from Him? Driving random times in very short trips to a library, or to church in the same city? They must play that particular song a LOT! I happen to believe the opposite of what the atheists tonight do. That I was created. Fashioned for the specific purpose to love and know God. In submitting to that truth, He shows wisdom, favor, and love towards me in many numerous ways. It’s a friendship unlike any other. He’s God

misunderstoodgod.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/points-of-debate/

I thought for sure this post was going to be about Raquel.

I thought for sure this post was going to be about Raquel.

Me too, and now I am well and truly dismayed because there are at least two people walking around thinking God is doing incredibly mundane tasks just for them.

From my extensive research on the Christian blogosphere, I'd say god is way too busy answering petty prayer requests to deal with war, famine, disease etc. Maybe if the fundies stopped asking for songs on the radio, horses and iPhone covers, he'd have time to take care of the really big problems. Or not.

Me too, and now I am well and truly dismayed because there are at least two people walking around thinking God is doing incredibly mundane tasks just for them.

Me three.

I almost wish she would drop by for a fundie Friday because if you read her interactions with anyone who disagrees with her she is amusing. She claims to be this expert in teaching people to debate atheists but when any atheist tries to debate her she falls apart.

Me three.

Im not the only one then.

I cant believe there is more than one person who thinks of God as a prayer vending machine.

Actually, I can...

That's the sort of thing I imagined God doing when I was a kid. Kind of like a year-round Santa Claus.

That was kind of the last straw for me a few years ago when I got a "praise report" passed on to me that my mom's friend's son heard a song he used to square dance to while he was traveling in Romania. That was it, and it showed that God has such a sense of humor and cares about us so much! This was right after I had read another story about people losing children to starvation and other preventable diseases despite all their prayers, but apparently God cared more about a Romanian club's playlist than the starving children.

I just can't take that attitude. Even if it were real, I wouldn't want God to be saving me a parking place or changing the weather for my birthday when he is letting other people be tortured and starved and enslaved.

Imagine if a doctor were putting a band-aid on you while someone else was bleeding to death nearby. Only the most self-centered, egotistical person would find that acceptable, let alone something to brag about.

Well that's a total disappointment. I was totally expecting a an FG post on Raquel who heard her 'band' on the radio.

I was salivating waiting for the snark :lol:

A lot of Christians see God in everything good that happens to them, but never the bad, which gets annoying especially considering that the people actually responsible for the good things never get the credit. Maybe it's because believing in Him already takes loads of faith and mental backflips so they're desperate to reaffirm their beliefs in whatever way possible. Back when I was religious, I pretty much thought the same way. When I gave my testimony in church, I claimed that hearing "Silent Night" on the radio was God's sign to me that I should get baptized.

The more I thought about it, the more people's self-centered ideas about God stopped making sense. Why would the creator of the universe divinely manipulate the radio station DJ into playing your favorite song while children die of AIDS in Africa? It really just shows how selfish people (including me) can be. :cry:

Sorry for the rant, I just felt the need to get that out of my system!

Oh OTBT, Raquel's band has only managed to half-ass a praise song. I'm not even sure God can get them on the radio.

A lot of Christians see God in everything good that happens to them, but never the bad, which gets annoying especially considering that the people actually responsible for the good things never get the credit. Maybe it's because believing in Him already takes loads of faith and mental backflips so they're desperate to reaffirm their beliefs in whatever way possible. Back when I was religious, I pretty much thought the same way. When I gave my testimony in church, I claimed that hearing "Silent Night" on the radio was God's sign to me that I should get baptized.

The more I thought about it, the more people's self-centered ideas about God stopped making sense. Why would the creator of the universe divinely manipulate the radio station DJ into playing your favorite song while children die of AIDS in Africa? It really just shows how selfish people (including me) can be. :cry:

Sorry for the rant, I just felt the need to get that out of my system!

Thanks! i was going to post the same rant :lol: Don't feel bad about it, it's just the system you were in at the time. A close friend of mine is still stuck in that. Billboards, random goofy things... It's so wishy-washy! How can they ever be sure of anything if some random song is going to mess with their equilibrium? Saw this the other day and it totally made sense.

892bbfb7021222a77aa7d664a87002d3.jpg

Even if the "praying" is to whatever someone believes in, it's still people that do the work. :romance-grouphug:

Sometimes I hear snippets of music on the radio that appeal to me while I am out and about. If it's a song I'm not familiar with, it's not uncommon for me to write down a few of the lyrics, google them when I get home, and then when I find the name and artist behind the song, download it from itunes.

So by this blogger's reasoning, would this be a case of the Lord helping those who help themselves? :lol:

One of the many things that annoys me about this blogger is that despite having many atheists explain things to her, she just sticks her fingers in her ears and screams "LA LA LA" as loud as she can and then immediately goes back to blogging the exact same things over and over again. She is like Lori, always telling people what to think but refusing to learn anything herself.

This post, Why Are You Angry, is a good example of it. I am pretty sure she has posted things like this before and people comment explaining why they aren't angry, but she ignores it because it doesn't fit what she wants to believe.

So why are there so many wrestling with the person of Jesus Christ?

Because people are told to believe in Jesus and the proof is sketchy at best so they end up trying to force themselves to believe in something that they find hard to believe in? And most people of other religions don't wrestle with the idea of Jesus because they were not raised to believe in him.

Why does Jesus make you so angry?

Jesus doesn't make me angry at all. I know lots of very lovely people who are followers of Jesus. There are so many posters here who follow Jesus who I admire and respect. So it isn't Jesus who makes me angry, it is when people use Jesus/Bible/God as an excuse to be horrible and self-absorbed and when they try and force their religious beliefs on me all in the name of Jesus. I'm pretty sure Jesus would be giving the side-eye to "God played me a song" lady.

Why do you spend a great deal of your existence wrestling with His love for you?

I don't. I did spend a huge chunk of my life struggling to force myself to believe, crying out to God, wondering why I couldn't have that unshakable faith that so many seemed to have, but finally I accepted that I just can't believe anymore and that is okay.

Why can’t you accept His love?

Well, for starters there is nothing to accept, and then, why would I want to accept this woman's God's love? He sounds pretty darn awful. A good deity won't care if I believe in him, he will care about what I did while I was alive. Only a bad deity will throw a little tantrum and torture people for not believing in him.

misunderstoodgod.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/why-are-you-angry/

Some of my more religious friends are very mature in their relationship to their deity. They understand that horrible things happen and that life is not exactly fair. However, I have met a depressingly large number of people who view god as their own special vending machine. Prayer goes in, gift comes out.

Either selfish people are more attracted to certain forms of their religion or certain forms of their religion encourages selfishness. Although it is not always true, vending machine god seems more common among those with really selfish political beliefs.

But we have over 24,000 original manuscripts of the New Testament alone…

What is her definition of an original manuscript? If a manuscript is original wouldn't that mean there was only one? Even if the original of every NT book and letter was found wouldn't that only be one per book? There aren't 24,ooo books in the New Testament. The oldest copy of the New Testament book that we have discovered is from St John and dates back to the second century. It is not an original but a copy.

library.manchester.ac.uk/searchresources/guidetospecialcollections/stjohnfragment/

What is her definition of an original manuscript? If a manuscript is original wouldn't that mean there was only one? Even if the original of every NT book and letter was found wouldn't that only be one per book? There aren't 24,ooo books in the New Testament. The oldest copy of the New Testament book that we have discovered is from St John and dates back to the second century. It is not an original but a copy.

library.manchester.ac.uk/searchresources/guidetospecialcollections/stjohnfragment/

She discussed the "original manuscripts" last year with several commenters and she doesn't really seem to understand what she is talking about. People would point out to her that what she was claiming were first hand accounts where often written a hundred or so years after Jesus died and she couldn't grasp it.

I get the impression that she is a lot like Lori, she fancies herself an expert but when faced with even the simplest challenge she wilts and has to call for back-up. Lori has Ken, this woman just copies from books she had read but doesn't understand.

Vending Machine God does seem to describe her God perfectly. People like her seem to think she deserves to get whatever she wants. The people who don't clearly aren't as loved by God.

Some of my more religious friends are very mature in their relationship to their deity. They understand that horrible things happen and that life is not exactly fair. However, I have met a depressingly large number of people who view god as their own special vending machine. Prayer goes in, gift comes out.

Either selfish people are more attracted to certain forms of their religion or certain forms of their religion encourages selfishness. Although it is not always true, vending machine god seems more common among those with really selfish political beliefs.

This is exactly how I would describe my faith. I don't believe that God/Jesus "makes" things happen in this world - good or bad. Sometimes shit just happens. I do believe, however, that faith (whatever it might be) can help you DEAL with the things that happen. When I pray, it is almost inevitably for strength and/or understanding, not intervention.

Well this makes me mad because I used to pray a lot for a night's sleep - just five or six hours of uninterrupted sleep. I've suffered from insomnia for years and for a while I prayed for sleep. It seemed so simple. But I still don't sleep so I finally realized - "eh....He's not gonna make it happen."

Now if I'd known God was busy with the radio, I wouldn't have bothered him. Still it kind of seems like favoritism so I'm a little miffed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think what really happened was that this woman liked a very popular song and since it was on her mind she just happened to notice it each time the radio was on. It's like when you're pregnant, you notice all the pregnant women; or when you buy a red car, you notice all the red cars on the road.

My former next-door neighbor was a big believer in The God of the Mundane Event. Some of our conversations:

Her: How ARE you? Jesus told me to call you today!

Me: Well I wish he would have told you to call me last week because I had something to tell you then. Now I've forgotten.

Her: Tells me about a friend who has a rash that won't clear up and she can't get an appointment with a dermatologist (for some reason, you have to wait six months in this town)

Me: I tell her to tell her friend to go see Dr. X. He actually works five days a week and you can get in to see him

Her, later: Praise Jesus! He told me to call you that day and my friend saw that doctor and her rash is finally gone!

Me: I had been meaning to call you all summer. If Jesus had actually made me do it, your friend could have got her rash cleared up three months earlier.

Me, after killer tornadoes: OMG I left to go pick up son #1 at school and the weather was fine so I left son #2 at home alone since I'd only be gone 10 minutes. Tornado formed, principal locked down the school so I couldn't leave, power went out, cell phone towers were destroyed so I couldn't get through to son #2!

Her: So he was home alone during the storms?

Me: Well, luckily the cleaning service was supposed to come that day and they showed up right before the storm hit. They stayed there with him in the storm shelter until I could get home.

Her: Praise Jesus! He sent the maids so son #2 wouldn't be alone!

Me: Woulda been nice if he could have not sent the tornadoes in the first place, considering people died. :x

Surprisingly, she still talks to me.

And that song was "In the Garden of Eden" by I. Ron Butterfly. :wink-kitty:

She discussed the "original manuscripts" last year with several commenters and she doesn't really seem to understand what she is talking about. People would point out to her that what she was claiming were first hand accounts where often written a hundred or so years after Jesus died and she couldn't grasp it.

I get the impression that she is a lot like Lori, she fancies herself an expert but when faced with even the simplest challenge she wilts and has to call for back-up. Lori has Ken, this woman just copies from books she had read but doesn't understand.

Vending Machine God does seem to describe her God perfectly. People like her seem to think she deserves to get whatever she wants. The people who don't clearly aren't as loved by God.

Sounds a bit like a user title to me :shifty-kitty:

When I was a teenager, every radio station played that stupid Ace of Base song "The Sign" all freakin day. I could never escape it. I would like to slap whoever was praying for that song to be played. I still hate that song to this day.

Archived